cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel XTU Stress Test Temps - Memory test cause higher temps than CPU test?

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
Hi guy's (and gal's),

I've had my rig stable for around the past 8 months and thought it time to push it a little to see what is possible. I don't intend to seriously overclock, just experimenting out of curiosity. Normally I try and take good care of my PC's and they tend to last me well. My last system has lasted 9 years and is still going.
But my question is this, using Intel XTU to stress test the system I have noticed that I get higher CPU temps when stress testing the memory than when I test the actual CPU. I know from reading various sources that the memory controller is on the CPU, but is this normal? Could it be a sign that my thermal paste is not applied correctly? I've never had a problem applying paste before and have done this many times in the past.
At 4.5GHz and 3000MHz RAM my temps are looking pretty good. They generally peaked at 63 degrees C although the Benchmark suggests that it must have momentarily topped out at 67 degrees C.
I appreciate your thoughts on the graphs below.

Top graph is CPU stress test and graph below is Memory stress test followed my benchmark result.

5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi Code_Frenzy

I haven't used the Intel XTU much but with your cpu overclocked to 4.5GHz and your ram at 3000MHz 68c max temp in the benchmark is very good.

Intel says max safe temp is 64c but you can take stress testing temps up to 90c so you have alot of headroom for overclocking if you want to push higher.

Your gaming temps are what is important and looking at this they should be well below 64c.

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
Thanks @Nate152 for the reassurance. My favourite games are car racing sims and these only push the temps up to the low 50's on my FrontBase (mid 40's in HWMonitor). I seem to have a discrepancy between what my FrontBase shows and the temp's shown by other software.
But I'm not too worried about this as I'd rather my FrontBase be reading high than low.

Another question, my temps jump rather a lot whilst gaming and general use from low 30's to low 50's, and only spike for a very short period. Is this normal? I have my fan profiles set to hold the fans off till 40 degrees and just pump water, then at 50 they start to kick in and by 60 or 70 they will run flat out. The spikes in temperature cause the fans to run unnecessarily in my opinion.
Is this normal? I could record the display if required but i think that the same effect is already seen in the CPU stress test where throughout the test the temperatures are jumping from approx 40 to 60. I'd have expected the temperatures to gradually raise and possibly only fluctuate by 5 degrees? Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Nate152
The spikes are normal, mine can spike up to 70c - 75c when loading/starting a game but then levels off in the 60's, I have my 6700k overclocked to 4.75GHz with 1.488v.

What to pay attention to is where temps level off and your temps are perfectly fine. 🙂

Your fans will ramp if a spike occurs but should slow down once temps level off, it's nothing to worry about.

Code_Frenzy
Level 9
It appears that I need to give other users reputation points before I'm allowed to give to you again! So instead I just wnat to thank you for the helpful and friendly advice. 🙂

Nate152