Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus x99 strix qcode 67

drchris
Level 7
Hi guys

I really need your help here.
I've updated my STRIX X99 to 1003. After booting I get QCODE 67 and can no longer boot into my pc. I've rolled back to my earlier stable bios 801 (using usb bios flashback) but I still get the same errors.
Any idea what it could be?
See also attachment.

Thanks
Chris
12 REPLIES 12

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi drchris 🙂 Qcode 67 is very often DIMM related, but no guarantee as your stop error is the DXE Environment which has failed to initialize.

Reflash your Bios with 1003 cause I doubt that's your problem if done correctly. You don't need to be in Bios to flash. You can use your rear IO panel.
Look on page 2-14 of your MB manual for Bios flash button and USB flash port. If not sure how to do this then instructions will be given.
Also check your MB XMP Switch and switch it on as I think its off by default.

Have you made changes to Bios recently or changed your DIMMs. If so clear CMOS and just have 1 DIMM in slot D1 to test. Try switching them around.
Also you have a Mem OK button on MB that will attempt to tune your DIMMs.
If you can get into your Bios, select your XMP profile and if unsure then list your DIMMs.

Hope this helps and please report back.;)
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Hi guys
First and foremost, I am very grateful of your help and advise.

I followed your suggestions however I am in a worse state than I was previously.

I removed all RAM modules, and then inserted each one only in the D1 slot (as per manual too). I repeated for all 4. For each module I either got a 53 or a b7(you are right it's not a 67) QCODE error. Both errors indicate DIMM failures.

I cleared CMOS, same problem.

I also downloaded previous working BIOS and used usb flashport to downgrade. The rear led was flashing blue for 2-3 minutes and reading from the USB device so I assume that the procedure was successful.

The RAM problems only started occurring after installing BIOS 1003. Even though I reverted back to older BIOS, I wonder if the BIOS firmware damaged my motherboard or Ram modules.

I also switched off/on the XMP switch on the motherboard but it didn't make a difference.

So I am now properly stuck with a dead system.

Any advise? Here is a photo of my troubles:

Chris

Nate152
Hi Chris

I'm wondering if the bios update was installed correctly, did the light flash slow then get faster then stop? If so it should be working.
manual.

Here's a guide you can look over just to make sure, you'll have to rename the bios file and I'm not sure what the Strix X99 gets renamed to, it should say in the manual.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Do a good clear CMOS before anything...might just do the trick...

Is the error code 67 or b7? looks like b7 from the pic...initial memory training is failing...

MeanMachine
Level 13
Well from your latest pic it shows Qcode 99 which is "Super IO Initialization" and IO meaning anything connected to the board by any interface is not initializing.
I also see a post state led lit, showing up next to your DIMM slots. Can you identify which one is lit.? Section 1.1.8 in your MB manual.

Check all cables and connections to 24pin, 8pin, and 4pin on Mb and that the GPU and your DIMMs are seated correctly and contaminant free.
Either swap out your DIMMs or test in another system if its the DRAM_LED that's lit.

Should the condition continue, you will have to Bench test outside the case and reapply your TIM after checking for bent pins. It can also be a failed MB.
Bench Test with minimal configuration, adding components one at a time. till you post successfully or identify the failing component.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Hello!

Thanks for your feedback. Actually the qcode is "53" not 99.
it just doesnt look very clear in earlier photo. See again picture!

Seems both codes b7 and 53 relate to RAM. I opened a ticket with Asus, but they told me they dont officially support my RAM modules [CMU32GX4M4C3400C16R] so they cant offer me any support. The strange thing is that the RAM modules worked initially in a quad configuration and the problems I only started having after upgrading the BIOS.

I'm wondering if RAM modules are faulty...

Chris

Chris

MeanMachine wrote:
Well from your latest pic it shows Qcode 99 which is "Super IO Initialization" and IO meaning anything connected to the board by any interface is not initializing.
I also see a post state led lit, showing up next to your DIMM slots. Can you identify which one is lit.? Section 1.1.8 in your MB manual.

Check all cables and connections to 24pin, 8pin, and 4pin on Mb and that the GPU and your DIMMs are seated correctly and contaminant free.
Either swap out your DIMMs or test in another system if its the DRAM_LED that's lit.

Should the condition continue, you will have to Bench test outside the case and reapply your TIM after checking for bent pins. It can also be a failed MB.
Bench Test with minimal configuration, adding components one at a time. till you post successfully or identify the failing component.

Nate152
MeanMachine you are correct code 99 = Super I/O Initialization

In my experience with code 99 if you have display it is likely a usb device causing it.

If you don't have display it is likely the gpu area on back to the monitor.

Are both pcie power lights for the gpu lit? If not You could try another set of pcie power cables.

It could be a faulty monitor cable or monitor but since this happened just after a bios update it may not be this but you could try different monitor cables.

I sure hope you get this resolved as I'm having the exact same problem as you. My pc starts up and runs with all lights and fans on but I have no display and shows code 99, I ordered a monitor today in hopes my monitor went bad.

Please keep us updated.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Nate 🙂 and yes I've heard or read that some USB keyboards or mice can cause this. Qcode 99 is such a big flag.
Hope you fix your issues.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Nate152
Double check the ram is fully seated into the Dimm slot and try pressing the mem ok button.

You could also try different ram slots.

I'm still wondering if the bios update was successful.