cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX 1070 fans not starting. 93°C

pere5
Level 7
I was running ROG Realbench tests in 15 min intervals to investigate the impact of different case fan configurations on my CPU temperature
when I noticed that something smelled burned.

I checked the GPU temperature which was at 93°C while I was running ROG Realbech stress test!
I stopped the test and then noticed that the fans weren't running at all, at a temp of 93°C!

I waited for them to start but when they didn't I started GPU Tweak II which I don't normally run.
GPU Tweak II showed that NO profile was selected. I clicked on the Gaming profile and the fans went on like crazy!, cooling the card down quickly.

Now I feel that I can not trust my ROG STRIX GTX 1070 card to turn it's fans on when heating! Unless I specifically turn on GPU Tweak II and select a profile...

To the questions:
1. Can my card have gotten damaged by running Realbech at 93°C for 30~40 minutes?
2. HOW can this happen!?
3. What can I do to stop it?

I have installed NVIDIAs GeForce Experience which keeps my GeForce drivers updated.
I didn't for example install the 1070 driver pack from ASUS, only directly from NVIDIA.

4. Is there some ROG specific drivers that I lack?
5. Are there any GPU-card BIOS updates or other than drivers that I need to update?
6. Can my card be broken in some way, either physically or with a software bug?

Please help. I treat my computer with tender love and care and now I feel quite devastated that my most precious component might have been damaged!
6 REPLIES 6

protos
Level 7
This is the reason why I upgraded my cheapie thermaltake(non window panel) case to the Thermaltake Core X31(window panel).

I don't do any bench testing unless all my fans are completely visible.

The only way to find out if there is any damage to your gpu is to run some games or valley benchmarks and compare your results with others.

Hope it doesn't crash or perform badly.

Again before you do this make sure all your fans are visible.

For the record I have Asus GPU tweak II installed and configured and tested correctly. I need my external fans.

Good luck

PS IIRC I did at one stage only had the nvidia driver installed and not the GPU tweak. The fans were working. But mine is a 1080 so could be different
result????

Lastly if you feel like your gpu has been damage, contact Asus

On the left hand corner click on Email Us

https://www.asus.com/au/Graphics-Car...MING/HelpDesk/

you will need to get the serial numbers as the helpdesk will ask for that.

@protos Thanks for the response, I will contact ASUS about this.

But I was also hoping for some ROG people to give some answers to the questions I have about this.
Specifically about what I can do, drivers/software or what might have caused this.

I have been able to reproduce the problem. It´s when the main power to the computer is switched off, then when the computer starts the 1070 will not start its fans. Only by selecting a GPU Tweak II profile will the fans start...

I have uninstalled ASUS AI Suite 3 and the problem seems to have disappeared... Now even after I cut the power completely the fans will turn on when I put the card under load.

ROG, are you listening to this? Bugs in AI Suite 3! I deserve a medal! But I could settle for another 1070 card for SLI. Contact me for my address

pere5 wrote:
I have been able to reproduce the problem. It´s when the main power to the computer is switched off, then when the computer starts the 1070 will not start its fans. Only by selecting a GPU Tweak II profile will the fans start...

I have uninstalled ASUS AI Suite 3 and the problem seems to have disappeared... Now even after I cut the power completely the fans will turn on when I put the card under load.

ROG, are you listening to this? Bugs in AI Suite 3! I deserve a medal! But I could settle for another 1070 card for SLI. Contact me for my address

I suggest you to try this (btw, if u not sure to do this, then dont) :cool: :
Download MSI afterburner (im not sure if you can do this on GPU Tweak II or not), open it, set the fan to manual and set the fan at 100% speed, let it run like 1 minute.
After that, change the fan speed back to auto mode (or you can click default), and make sure all the fans back to auto mode.
Restart your pc, run some bechmarks or play some games, and see if the fans start at 55C or above. If no, try to clean install your Driver. Use DDU and use it in safe mode.
Reinstall your driver, then try another benchmark or play some games. If the fans still don`t work, i think its hardware failure, you should RMA your gpu.

Thanks! I think it was some weird GPU setting override from AI Suite 3 that caused the problem. I uninstall that program and now everything works perfectly.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!