cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Should provide Drivers on USB thumb drives instead of obsolete CD-Rom

CheshireMoe
Level 7
It makes so much more sense to provide Motherboard and other drivers on USB thumb drive than CD. I have refused to connect one to my new system and why should have to get an extra piece of hardware just for initial drivers? The current way I have download the internet adapter drivers on a different PC and save to a USB stick and copy them over.
If Asus provided a USB with the drivers it would make it so much easier and a cool bonus to have a ROG exclusive USB stick.

When lots of people don't have CD/DVD drives anymore particularly in thin laptops and mini-ITX systems but desktops don't need them either when music/books/video/games are all streamed or downloaded. Make it easy for people. Give us something cool when we drop $300+ on a motherboard or $400+ on a graphics card.
14 REPLIES 14

Janne-71
Level 7
I agree.

While I like the idea of getting a nice ROG branded USB thumb drive, I consider providing the drivers on any kind of media inside the packaging rather pointless. The drivers included in the box are pretty much obsolete the day the product leaves the factory ...

Do you guys actually really install the drivers from the CD? I don't think I used the included CD since before I had Maximus 2 Formula mobo many moons ago.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Like most people nowadays, downloading the software from ASUS support is the preferred method.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Janne-71
Level 7
What about network drivers, without them it's kind of hard to download anything (not sure do they install with Windows or do you need mobo drivers for network to work). And how should a new builder know what drivers he possibly needs from asus site? Maybe experienced builders do but new don't.

Sounds impossible, i dont even get any sticker when i bought my 1070 strix 😞

CheshireMoe wrote:
It makes so much more sense to provide Motherboard and other drivers on USB thumb drive than CD. I have refused to connect one to my new system and why should have to get an extra piece of hardware just for initial drivers? The current way I have download the internet adapter drivers on a different PC and save to a USB stick and copy them over.
If Asus provided a USB with the drivers it would make it so much easier and a cool bonus to have a ROG exclusive USB stick.

When lots of people don't have CD/DVD drives anymore particularly in thin laptops and mini-ITX systems but desktops don't need them either when music/books/video/games are all streamed or downloaded. Make it easy for people. Give us something cool when we drop $300+ on a motherboard or $400+ on a graphics card.

They have started to include use USB thumbdrives with the Rampage V Edition 10. Perhaps they will continue to do so in future motherboards. Only time will tell.

Janne-71 wrote:
What about network drivers, without them it's kind of hard to download anything (not sure do they install with Windows or do you need mobo drivers for network to work). And how should a new builder know what drivers he possibly needs from asus site? Maybe experienced builders do but new don't.

Depends on which Windows you're installing. From my testing, Windows 10 has the ethernet drivers for current X99 and Z170 ASUS motherboards. 🙂

Windows 10 did not install the correct driver for my Ethernet on VIII Formula. I had to download them with a different PC. I agree that they are obsolete, but its even more a waste to put them on CD and they're not going to stop providing drivers in the box. With all drivers CDs I get with all the different PC componets that I get there like the monthly AOL CD mailer.

What about a software installer that would download the drivers if it could connect to the internet and save the newest drivers to the USB drive so that you have them on the drive if you end up doing a clean install. It could keep the old versions in case you run into a comparability bug.

Eric_F
Level 10
I used my then-current computer to download all the latest drivers onto a USB thumb drive while my new board was ordered, waiting for delivery -- so I had them even before the new board showed up at the door. A lot of people will probably prepare in advance, or as soon as they have the new board. So it's probably a matter of what's the least expensive to include with the PC, knowing that only a small number of people will need it.

On the other hand, not everybody even includes an optical drive in their builds anymore, and some might not even have a USB portable optical drive handy. So there's definitely a point where including some sort of USB flash drive might make sense.
Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero
Processor: I7 6700K - 4.9GHz OC
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2
Memory: G.Skill DDR4-3000 16GB
Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 1721/1860MHz
Storage #1: 1TB Western Digital Black
Storage #2: 2TB Western Digital Black
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Power Supply: Antec Edge 650 80+ Gold

ondersma80
Level 7
I think they should include a USB and DVD, then eliminate most of the software. They could then lower the cost of the board by $5.

I will be shocked and admit defeat if more than a dozen users reply saying they actually use AI Charger+, Dual Intelligent Processors 5, Mobo Connect (wth is that), or USB 3 Boost.