cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow wireless with ROG G751JY ?

pka4916
Level 7
I tried downloading some items, and noticed that the speed dropped real bad.

with my G75VW I get 85 Mbit speed (not sure what was in here)
and with this new laptop only 40-43 Mbit (Asus dual band Wireless AC 7260) seems like it

Are there some setting to improve that?
Tried even speeds tests, and all the same thing...

Running into so many weird issues, that I am starting to dislike this laptop 😞
19 REPLIES 19

pka4916
Level 7
nvm... see tons of other complaints about it...
Tried different drivers, and they all suck...
Send an e-mail to Asus, if I can't get a different wireless modem card.. like in my old G75VW machine.. that one works great... probably because it's not an intel..

AtlasMinor
Level 8
pka4916 wrote:
I tried downloading some items, and noticed that the speed dropped real bad.

with my G75VW I get 85 Mbit speed (not sure what was in here)
and with this new laptop only 40-43 Mbit (Asus dual band Wireless AC 7260) seems like it

Are there some setting to improve that?
Tried even speeds tests, and all the same thing...

Running into so many weird issues, that I am starting to dislike this laptop 😞

Thought i would give some input, if your running the anniversary edition its not your laptop. They currently have known broken issues including

Broke wifi / wifi will disconnect loop

Millions of users webcam are now broken because of the removal of H.285 and MJPEG. Currently only YUY camera work past 1minute

Settings now now known issue and break when used.

MS announced a update fix planned sometime after September.

If you can roll back to 1511, its now advised an to manually try to stop the updates.

If your running another OS version, then i would guess you found the right answers when you ran a search. Saw your Rog model as being fairly new, and just thought id post news i recently uncovered.

pka4916
Level 7
So... the previous version (1511) had high speeds ?

Cause I am looking at the modems. and this one doesn't have the N part. only B/G while the G75VX has the B/G/N
and the N is speeding it to 600-900 /
correct me if i am wrong

pka4916
Level 7
I installed the old windows 10 version, and still the same problem with the speed.

I saw some references with uninstalling Gamefirst, but that's not even installed yet.
Tried different drivers and no luck either.
someone mentioned driver version 17.13.11.5. that's the only one i didn't try.

besides that are there other suggestions? and would .

If i wanted to replace the wireless card.. where is it located? I can't seem to find any info on that

JustinThyme
Level 13
I just posted in the other thread with speed tests that I just did.
This was on G751JY that was an inplace upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 and Win 10 anniversary edition completed about 2 week ago.
There is plenty of info , search G751JY teardown. At least 100 youtube vids. its in the top right side, right about where the M2 key is.
It most likely NOT the card.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

pka4916
Level 7
Thank you.

Think I am returning the laptop. I thought I fixed the Brown glow over all my screen, and it's on the laptop and not on other ones.
After 4 days of being frustrated with the color, slow speed, disconnecting WiFi, randomly freezing, and super lagging when i play a video and do something in the background..
I never had problems with my G75VW, but this one is nothing but problem..

pka4916
Level 7
ok got a new laptop, same model..
This one the screen is good and no more freezing.
They upgraded the Wireless to a Intel AC-8260 and still suffering with slow speeds.
I want my 70-80 Mb speed back, and not the 20-30 Mb..
I have the Windows Ani installed. but also tried the normal Window 10. and no difference.
I played with the channels, and nothing.

So I'm at a loss.
When I look at the network properties it says i have a connecting of 144 Mb. but that ain't the case 😕

the previous ROG_G75VX had a Qualcomm Atheros Wireless card. and that one is a LOT faster than this one.

first it had the default intel card in it, now the AC-8260 and still the same sucky speed

I use an Asus Router RT-AC68U. My wifes cheap laptop, my Ipad Pro our Phones are superfast.. so it's something with this laptop / Wireless part.

pka4916 wrote:

They upgraded the Wireless to a Intel AC-8260 and still suffering with slow speeds.
the previous ROG_G75VX had a Qualcomm Atheros Wireless card. and that one is a LOT faster than this one.

Well the culprit is in fact Intel WiFi card. Intel has problems with those. On their forums there are threads of how ****ty intel wifis are. The thread about 7260 read it. Intel wifis are very unstable now the chip will overheat and throttle down speed or disconnect.
Intel stated they have problem with Data Reordering. I can tell you this disconnects are not sporadic.
I can say this issue also affects 8260 and Intel did not fix it in the latest v19.10 drivers, because with my G752vy I still get slowdowns or disconnects during large file transfers. I don't get problems with Azurewave AW-CB210NF which is Broadcom based. I recommend this card instead 8260 or 7260.
Back in G73jh days Asus used to put Azurewave wifis in G laptops, why they switched to Intel?

pka4916
Level 7
Thanks.

Will the Killer™ Wireless-AC N1535 ac/a/g/n 2x2 NGFF + Bluetooth 4.1 work good?
since I got it from HIDevolution (their service is awesome btw) and very happy with the much better laptop.

Want to replace it myself, since i hate to ship it back and be without another 2 weeks.. have plenty of work deadlines to meet.