cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG GL552VW usb type c is buggy doesn't support external monitor

majid_bhatti
Level 7
Hi

I have just bought GL552vw and I am really disappointed with the fact that I have been trying to hook up an external monitor using Belkin usb type c to vga adapter.
Notebook doesn't even recognise the adapter. Even just pluging in the empty adaptor it says usb has malfunctioned.
Anyone who has success of using usb type c in rog to plug in external monitor?

One of my mates has got GL551 which had a display port which is way better I think at least the port is of some use.
I tried contacting the techincal support and they said update the BIOS and chipset driver. Done that still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
4 REPLIES 4

rog_au
Level 7
majid.bhatti wrote:
Hi

I have just bought GL552vw and I am really disappointed with the fact that I have been trying to hook up an external monitor using Belkin usb type c to vga adapter.
Notebook doesn't even recognise the adapter. Even just pluging in the empty adaptor it says usb has malfunctioned.
Anyone who has success of using usb type c in rog to plug in external monitor?

One of my mates has got GL551 which had a display port which is way better I think at least the port is of some use.
I tried contacting the techincal support and they said update the BIOS and chipset driver. Done that still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Hi mate,

Sorry to see you're disappointed with the GL552VW however the USB Type C connector on the device does not support Thunderbolt and it is only a USB Type C connector with USB 3.0 support.

Therefore outputting to an external monitor from there would not be possible. The GL552VW will have an HDMI output that can be used with external monitors however.

Hope this helps 🙂

All the best - ASUS ROG ANZ

dinoshan
Level 7
But then why are they advertising as usb 3.1?

dinoshan wrote:
But then why are they advertising as usb 3.1?

It is actually USB 3.1 generation 1 (which doesn't support driving external displays using the USB port). It is the Generation 2 USB 3.1 type-c that can display on additional screens.

This laptop having a generation 1 is mentioned in the brochure of this laptop on the official ASUS site.
ASUS RoG GL552VW-CN430T
Intel i7 6300HQ
16 GiB DDR4
128 GiB SSD + 1 TiB 7200 RPM HDD
NVIDIS 960M 4 GiB
Windows 10 64-bit

rog_au
Level 7
Hi guys,

Yes, that's correct! Sorry for the confusion, it does have USB 3.1 Gen 1 which offers same speeds as USB 3.0 however through the USB Type C connector. Unfortunately external displays are not supported through that.