cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix 1080 SLI -> one card reaching nearly 90º !?

SinanCR7
Level 7
Hello,

I recently got my new gaming PC with an SLI-configuation of two Strix 1080-A8G (sadly they hadn't the O8G ones).

In principle, I'm very satisfied with my PC. The Strix graphics cards are just amazing - especially in SLI, which I hardly ever see on Youtube.

However, there is something very worrying -> the temperature of the first GPU!

If I'm not mistaken, the newest Need for Speed isn't that much of a demanding game, compared to other games like GTA V, The Witcher etc.

However, after gaming for a while, the first GPU reaches a temperature of 86-90º. The other GPU is between 70-74º, which is less disturbing for me.

For additional information -> I'm playing Need for Speed on 3840x2160 with max. settings & my PC case is a Cooler Master Storm Trooper, which I chose on purpose because I've read a lot of positive feedback considering the airflow.
There's a space of 1 slot between both GPU's because I'm using a Asus Maximus Ranger as motherboard, which isn't capable of offering more space.

I was hoping for some helpful answers from your side, considering these heat issues. What could be the problem?

I don't want to imagine the temperatures if I'm going to start playing more demanding games like GTA V..
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi SinanCR7

Welcome to the ROG forum !

The best thing you could do is install GPU Tweak II and set fan curves for your 1080's, this will reduce temps quite a bit.

Temps in the 70's is fine. 🙂

I have two A8G's too inside a CM HAF 932, and I've never seen it go higher than 83 because of TurboBoost 3.

90+ is pretty high... Do you have a custom fan curve for these cards?

I was using a custom fan curve for a couple of days, however I thought that the automatic fan curve usually should be enough, as I never saw such high temperatures in other videos.

And to be honest, the Strix 1080 fans can get quite loud, especially if you've got two of them. I'm getting quite uncomfortable as soon as the fans reach > 70%.

@Bravoexo: What do you mean with "because of TurboBoost 3"? Isn't this a software from Intel for CPU's? How should this decrease the GPU temp?

I really don't know what the problem is.. & I'm not able to experiment with the GPU's due to warranty. 😞

EDIT: Maybe someone can show me a screenshot of the ideal fan curve? 🙂

Nate152
Ideal would be whatever you need to have comfortable temps, once the gpu temp hits 80c - 82c it will throttle to protect itself so you want to stay below that.

It might be a strange question, but I recently read the following advice:

"The best way to solve top card heat issues for cheap is a separator of some sort. Plastic, cardboard, metal, just about anything will work as long as it's large enough to cover more than the area above the lower card. This'll force the hot air towards the side of the case where either natural thermal properties will make it rise or the side fan as exhaust will eliminate most."

-> I'm not quite sure about this, what if the separator starts to burn because of heat or electricity?

What do you think guys?

Nate152
Yeah I don't know about that either, you go sticking something in between the gpu's I would think that's only going to block airflow.

I would just crank the fans up until the temps stay 70ish c. As long as your temps are in the 70's you will have maximum performance with no thermal throttling issues.

Thats so cool:cool: