Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jhon View Post
    Hi, I confirm what was reported by the user TeddyRaspin. With 44Khz (16/24) the system works properly, above (48 to 192Khz) audio drop-offs.

"The Xonar Phoebus is linked to an external Yamaha amplifier, model HTR-4069 via Lindy optical cable on the S/PDIF port."
    The same optical cable I'm currently using (but of course it's not a cable issue). Thanks for your report, I think the Asus team will
    hard work to fix it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

UPDATE!

Issue not fixed with generic driver (pitch problem is still present but more subtle with 48 KHz multiples).

Conclusion: sound card works better with multiples of 44.1 KHz.

Best determined settings to result in the least amount of problems: 44.1 KHz, 24-bit.

System Specs:
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI Plus
    Processor: Intel Core i5-7500 (KABY LAKE) (stock speed)
    RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 MHz
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64
    Graphics Card: MSI GAMING Radeon RX 480 GDDR5 8GB (Gaming Edition, not overclocked one)
    Hard Disk: WD Blue 1TB (WD10EZEX)

Additional Hardware (not attached unless recording from SPDIF sources):
    M-AUDIO M-Track Plus

Virtual Loopback Drivers:
    Virtual Audio Cable

Physical MIDI Devices (generally not attached):
    Yamaha PRS-295

Virtual MIDI Devices:
    BASSMIDI System Synth
    Last edited by SoundMan; 04-20-2017 at 02:23 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

@SoundMan

I can confirm that frequencies multiple of 44.1 KHz works fine even with S/PDIF optical cable and that the audio drops-off
    occurrs at 48 KHz, as well as with its multiple frequencies, even with the generic Microsoft driver (Windows 10 Creators Update 1703).

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyRaspin View Post
    I can confirm that frequencies multiple of 44.1 KHz works fine even with S/PDIF optical cable and that the audio drops-off
    occurrs at 48 KHz, as well as with its multiple frequencies, even with the generic Microsoft driver (Windows 10 Creators Update 1703).
    Sound card hardware is like that as it often either works the best at multiples of 44.1 KHz or multiples of 48 KHz. A driver can't fix hardware quirks like that. Fortunately this is so common across various kinds of audio hardware that the best fix is to use what works the best. A change in other hardware can cause this to manifest and actually show itself, sometimes it flip-flops because of other hardware being changed or a change in software can expose what your audio hardware works best with. It's what your hardware works best with, so you should use what works the best for you.

At least you're not stuck with a crap sample rate like 8 KHz.

Bit Depth has no effect because internally all the DACs run at 24-bits. 16-bits streams are simply padded with zeros on the bottom 8-bits when played.
    Last edited by SoundMan; 04-20-2017 at 11:45 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

@SoundMan

You're absolutely right, but in order to have 5.1 audio in games, I need Dolby Digital Live which uses 48 KHz. As with Sound Blaster Z there are no issues at all and the rest of my hardware configuration is the same, I have to assume that the Xonar Phoebus has something wrong and it should be very strange and unacceptable that the 48 KHz audio drops-off is due to an hardware issue strictly related to the Xonar hardware itself instead of a driver one.

Furthermore, such issues occurr only via S/PDIF port, no problems if you use an Analogic speaker configuration, that's the reason I hope a fix will come out, otherwise this sound card can't be fully utilized.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyRaspin View Post
    @SoundMan

You're absolutely right, but in order to have 5.1 audio in games, I need Dolby Digital Live which uses 48 KHz. As with Sound Blaster Z there are no issues at all and the rest of my hardware configuration is the same, I have to assume that the Xonar Phoebus has something wrong and it should be very strange and unacceptable that the 48 KHz audio drops-off is due to an hardware issue strictly related to the Xonar hardware itself instead of a driver one.

Furthermore, such issues occur only via S/PDIF port, no problems if you use an Analog speaker configuration, that's the reason I hope a fix will come out, otherwise this sound card can't be fully utilized.
    Creative cards famously have had problems with 44.1 KHz and resampling everything to 48 KHz (sometimes poorly). The Creative card might be a better option to use in that case if you're trying to use SPDIF out with Dolby Digital Live and need 48 KHz audio.

