cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x99 doesn't boot on first try

Worldsprayer
Level 7
I'm not an experienced motherboard manipulator, and as such I have set as much to default as possible. For helpful info, ask anything you want obvious.
I'm running win 7 off my m.2 ssd on the board
24gb ram

When I boot the machine, for the longest time, the process has been:
1) Machine lights up, fans spin up to full speed for about 8 seconds, then spool down
2)...nothing happens
3)a minute later, pc shuts off.
4) power on machine again
5) machine lights up, fans spool for 5-8 secs
6) POST beeps
7) BIOS warning stating "overclocking has failed! press f1 for setup" appears despite not doing any OC at all
😎 Enter bios, do nothing, select either reset nothing, or boot to ssd...and windows boots up as normal

Fastboot fails to boot at all, and it restarts into a normal boot
Does anyone have any ideas? Would flashing the bios do anything?
3 REPLIES 3

kaese
Level 10
Most often this is a RAM issue (having 24 GB of RAM is kind of odd probable you are mixing different kits). Try with one RAM stick set to 2133 MHz.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Make sure you use a single quad channel kit on this platform....best to use one on the QVL.

Hrm...the RAM is all from the same pack...not sure how that would get a mix up...and I'll google whatever the qvl is here in a bit, as I said I'm not an expert at these things, and I had expected when I put this system together that putting a hd with a graphics card and ram from the same box together would create a stable system on default values. That doesn't appear to have happened.