cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Sleep/Hibernate Issue

mikejr83
Level 7
Hi all,

I've had this problem now for a year. I've "dealt with it" but lately I started investigating to see if I can fix it.

I'm currently on 3202 but have had this issue on every bios since I've had it. I'm running a 5690 with 16GB of Kingston RAM.

What happens is this:

I'll boot up the machine and use it for a while.
I'll leave the machine and let it go to "sleep" or hibernate or whatever the hell MS is calling it.
Some time later I'll come back and the machine will be "off". I can hit the mouse or tap a key and it will come back to the Windows signon screen. This is expected.
Again, I'll do some more stuff and then leave it alone for some time.
I might knock it out of its sleeping state 2 or so times but often after the third time it goes back into its low power state the machine will not come back online.

Now I'll hit the power button but there is no post. The control screen shows R5E which is what is normally there under just standard running. The displays stay in power save mode and approx 20 or so secs later the machine will just cut off.

To get the machine to boot I have to flip the switch on the PSU to kill power to the board. I have to wait a couple of secs so that the board completely powers down (which I can tell when the speakers make a slight pop). Then I can flick the switch back, press power, and it will boot to the signon screen like it had just "woken up".

Sometimes, and this is a bit rare, the machine will go into a loop of attempting to boot. It will power on, no POST and no display waking, stay on for around 20 sec, and then turns off. It will continually do this until I cut the power at the PSU.

Any thoughts?
8 REPLIES 8

FX45Guy
Level 7
How did I fix it? Went to the Rampage 10.

I also had issues with USB and SSDs too.

So far the 10 has fixed all of these issues. I could never get any particular BIOS for the V to fix them all at once.

I know, it shouldn't be this way, and I just put more $$$ into Asus's pocket to fix issues that shouldn't exist.

I had the same issue ever since I got this board, which was in September 2014 right around when the board became available. Tried all the BIOSes, did an RMA on my RAM, messed with a bunch of settings, all to no avail. I was running Windows 7, though.

Anyways, with BIOS version 3301, the problem seems to have gone away. I did manually tweak my System Agent Voltage to be higher than the default (0.88 v), disabled CPU Spread Spectrum, enabled XMP (have a 32GB Ripjaws 2400MHz kit) and manually specified a couple of voltages like Vcore.

I will say that occasionally, the system will resume from sleep when I move the mouse or hit a key but take a long time before it posts. I haven't had any of the random reboots other people have complained about on 3301 not issues with USB devices disconnecting. My understanding is that there is a new BIOS in the works to address those issues for the users that are experiencing them.

So my advice is give 3301 a try along with some of the tweaks I mentioned and see how it goes for you. And even when you think the system is frozen and not posting, give it some time and see if it recovers. I'll say that the system should resume when you move the mouse or hit a key. If it doesn't and requires you to hit the power button, then I wouldn't bother waiting as it's probably stuck and will require a power cycle.

BTW, I almost gave up and was thinking of going to the Rampage V 10 myself. Crazy if you think about it, rewarding a company that can't sort out issues with their high end products by purchasing more of their products. But Asus's designs and features are hard to beat. I still have my Rampage IV Extreme being used in a secondary machine, although ironically, I also had an issue with that board that was never resolved and required me to buy a separate NIC.

XBrookieX
Level 7
I've stopped using Hibernate or sleep and just either shutting fully down or leaving the PC on, its never worked for me.
hopefully one day it gets sorted, funny thing laptops don't have so many issues.

red454
Level 11
It has always been hit or miss for me too. But I did find that my Folding at Home client seems to prevent sleep mode. If I go into task manager and manually kill the FAH client, then I have a better chance of going into sleep mode.
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

mikejr83
Level 7
Thanks for the tips guys. It is nice to know that others are experiencing the issue. I thought maybe I did something to goof it up.

This is my first enthusiast board. I've had other ASUS boards but nothing at this level. I've always like their features and for the most part have not had any issues. This particular board is kind of turning me off staying with them on my next build. I went through a period of hair pulling out over a single USB device that would kill the whole machine. Plug it in and boot and nothing. Took me a long time and several installs of WIndows to figure that one out.

I'll try 3301 to see if that helps.

Thanks again and I'll report back. (FYI got home from work today and it was "stuck" again")

superdave
Level 8
I had the absolute worst experiences of my life with the original RVE, Every board I received had issues some of them so serious that the board was unusable. For instance one board I received was missing the MEI firmware in the bios, the following replacement which was supposed to be new was a refurb and was actually missing the wifi/Bluetooth module, as in there was the empty round holes on the backplate. I finally was able to get them to replace it with the 10th anniversary edition and it is now the best board I have ever had. I feel that the original RVE board was so buggy that it was a complete waste of money. I hope you are able to get your problems fixed.

mikejr83
Level 7
Hey all,

Thought I'd post a followup to let everyone know what's up after the BIOS update. I honestly didn't hope for much since I had been keeping up with them and updating a few months after each release.

Turns out 3301 seems to be the magic release for me. I'll put a disclaimer that I did do some tweaking with my fan profiles on my H100i GTX to have a more aggressive curve that ramps the fans up a bit sooner, but I wouldn't understand why it would be the difference maker.

I've actually been so comfortable with the way the system has been operating that I finally started messing with my clockspeeds and put a bit of a clock on it. Sitting in at a very stable 4.3GHz. I'm at work so I don't have the complete numbers but let's just say that I'm happy the computer is running like I felt it should. It may have taken a little of a year to get it that way but hey, alls good that ends well!

Hi,
I also had sleep/hibernate issues with Bios version 2101 and Windows 7x64 (exact the same symptoms that Mikejr83 described) and I managed to solve it by adding offset voltage to "system agent voltage" in Bios. If someone decides to follow this advice should add small increments of voltage.