I have problems with 48 KHz on analog out (both headphones and speakers) with ASUS XONAR Phoebus. I have a 5.1 setup that uses analog connections and has no digital connections.

If you're using a digital connection you're basically bypassing all the DACs, so any sound card can be used or even onboard audio. Problems here suggest other kinds of hardware problems with codec chips or how it's interacting with the rest of the computer. It can be software related as well such as drivers or operating systems. My educated guess is that this is a hardware problem with this card based on the problem I have.

HDMI can be a far better solution when things cooperate with each other nicely as there is no need to encode Dolby Digital or DTS just send uncompressed PCM basically consuming far fewer resources than using SPDIF options that have to run a Dolby Digital or DTS encoder in real time. Something worth looking into. The modern Windows pipeline (Vista and newer) has support for multiple audio devices and endpoints and being able to pick and choose which ones to use.

You can try the Creative card with it's drivers and ASUS XONAR Phoebus with a basic generic driver in the same computer as well and see how well things work together. I had both the ASUS Phoebus for primary audio and an M-AUDIO USB sound card for SPDIF input recording running together peacefully for a full month without any issues before putting USB card away.

I bought a DTS CD last August and was surprised the DTS stream itself was sampled at 44.1 KHz after ripping it. The supported sample rates for Dolby Digital are 32 KHz, 44.1 KHz and 48 KHz BTW. Some external devices may give you hell with the other two supported rates. Anyway this isn't a selectable option with Dolby Digital Live and part of the specification to use 48 KHz.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Is there any news from the Asus Audio Team ???

ROG Member Array Kenny78 PC Specs
    Kenny78 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
    ProcessorRyzen 5 2600
    Memory (part number)Team T-Force Delta RGB DDR4-3000 4x8GB
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 OC
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1
    MonitorPredator Z35P
    CPU CoolerCooler Master MasterLiquid ML120R
    CaseCooler Master MASTERCASE H500P
    Power SupplyFSP 650W Platinum
    Keyboard Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08
    Mouse Creative Sound BlasterX Siege M04
    Headset SteelSeries SIBERIA P800
    Mouse Pad Icemat
    Headset/Speakers Creative Sound BlasterX Katana

seems like i'm having the same issue.

when set to DDL, it has the sample rate of 48khz. however, when i play any games, the sound drop offs are terrible. i'm using the razer leviathan and the dolby logo will be flickering with every sound drop off.

but when i set it to 44.1khz, perfect but not in DDL. Annoying ain't it?

so this is an Asus problem?

P.S. anyway to set DDL to run sample rate of 44.1khz? lol

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny78 View Post
    seems like i'm having the same issue.

when set to DDL, it has the sample rate of 48khz. however, when i play any games, the sound drop offs are terrible. i'm using the razer leviathan and the dolby logo will be flickering with every sound drop off.

but when i set it to 44.1khz, perfect but not in DDL. Annoying ain't it?

so this is an Asus problem?

P.S. anyway to set DDL to run sample rate of 44.1khz? lol
    48khz, 192khz gets slower, pitch down sound.(Using ASIO)

I think this is Asus problem and no hope to solve.

So I buy a new Strix Raid DLX...

Ex-employee Array

We are sorry to inform you that we will no longer be able to offer support for the ROG Xonar Phoebus due to the following reasons:
    1) Dolby no longer supports PCEE4 for Windows 10
    2) On the Phoebus, both DDL and DTS can only work with PCEE4.

The Phoebus was originally released in 2012, and the supported OS at the time was Windows 7. Without proper support from Dolby, it’s expected that driver compatibility issues will continue to arise with future OS updates, so the Phoebus is now discontinued and we are no longer able to support it.

Below are the latest and final driver versions that are confirmed to have a majority of the features working for Windows 10:

The latest software version – v4.29 (with Dolby):
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Aud...464.1476265282

The latest software version – v1.1.14 (without Dolby)
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Aud...464.1476265282

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6