cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd performance issue with my G751JT-CH71 after RAM upgrade, solved?

mhenzo
Level 7
Hello, I have had my G751JT-CH71 for about 1.5 years now and I recently purchased 32gb 1.3v 2133mhz G.skill memory(model:F3-2133C11Q-32GRSL).
I carefully installed the ram(all 4 slots) and made sure no damage was caused to any part of the notebook in the process. Since the stock ram was only 16gb and ran at slower speeds, I would have thought that my fps in games wouldn't fall but... they did.
I play a bunch of games and all of them now run a lot slower than before with the stock ram.
League of legends gets sub 20fps during big fights and it's not really that graphically intensive, however i get 60fps while standing still with no one else around.
Diablo 3 is almost unplayable and before it was smooth as silk 60+fps.
Warframe is unplayable.
All the games are installed on my secondary HD but I wouldn't think that would slow them down.
Windows takes a lot longer to boot and the whole experience just seems to take a lot longer(as in "too long") than it used to.

I have searched for anyone else with this issue but I cant find anything. All drivers(as in all the ones pertaining to my notebook from the asus site) are up to date(tried nvidia beta/normal drivers) and bios updated. All windows updates are installed(even optional ones).

Heres my CPUiD report: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3a4k__3iszvRFl1NlZ2X1NJUW8

Not sure what to do as now my epic gaming rig is just an over-sized chromebook 😞 Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for helping out in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!

You may want to try to get some better suggestions first and already plan on doing this, but if you still have the original memory, consider trying to put it back later just to confirm it will really solve the issue and it's really related to the memory upgrade instead of something else?
I know it may not be the easiest thing to try and hopefully others have some ideas to get that new memory working better before you have to try that.

Don't really expect this would make any difference, but if you can easily remove some of the new memory, thought you might try to pull out the two easily accessible sticks and just see if there is any difference to run the system with 16Gb instead of 32Gb of that new memory.
Doesn't sound like you have a bad memory module, but maybe something to check anyway if it's easy enough or worth the trouble to see if the problems follow any of the modules.

Just throwing out some random ideas out there, so feel free to ignore any that don't make sense.

Good luck!

cl-Albert,
Thanks for the info, now the weekend is here I will try that. Its a little tedious pulling this beast apart and putting it back together then finding out its not ok and you have to go through the process all over again. I'll try it out and get back to you with more info.

Thank you

cl-Albert
mhenzo, was hoping we would get some better suggestions before you go through that again, but yes, if don't want to wait any longer, it may be able to give us a better idea of what's happening.

If it wasn't clear in my last message though, consider pulling 2 sticks of the easily-accessible new memory first (and run it with 2 sticks of the new memory which should be 16gb total?) just to confirm that it doesn't make any difference if you run the system with 16gb or 32gb of the new memory.
If it does make a difference, don't know what to think, but hopefully it can get us closer to the solution.

cl_Albert,
In the process of installing the memory for the first time I reinstalled windows to get a new clean system with new ram ready to go. I didn't realise that the default settings for power management were such a significant bottleneck to graphical performance. With those settings now optimised the games have come back to full life max fps :D. I feel like a fool for not thinking of this but you got to make mistakes to learn a thing or two. I now know to always check system settings to optimise performance over other options. Are there any other settings that vary from the default that might help my system run at its absolute best?

Thanks for helping.

cl-Albert
mhenzo, glad you could figure it out and thanks for sharing. I probably should have asked if you changed anything else at the same time instead of assuming the software was exactly the same as before, but honestly, I probably would have still forgotten to check this.
Anyway, don't have more suggestions for now although we may want to see if anybody else has ideas, or you may want to check back if you notice anything else that doesn't look right. Thanks.