cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel XTU Installation fix I discovered* May be helpful for others.

httuner
Level 9
Hello all, I wanted to report a fix that I came across while trying to install Intel XTU. Intel XTU is a great tool for undervolting your CPU_ It knocked off 10C off my CPU temps. I highly recommend it, just make sure your 100% stable at lower voltages.

Sometimes when you install Intel XTU you may get an error code that says (Unable to start XTU3Services due to not having enough system Privileges). Although you are installing it on an Administrator account it'll throw this error.

First of all make sure you have the latest intel XTU (Don't use the Asus one it seems outdated).

Sometimes when XTU installs it corrupts itself especially when installing on a NVME drive; I have no reason why but I discovered it does. Anyhow if your first installation fails and gives you this error; Restart your Laptop, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility;

Delete everything in this folder! Except for the drivers folder (It won't allow you to delete it.) Now do a fresh re-install and it should install successfully. I tried all the fixes I could find on google and on the Microsoft website but none worked for me until I ended up doing this on my own. I found out that IntelXTU even when it fails to install it will not delete the contents in this folder and even when you try to re-install if it detects that this folder already has the installation files it will keep the old files alone thus you end up with corrupted install files that will not work.

Hope this helps someone whom is having the same problem. 😄
8 REPLIES 8

warryabel
Level 7
oh mom,all u need is throttlestop...hehe
u need xtu,for what?

unclewebb
Level 10
ThrottleStop 8.20
https://www.sendspace.com/file/c5qet1

New Features
- integrated Limit Reasons into TS and added Skylake support.
- added Min / Max package power reporting.
- added Intel Speed Shift adjustment for any OS.
- improved BCLK and multiplier reporting for Skylake CPUs.
- improved Windows 10 icon compatibility.
- initial Kaby Lake support.

Intel XTU is a nice program but it consumes about 10 times the resources compared to ThrottleStop. Do some testing and use whatever program works best for you.

warryabel wrote:
defender show virus on this link

https://fs13n3.sendspace.com/dl/dbc334a9570ecd415504f9a3be53c384/57dc618a3037911a/c5qet1/ThrottleSto...

Defender always shows third party software as Viruses_ I usually just turn it off and use Avast_ I think Avast is more simple and smoother_ Never had a virus in all the years I've use AVAST and its Free =]

Anyways_ After downloading it_ It now shows that this file contains a virus?!? Hmmm...

warryabel
Level 7
virus found thx...

httuner
Level 9
Ah, I couldn't find the latest Throttle stop, every version I found had no skylake support. I'll give it a shot_ Yeah I found out that XTU sometimes doesn't start on bootup so I have to keep loading it. I'll give throttle stop a try.

httuner
Level 9

kingjezdi
Level 9
why Defender pls haha;)