Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan control questions on Extreme VIII

Zatie12
Level 7
Hi Folks

A couple of questions about fan control on the Maximus Extreme VIII

- Which temperature sensor is used to determine the temperature on the Q-fan control profiles?
- Is it possible to specify which temperature sensor is used to control fan duty cycle?
- Is there Windows software to configure more advanced Q-fan control settings?

Thanks very much
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15

I have downloaded AI Suite however I can't find Fan Xpert

ricemanhk
Level 7
- Which temperature sensor is used to determine the temperature on the Q-fan control profiles?
You can set this in the BIOS or in the Fan Xpert in AI Suite (it's a module within AI suite, 2nd box on the left on the main page). Default is all linked to the CPU temp

- Is it possible to specify which temperature sensor is used to control fan duty cycle?
Yes, you have a choice of the CPU, VRM, PCH, or motherboard temp sensor. You can also add external temp sensor probe on the 2pin header on the mobo, and you get yet additional ones if you add the optional fan header module.

- Is there Windows software to configure more advanced Q-fan control settings?
Fan Xpert in AI Suite. Does the same thing with the q-fan settings in BIOS, and I find setting it in the BIOS means the fans already follow my profile during POST/boot up, instead of only after windows loads. Small difference, but the default profile esp for PWM fans have them spin at like 60% for idle.