cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G20CB and USB/LED/Wi-Fi issues?

djelec
Level 7
Hi everyone!

Just got the G20CB version with i7 6700, 8GB RAM & GTX1070. Soon after I tried plugging in some of the USB devices I have (LaCie Blade Runner externally powered HDD, and fast USB memory stick) I encountered issues. While everything seems to work on USB 2.0 ports, where my mouse and keyboard are connected, the problem lies in the rest of them (USB 3.0 and 3.1).

As I connect my external drive to any of the four (2x back and 2x front) USB 3.0 ports, mouse and keyboard lose power (!?) and everything becomes unresponsive as soon as data starts being written to the external drive. I also had USB 3.1 issues, where my thumbdrive coudn't start at all. All of the external drives are tested on four different machines and work flawlessly.

I've also noticed that my Wi-FI connection intermittently drops, even though unit is >2 meters away from the router, and regardless of connecting to 5GHz or 2,4GHz.
And, lastly, while LED's on the case look fantastic, regardless of them being set to pulse or static, sometimes they just turn off for a moment and get back on. What could be the cause of this? Power supply issues, mayhaps also related to the USB 3.0 issue(s)?

I already contacted ASUS support re: USB, and there's only one thing left to do as per their advice - restore the whole system. I'll probably do it over the weekend, and then post updates. Will also try and relay other issues (LED & Wi-Fi), now that I've discovered them.

Cheers!
9 REPLIES 9

chilinmichael
Level 10
In regards to the USB issues, try reinstalling the chipset driver from the site along with any other USB drivers (for 3.1 ports and the like).

The lights? I see that sometimes too, seems normal. Seems to happen when switching/starting apps, right?

The wifi is a known issue, driver related. I'm a bit busy now to look, but if you search around here, you'll find the right driver (it's an older version) to use that won't have the issues.

Best of luck.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
In regards to the USB issues, try reinstalling the chipset driver from the site along with any other USB drivers (for 3.1 ports and the like).

Did that, and while everything seems to be working better, I am still unable to connect the HDD and use it on 3.0 ports. 3.1 and 2.0 work. That said, I didn't find the 3.0 driver. Might be worth checking out what exact controller is it then installing something else...not sure. I mean it's not anything ground-breaking, but when all of your USB ports power down when HDD starts writing data, you get scared 😄

chilinmichael wrote:
The lights? I see that sometimes too, seems normal. Seems to happen when switching/starting apps, right?

Ayep! Opening up YouTube vid, and some random ones, too. And only if the computer was wakened from standby. Otherwise there's no issue. I was afraid it had something to do with PSU bricks (especially if you pair this problem with the USB powerdown when I connect external drive. Huh.

chilinmichael wrote:
The wifi is a known issue, driver related. I'm a bit busy now to look, but if you search around here, you'll find the right driver (it's an older version) to use that won't have the issues.

I'll give it a search!

chilinmichael wrote:
Best of luck.

Thanks for helping me out! As long as it's the software issues, I am kind of cool with that, as I don't have to bring the machine to a service or something.

Many thanks for the driver info. As there are plenty of drivers for Realtek 8821AE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC, had to try four of them until I found the one that worked.

So, I installed the 09/07/2015, version 2023.14.615.2015, and for the moment being it's holding the Wi-Fi connection far better. Had only one drop, and that was before I restarted the machine after installing the driver. If anyone else has issues with this, just try it out.

Haven't found solutions to other quirks, though.

hi brothers;

i've got same exact wi-fi ssues with my g20cb. At first it was just slow.. Then dropping issue starts and now my wi-fi connection cancels for a minute for trying to open 2-3 web pages at the same time.. what a disappointment.. so i'll give it a try for downloading an ex-driver for Realtek just as u did.. version 2023.14.615.2015 right? which website u offer for clear download brother?

Thanks

VtheArtist wrote:
which website u offer for clear download brother?

Heya! I've downloaded the one from Lenovo's website. It ought to work, as that's what I have installed.

Cheers!

djelec wrote:
Heya! I've downloaded the one from Lenovo's website. It ought to work, as that's what I have installed.

Cheers!

Thank u so much bro! I found it on Lenovo's website and i'll give it a try! Guess Lenovo offering it for their aio computers, i believe it will be great with g20cb. Here's the link of it on Lenovo's website for other users:

http://support.lenovo.com/tr/tr/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/300-series/aio-300-20ish/downloads...

have fun!

After a few days usage i can easily tell that the old driver on Lenovo's website creates a huge difference on wi-fi stabilization! Speed is a bit better and there is no drop or cancel about internet connection! Not even once; like a magic! I opened Hearthstone to play, started a download on Steam and opened 2-3 web pages includes a hd youtube video and all worked smoothly! So i can easily offer any G20CB user to go back to old wi-fi driver. Thanks for the helpers by the way; have fun!

chilinmichael
Level 10
Yep, the one from Lenovo is the one I used. That's the one.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

RoiLouisDim
Level 7
Hello, sorry to bump a topic that's so old but I have the same issue and the old lenovo driver did not help me at all, it even made the wifi slower. Any ideas ? 😞