cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Strix X99 compatible with Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD?

leebond
Level 7
I'm thinking of getting the Samsung 950 Pro 256gb M.2 for my M.2 PCIE slot. (Previously, was recommended a Samsung 850 EVO SATA M.2 250gb and wasn't compatible...
So I want to be extra sure this time). I have a ASUS ROG Strix x99 and a 6850K processor with 40 PCIE lanes. Definitely have sufficient bandwidth for max output.
Would like to hear from those who with experience to give advice. My motherboard has the M.2 PCIE slot but it doesn't mention NVMe compatibility.

Many thanks in advance!
2 REPLIES 2

Chino
Level 15
Yes, the Samsung 950 Pro is compatible with the Strix X99 motherboard. The reason why the Samsung 850 EVO SATA M.2 isn't compatible is because the Strix X99 only supports PCIe M.2 SSDs. 🙂

This was brought up in at the overclock.net forum as well.

It is in the manual, but! it's not where it supposed to be. If you flip over to Page 1-22. It's the part of the manual that talks about the M2 and U2 connectors. In the M2 section there isn't mention of only compatible with PCIe/NVMe type SSd ONLY.

HOWEVER! If you actually read page 'xi' in the INDEX it mention in brackets that it only support PCIe/NVMe SSD. They need to revised the manual to include it in the page 1-22.