Thread: Vpn

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Vpn

Who is expert and can help me? need a vpn for me and my friends with microsoft standards.
    how to setup server and client! at the point where i must change from automatic to static ip i have no glue what ip the new vpn is! second is i became only one connection(two users,pswd) without any ressource.
    pls help teamviewer is propably the best solution....

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Thread relocated to General for better visibility. Redirect to expire in 3 days.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

use the google and do a search, your best option there.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

why u comment when not usefull?

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Apologies in advance for the wall of text. I'm not "expert". But I've done enough research on VPNs to satisfy my needs. You really should do your own research (as @kkn suggested above) because if you remain uninformed then you probably won't be able to choose the VPN which best fits your needs.

I chose NordVPN. My shortlist included TorGuard, Perfect Privacy, CryptoStorm, and the few VPNs which offer the proprietary Chameleon cryptoprotocol (which claims to defeat deep packet scanning).

In my opinion a VPN protects your privacy by imposing legal obstacles, not technical obstacles. The technology certainly exists for organizations and individuals to track and hack your private internet usage - assuming their objective/reward is worth all the costs in technical resources, time, and effort. Nothing you see or do or say online is ever truly anonymous, you'd probably be shocked and dismayed by all the data companies like google and facebook have already collected about you. Digital information can be duplicated and stored indefinitely, while (as always) even the most "secure" digital encryptions today will become trivial to defeat on tomorrow's computing - so while most of your online activities are transient and ephemeral, nothing you try to hide forever in the cloud will ever remain ultimately secure.

I live in Canada, I use the internet in Canada. I've studied the relevant portions of the laws which immediately affect the personal privacy of a Canadian (or a computer in Canada) using the internet: the Canadian Copyright Act, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), the Copyright Modernization Act (Bill C-11), the Digital Privacy Act (Bill S-4), the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), the French-Canadian "Law on authors' rights and related rights in the information society" (DADVSI), the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the international (WIPO) Protection of Broadcasts and Broadcasting Organizations Treaty, the proposed Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), numerous clarifications and amendments (most significantly Bill C-60, Bill C-61, and Bill C-32). In short, Canadian law requires that VPNs maintain records of all user activities and submit these records to legally-authorized entities on demand. And no exceptions are permitted or tolerated: if a VPN company does not comply then it will be forcibly shut down, it could also have all its hardware and data seized for forensic legal analysis. The same (or very similar) laws are enforced in many other nations, including the USA and most of the EU.

The grey area is for VPN companies which are based in a foreign nation, outside national jurisdictions or international treaties. Worldwide VPN companies maintain server operations in multiple countries (such as Canada, the USA, and the EU). Some of these worldwide VPNs configure each of their technical assets to comply with the laws of their host nations (ie, they do indeed maintain user logs if legally required, regardless of what they often advertise), while other worldwide VPNs configure their global operations based entirely on the laws which apply in their "headquarters" country. I chose NordVPN because they're based in Panama, Panama enjoys a "special" relationship with the USA and Canada which excludes mandatory compliance from international DMCA treaties, and NordVPN deliberately chooses to defy any "foreign" legal/technical requirements associated with maintaining cumbersome user logs.

The reality is that so far the champions of DMCA and DRM have focussed their efforts on prosecuting primarily only the most vile and deserving offenders - companies like Sony and Warner have shut down big pirating operations, and they slam the gavel down as hard and loud as their lawyers can to make as strong a deterring example as they can to others. But the presence of new tricks (like the so-called "Notice And Notice Regime" which probably forced your ISP to send you letters warning you to cease illegal downloading) indicates that users can be tracked and can be punished for skirting copyright laws, it's only a matter of time before digital piracy evolves or becomes restricted to elite criminals while "honest folk" are uniformly frightened into law-abiding obedience. I'm saying all this because if you're interested in subscribing to a VPN to hide such activities now then you should know that your VPN isn't guaranteed to hide them (indeed, it will likely be used to provide all the information needed to condemn you) in the not-so-distant future.

Be aware that the more layers you add between your VPN and your local laws, the more criminal activity will naturally be attracted to it. A few of the most "anonymous" and "untraceable" VPNs will actually track your data and sell to the highest bidder - the worst of these will be outright scams and frauds based on collecting, monitoring, and somehow monetizing your personal information, emails, social media, online habits and history, banking and credit logins, passwords, etc - it's easy enough for disreputable proxies to monitor, log, steal, and hijack your identity or your money. Also beware the "free" VPN services because running lots of VPN hardware ain't cheap and business is not charity so they've got to be making their money off their users somehow - again, it's easy enough for them to automatically collect and sell/distribute all sorts of information about you that you'd obviously prefer to keep private. And the sword cuts both ways: if you've deliberately taken steps to isolate your online activities from legal enforcement then you'll have very few legal protections working for you after being victimized by a criminal or unethical VPN. There's even been cases of law enforcement agencies obtaining (buying) the damning evidence they need to prosecute from a shady VPN service.

Giving the trackers less traction means less distracting spam, if nothing else. Configure your OS, networking, firewall/router, and browser settings to the level of security and privacy you desire. Be careful with "agreeing" to submit to monitoring and feedback when installing and configuring software. Install add-ons like Google's IBA Opt-out, Ghostery, and Avast Online Security to brush off annoying advertisements, spyware, and browser malwares. Avoid using mainstream search engines (like google) if you want to hide your online trail a little better. Install a more secure browser or a Tor-based browser if you want a little more online anonymity. Never ever run anything executable unless you *know* it's clean - it's much smarter and safer to learn how to configure your registry and file system details manually than to depend on downloadable scripts.

If you're trying to hide P2P (Torrent) activities then make sure you choose a VPN and an ISP which will tolerate P2P traffic. Many do not.

And the mere fact that you're being secretive and using a VPN or Tor or whatever automatically flags you for attention by those interested in such stuff. Various groups continually clandestinely monitor all the traffic they can see on known VPN entry- and exit-nodes, constantly attempting to collect enough pieces and put the puzzle together. If your VPN is any good then "they" don't know exactly what you did or where you went online, but "they" do know exactly when you went somewhere (and you didn't want anyone to know about it) and "they" know how much data was sent each way, "they" know what's reported on the metadata, "they" can't read your secret letters but they can decipher and log and track all the information on the envelope. "They" aren't a conspiracy theory - "they" are filling a niche and making money.

Also be careful whenever you link your mobile device to your PC. Your phone (Android or iOS) has plenty of embedded telemetry and spyware, you really can't do anything at all on it in true secrecy (unless you happen to be running completely hacked firmware) and too many companies fill too many niches in monitoring everything your phone is doing anytime it's anywhere on a network.
    Last edited by Korth; 09-17-2016 at 09:08 PM.