cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL551 Laptop Overheating?

RedThePyro
Level 7
So, I have been scouting 50 million forums dedicated to assistance with laptops and see if I can find out why my laptop is overheating and what is the limit that my laptop can take before it dies of something being burnt. I got nothing for a while now then I realized "Why not I try the Asus forums?"
Long story short: I just wanna know what are the limits that my laptop can take, if the laptop being around 50-60C is normal, and if the problem would be dust in this situation... Just as a side note, I HAVE gotten this laptop repaired from Geek Squad due to the laptop's Usb Port being loose (Which meant the motherboard had to be replaced) and that may be what caused it. I dont really know.. However, ive noticed that my laptop overheats the most on the power settings "Balanced" and "High Performance" which leaves me to use Power saver all the time in order to not have my laptop die of overheating.
Power Settings info:
High Preformance
+Makes all games including the more hefty ones run like a dream
-the laptop can heat up to around 70-90c like this meaning its almost impossible to use even while Idling
Balanced
+Again, same as high preformance but I just lose some preformance
-This power setting also makes the laptop overheat at around the same amount
Power Saver
-No way to play hefty games like Team Fortress 2 but I can play most light games like terraria and Binding of Isaac Fine
=The heat-up is semi-stable from what it looks like. it only really heats up to 45-60c depending on the game and if I have a fan near the laptop to cool it.
Anyways, if you can assist me, it would be GREATLY appreciated 😉
1 REPLY 1

james11705
Level 7
RedThePyro wrote:
So, I have been scouting 50 million forums dedicated to assistance with laptops and see if I can find out why my laptop is overheating and what is the limit that my laptop can take before it dies of something being burnt. I got nothing for a while now then I realized "Why not I try the Asus forums?"
Long story short: I just wanna know what are the limits that my laptop can take, if the laptop being around 50-60C is normal, and if the problem would be dust in this situation... Just as a side note, I HAVE gotten this laptop repaired from Geek Squad due to the laptop's Usb Port being loose (Which meant the motherboard had to be replaced) and that may be what caused it. I dont really know.. However, ive noticed that my laptop overheats the most on the power settings "Balanced" and "High Performance" which leaves me to use Power saver all the time in order to not have my laptop die of overheating.
Power Settings info:
High Preformance
+Makes all games including the more hefty ones run like a dream
-the laptop can heat up to around 70-90c like this meaning its almost impossible to use even while Idling
Balanced
+Again, same as high preformance but I just lose some preformance
-This power setting also makes the laptop overheat at around the same amount
Power Saver
-No way to play hefty games like Team Fortress 2 but I can play most light games like terraria and Binding of Isaac Fine
=The heat-up is semi-stable from what it looks like. it only really heats up to 45-60c depending on the game and if I have a fan near the laptop to cool it.
Anyways, if you can assist me, it would be GREATLY appreciated 😉

Choose balanced state and change the max processor state to 60%( advanced power management) and min state to 5% for both on battery n on power. Also use a laptop cooler n disable startup processes which use high resources (from task manager)

The most important change :
Go to nvidia control panel n Change the default graphics card to Intel n go to program selector (next tab) , select nvidia for the games Alone n click on apply.

90-100• can be termed as overheating
Sent from my Titan