cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751J Cooling Mods

Quadrider10
Level 7
What's up guys? So after changing my thermal paste 3 times, I found that attic silver 5 works the best. I've tried some generic aluminum stuff and attic silver mx 4 and the AS5 did the best job. I also took out those little mesh covers that are suppose to stop the dust from entering the air intakes on the bottom and undervolted. together along with a custom CPU fan profile this yelled 70c on the gpu and 80c on the CPU max temps. I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to lower the temps even more? I'm almost to the point of drilling 4 intake holes on the bottom of the CPU and GPU fans.

It's all for ****s and giggles, until someone giggles and ****s.
17 REPLIES 17

Korth
Level 14
There's not really much you can do to upgrade the cooling without basically re-engineering and rebuilding the entire cooling system. You could always install bigger and better fan motors, thicker and thirstier heatpipes, bigger blocks of metal with wider mating surfaces, etc. But you'll get increasingly diminishing returns, you'll gain a little more peak performance overhead, you'll add a lot of weight and noise and power drain and cost. Asus did a really good job on this one.

I'd be hesitant about drilling intake holes. It might work, but it's permanent and noticeable, be careful. They may indeed provide more spot-cooling but at the cost of disrupting the "ducted" airflow design built into the chassis plastics. So you might find your CPU temps improve by 10C while your GPU or motherboard temps scream upwards because they're behind dead-air or recirculating-air zones.

You're obviously not worried about frequent disassembly so I don't think dust accumulation will be much of a problem. I doubt those Asus dust filters really do anything useful, anyhow, since in my experience they don't seem to actually stop a dust from getting sucked in, lol. But no dust filters at all means you won't want to be using your laptop near a sawmill, lol.

The biggest source of heat in a laptop is usually the battery. Replace if it's getting elderly. Don't simultaneously charge and discharge it - meaning don't just plug in and keep running games when the battery is in the red, it'll work but it's hard on the battery and makes much heat which is hard on the computing.

The best cooling solution for any laptop is one of these. Criticize if you must, but if cool laptop is what you want then this works.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

brkkab123
Level 7
Your best bet is to switch to watercooling your cpu. Also E.K.W.B. may sell waterblock to watercool your 2 980's, too. https://www.ekwb.com/

brkkab123
Level 7

brkkab123
Level 7
Sorry disregard my posts, I read the wrong one's spec's.

Quadrider10
Level 7
lmfao i wish!

i was thinking along the lines of this but i dont think i have the tools necessary to actually do a good job. Thats why i was gonna do 4 simple holes under each fan and then glue that plastic mesh i took off from the bottom on the inside over the holes.
http://www.voltground.com/haven/threads/8/

Quadrider10
Level 7
Any ideas? I have very minimal tools

hey shoot a PM off to Dreamonic or search his threads, he as pictures and very good description of how he modded his G75 what you want to do would be quite similar. I can't find a link to that thread but I'm sure he can get you to the information you need to do what you want to do.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

httuner
Level 9
I suggest getting a nice dremel tool to do the cutting_ Measure three times and cut once 😄

httuner wrote:
I suggest getting a nice dremel tool to do the cutting_ Measure three times and cut once 😄

I can't get the tools to do what he did, so I think I'm going to do something where I'll draw a circle about the size of the fan, then drill holes horizontal across the circle from bottom to top. So starting from bottom it would be 1hole, then next line up would be 3, then like 5, etc. I think that would look more professional sice I don't have the tools to do dreamonic mod.