cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 Raid 0 - 170-Deluxe Problem

gaRt3n
Level 7
Hey there,

I have a Problem with my Mainboard and the Raidconfiguration. I'm trying very hard to get the Raid config on this board to work.

Right now I have 2 Kingston Hyper X Predator M.2 PCIe SSD and 2 WD Black 2TB SATA installed.
When everything is in default settings I'm able to see every Harddrive in the BIOS.
After Turning RAID on i cant see any of them. I'm trying to create RAID with SATA and the WD it works fine.
But I cant Create RAID, When I'm trying to use PCIe...

1 M.2 is connected direct to the Mainboard. and the other one is with the PCIe Card which was contained in the Box of the Mainboard.

10 REPLIES 10

gaRt3n
Level 7
Need seriously help asap =/

Per the specs for your mobo, the PCIe x16_3 slot (the one you're using with m.2 and the PCIe kit) shares bandwidth with SATA ports 5 and 6. Perhaps try plugging your WD drives into SATA ports 1-4?
I think you'll also need to turn on Intel RST

Found a guide for you
https://rog.asus.com/18902015/maximus-motherboards/guide-install-m-2-pcie-ssds-in-raid-0-for-speed/

Are you doing RAID 0 on your HDDs? Even with WD blacks, it's a bit risky...

After changing into Raid, I can just see the SSD in the onboard M.2 Slot and not the PCIe Card...

I had enough issues getting my one M.2 NVMe SSD working. Does the Predator support raid? I know my OCZ RD400 do not support RAID!

Also it could possibly be the platter drive, my board hates having a Sata drive and M.2 running at the same time. I still can't get my seconardy 850 EVO 500GB Sata drive to go into AHCI mode?? I have it selected in the bios and the M.2 setup properly.

Already mentioned is the Sata port location. My book says it will disable port 1 with an M.2 drive in NVMe & both port 1 & 2 with the M.2 drive in Sata. That being said my drive worked in port 2 but I had so many issues. Finally put the 850 EVO in port 3 and it is working a lot better.

I've never had so many issues with a brand new install in my entire life, I love the board & features but it's been a nightmare getting mine setup. I'm about to return my M.2 NVMe drive, I can't tell a difference in the OS or in games.

All that being said the new 2001 BIOS really settled my system stability down and even allowed me to run lower voltage on my OC? It also finally got my M.2 drive to act as the Window Boot Manager drive in UEFI boot.

Think I might grab an intel 512GB 600P and call it a day with one bigger drive, my board just hates a mix of different drive protocols apparently.

CrippleRipple wrote:
I had enough issues getting my one M.2 NVMe SSD working. Does the Predator support raid? I know my OCZ RD400 do not support RAID!

Yeah it supports RAID. The People from ASUS Phone Support Germany are saying that RAID Like that should be possible. Shouldn't be there the Intel RAID interface if it's activated? Like on Boot CTRL + I ?

Some one any other ideas?

kkn
Level 14
i dont think you can raid the m.2 drives unless the manual says so.
since one is on the PCIE lanes and the other on the sata.
the only board ive seen whit dual m.2 slots is an msi board.
and even there i dont think u can raid it.

hiong
Level 8
your PCIE M.2 card is in the wrong slot for RAID, according to your manual page x, it says "Supports PCIE RAID configurations via onboard M.2 and PCIEX16_3 slot storages". from the picture, it looks to be that your PCIE M.2 card is in PCIEX16_2 slot, which shares CPU PCIE lanes with the PCIEX16_1 slot, while the other PCIE slots shares Z170 chipset PCIE lanes along with the onboard M.2 slot, which explain the RAID conditions.

hiong wrote:
your PCIE M.2 card is in the wrong slot for RAID, according to your manual page x, it says "Supports PCIE RAID configurations via onboard M.2 and PCIEX16_3 slot storages". from the picture, it looks to be that your PCIE M.2 card is in PCIEX16_2 slot, which shares CPU PCIE lanes with the PCIEX16_1 slot, while the other PCIE slots shares Z170 chipset PCIE lanes along with the onboard M.2 slot, which explain the RAID conditions.

Thank you!!!!