ROG Junior Member Array

Question G751JT-WH71(WX) - HDD Upgrade

I read about this subject here and there but one question seems to be unanswered to me.

Assuming that I want to replace my only HDD of 1Tb with a SSD same size what should be done to avoid loosing all the default os and softwares that comes with Notebook when you buy it?

If I want to make factory restore with my current HDD I can and it is easy, because there is a partition specifically prepared to make it possible (or at least this is what I am assuming to be true) but with a brand new SDD it will not be true.

How can I proceed to keep it working?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Very easily Download Macrium Reflect Free, create an Full Disk Image.

Using the same size 1 TB HD To 1TB SSD you don't have to change any settings.

Be sure after installing MR create the boot USB and use that Boot USB to boot your notebook. On booting spam the Esc key that will bring up a Boot menu select the UEFI USB then your notebook should open the MR interface in Win PE mode.

So you have proven that your boot USB is working correctly Now Create an full image of your HD,
    shut down your notebook remove the HD and Install your SSD.

Boot up hitting the Esc key, UEFI USB when you get to the MR Interface restore your image that you created to your new SSD

on completion your SSD will have exactly the same data that your hard drive has.

Reboot if all is well you can put your HD in an USB Adapter or External case and format it for use as storage. Or you could put it away for future use should all else fail at some point.

You could also clone your HD straight over to your SSD, I don't recommend that as using images you always have that image to go back to should something go wrong. And for future use.
    Last edited by Clintlgm; 09-15-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Good advice, if you buy a Samsung drive their data migration works great too. Just clone the entire drive, all partitions. Ive done it on a G751JY, G751JL and G752VY. In the end the only thing that changed was a drastic improvement in speed.

I always do this regardless if its an upgrade or not. Right out of the box and after I run updates I clone the entire drive and put the original away for safe keeping so no matter what I have that drive to fall back on and if the need should arise to send in the machine on an RMA I can just put the original drive back in.

Ive not had to jump through any hoops on any of mine, Direct clone, shut down, move new drive into the position of the original and boot it back up, done.

The only tricky one I did was when I did a raid 0 on a G752VY. I cloned the original to a Samsung 850 Pro which booted just like the original NVMe M2. Then shut it back down, installed the 2 950 pros downloaded and install the latest Intel IRST drivers and Intel IRST software. Installed, rebooted again. Used the intel software to create a raid 0 array on the 2 M2 drives then used macrium reflect to clone the Samnsung 850 pro to the raid 0 array. Done.
    Ive heard others say they just added the second M2 drive then just used the software to make the raid 0 array with no need to wipe the original first.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 09-15-2016 at 11:38 PM.