cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX GTX1080-A8G-GAMING SLI + Three Active Monitor problems (Not Surround)

Bravoexo
Level 7
STRIX GTX1080-A8G-GAMING SLI + Three Active Monitor problems (Not Surround)

Anyone got this working when the monitors are connected on both cards?

Currently the only way this works for me is having all three monitors connected to the top card. SLI will not work if monitors are spread to the 2nd card.
I'm not talking about NVIDIA Surround, btw.

Also, to talk about NVidia Surround, is it really necessary to have the HB Bridge for it?
Coz full screen 3D games don't run with monitors on both cards if NVIDIA surround is on. Windowed games work...but not if they grab and go full screen.
If the monitors are all on the same card, this isn't a problem, even if i just have two flex bridges.
5 REPLIES 5

Onimax
Level 8
Hi there.

That is a limitation of SLI.

SLI will only work if all of your monitors are connected to the master card, this has always been the case and is normal behavior.

Also you do not need any kind of SLI bridge for surround, just having SLI enabled is enough - but not having a bridge at all results in a small performance penalty, as does using a normal or two flex or a led bridge over a hb one.

For surround to work correctly, as you already found out, you also need to connect all monitors to your master card.

Hope that helps.

But why won't it let me do 3d games in full screen mode with Surround on with the monitors on more than two cards? I could do that with my old GTX680's. Plus NVidia's Surround config page does allow monitors on multiple cards..in SLI. I just wanted clarification, coz one of the things/features the HB bridge was said to be for was Surround...

Onimax
Level 8
Hey, can you please post a link to the Nvidia page in question.

Also don't confuse SLI with surround, because you can only have either active (but surround incorporates SLI, or better distributed afr to a degree).

The HB bridge is essentially just for high resolutions paired with high refresh rates like 4k above 60hz.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Onimax wrote:
Hey, can you please post a link to the Nvidia page in question.

It's just the Nvidia Surround configurator page. Where you pick the GPU, SLI mode, Monitor orientation... somehow, if I enable surround, like in Option 1, where one monitor is on the other card, full screen 3d games/apps fail. But windowed 3d games/apps do not.

Onimax wrote:

The HB bridge is essentially just for high resolutions paired with high refresh rates like 4k above 60hz.

I wanted clarification on this known image from Nvidia

For my problem above, maybe that check mark under Surround is all about? (meaning I actually need the HB bridge to make 3d games/app work in surround when one monitor is on the 2nd card.

Onimax
Level 8
Exclusive fullscreen mode should only work when all monitors are plugged into the master card.

Unfortunately I can't test the images' claim for you right now as I am not at home, but surround will definitely work without the HB bridge - did that with two titan x (maxwell) when the HB bridge was not even announced.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk