ProcessorIntel i7 6700k
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
    Graphics Card #1Msi GTX 1080 Gaming X
    MonitorVizio E43 F1 4K HDR 60hz 444
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Evo M.2 250gb
    Storage #2Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2tb
    CPU CoolerBeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850 (Seasonic KM3)
    Keyboard iKBC F87 RGB (MX Cherry brown)
    Mouse Steel Series Rival 110
    Headset Steel Series Arctis 7
    Mouse Pad Steel Series QcK Mini
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64
    Accessory #1 Logitech F710 Gamepad

high vcore + prime 95 errors @ stock speed

specs:
    intel i7 6700k (no OC)
    Asus Maximus VIII Hero (bios 2001)
    Corsair Vengeance ddr4 xmp 2666 32gb (16x2)
    msi GTX 1080 Gaming X Twin Frozr VI
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512gb
    NZXT S340
    Coolermaster V850
    BeQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim
    NZXT FZ 140 x2 intake, NZXT FN V2 120 x2 exhaust
    Windows 10 Pro 64

Been having so many issues with this build and it's been rough.

Had a Corsair HX1000 psu that was loud and an i7 6700k that I thought had high vcore so I returned them.
    Keep in mind the system was stable though, passing 36 hours of memtest86 v7.1 with no errors with no OC on cpu, but ram at it's xmp speed of 2666.
    Prime blend also ran on this system for 24 hours with no errors and a max temp of 76c.

Turns out I was mixing up VID and Vcore and the Vcore was actually fine.

So today I went back to the micro center and replaced that cpu before realizing the mistake I made about VID and vcore and also replacing the Corsair psu for the 1 I listed in current specs at the top of this post.

The Corsair psu was also ok btw, but I just thought it was defective because the relay click sound was just a little loud, but voltages were stable in HWinfo64 during prime.

So after getting home I put the new cpu in and the Coolermaster psu and fired up Prime. In less than 10 minutes it got an error so I panicked, but googled and decided to try setting the ram back to basic speed instead of XMP.
    I didn't adjust any other settings related to the cpu or ram. I fired up Prime again to see if it would still get errors with the ram at basic speed so I could possibly rule out the ram which already passed memtest. Was really hoping I just got a bad cpu.
    Then things got really interesting and in just a few minutes the temp running Prime went to 100c. Stopped the test immediately and was lucky no crash or reboot or fried cpu, but it scared the crap outta me. No errors in Prime though, but the Vcore had gone up to 1.44 which is what made the temp go so high and the cpu was only at stock speed of course.
    The heat sink was definitely seated right since the idle temp went right back down instantly to 26c.

What should I do now? Did I just get a bad cpu? Could this new psu be the issue? Did my ram that previously passed memtest 36 hour run just a couple days ago got damaged somehow? Could it be the motherboard failed or got ruined?

Please help. I'm not a super noob, but I'm not very advanced either and have built systems before, but only basic setup with no tweaking or OC'ing. Just buying good parts, installing Windows and using them.
    Last edited by Loaded Glove; 09-18-2016 at 06:27 AM.