Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 148
  1. #11
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSX View Post
    When did you buy the G9? was it recently like one or two weeks ago? looks like when they switched to the G9 run they reset the serials back to 000001 and start the count over ..

    Regarding temps i noticed that Strix cards run from 65c to 71c probably depending on the way of the thermal paste application, thermal paste type or just cooler installation, on stock settings it should never exceed 69-70c if it is working properly and case is well ventilated

    Also Micron memory ICs seem to draw more power and produce more heat than their Samsung counterparts to maintain its frequency, resulting in the card getting a little bit hotter and power-throttle a little bit more than cards with Samsung, that is just an observations from the cards i tested and might not be 100% accurate.

    Anyways, congratulations for your Samsung GPU, enjoy your purchase and the premium part you have got, you got your money's worth, i hope i can achieve the same goal i just don't know how

    and with the information we shared among one another regarding serial numbers it does not look like there is a sure way to identify cards with Samsung memory, makes things even harder, i am not sure how this misery will conclude for me and other dissatisfied Micron card owners

    What is your memory OC limit on the Samsung card by the way?
    G9 i bought 2 Days ago, as I said I must be lucky finding a G7 Samsung card. One note to that is it did not use gpu boost as much as micron, nvidia gpu boosted it to 1823-1835 whilst micron card Always was boosted to 1860... Unlucky there as im not good with overclocking... I Went to bed but let a game sitt for almost 7 hours and my temp never got past 65c for that period of time. Need to learn how to OC and then I can return to you about the OC limit. Maybe I should follow Nates oc guide
    Last edited by Zaveur; 09-21-2016 at 05:05 AM.

  2. #12
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    35

    Yeah, just follow the OC guide in this forum and see how far you can push it, it is pretty simple stuff, just some sliders and some testing, nothing too complicated

  3. #13
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Cool The secret to OC Micron memory

    there is nothing wrong with the Micron memory itself.

    The problem is a software bug in the driver software that overclocks the memory before the memory VRMs turn up the voltage high enough to support the overclock.

    This is particularly relevant when the card is idling at less than .800v

    You can work around the problem by using the Afterburner curve screen to lock the voltage. You select the point that you want to lock the voltage at (1.093v) and press the"L" key then apply. After you have locked the voltage, the memory should be stable if you OC it to speeds above 480-500.

    Sorry I don't know how you might do that in Gpu Tweak II.

  4. #14
    ROG Enthusiast Array EK Luc PC Specs
    EK Luc PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Rampage V Edition 10
    Processori7-6800K
    Memory (part number)2 x G.SKILL TridentZ (3200C16Q-16GTZB)
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX 1070 ROG Strix (O8G-GAMING)
    Graphics Card #2Asus GTX 1070 ROG Strix (O8G-GAMING)
    CPU CoolerCustom Watercooling
    Casebe quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860i
    OS Win10
    EK Luc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    42

    Quote Originally Posted by gtbtk View Post
    there is nothing wrong with the Micron memory itself.

    The problem is a software bug in the driver software that overclocks the memory before the memory VRMs turn up the voltage high enough to support the overclock.

    This is particularly relevant when the card is idling at less than .800v

    You can work around the problem by using the Afterburner curve screen to lock the voltage. You select the point that you want to lock the voltage at (1.093v) and press the"L" key then apply. After you have locked the voltage, the memory should be stable if you OC it to speeds above 480-500.

    Sorry I don't know how you might do that in Gpu Tweak II.
    I'll try it! Thanks!

  5. #15
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    35

    Quote Originally Posted by gtbtk View Post
    there is nothing wrong with the Micron memory itself.

    The problem is a software bug in the driver software that overclocks the memory before the memory VRMs turn up the voltage high enough to support the overclock.

    This is particularly relevant when the card is idling at less than .800v

    You can work around the problem by using the Afterburner curve screen to lock the voltage. You select the point that you want to lock the voltage at (1.093v) and press the"L" key then apply. After you have locked the voltage, the memory should be stable if you OC it to speeds above 480-500.

    Sorry I don't know how you might do that in Gpu Tweak II.
    There are of course a lot wrong with the Micron memory chips themselves, not only do they not overclock as much as the higher quality Samsung ICs, but they can not handle voltage fluctuations like you stated and that is an issue with the chip design or manufacturing, also locking the voltage is not a convenient way to use a GPU, because you can't let your GPU run at 1.093v all the time since it draws power and gets hot doing nothing if you are not gaming, on top of that on my card locking the voltage or not artifacts still appear in titles like rotTR using almost all 8GB available.

    Micron memory ICs do not like OC at all because they exhibit inferior quality and power properties by design as it appears, that is if you are lucky to get stable memory at stock settings, many Micron GTX 1070s are unstable without any OC at all, ASUS appears to be the least affected by that, MSI and EVGA appear to be the most affected, but still the Strix 1070 with Samsung memory is higher quality and more stable product than Micron Strix ..

  6. #16
    ROG Enthusiast Array F3niX PC Specs
    F3niX PC Specs
    MotherboardGigabyte Z77X-D3H
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3770k @ 4,2Ghz
    Memory (part number)Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC
    MonitorDell U2515H
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2WD Black 1TB
    CPU CoolerCoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
    CaseBitFenix Shinobi Window
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
    Keyboard Razer Lycosa
    Mouse Razer DeathAdder 3.5G
    Headset Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    41

    Will we see some kind of bios update to fix these micron problems?Have the manufacturers been notified and do we have any official response?
    Running at full voltage all the time is more of a workaround than a fix,as the cards are drawing too much power when idle.

  7. #17
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    35

    Quote Originally Posted by F3niX View Post
    Will we see some kind of bios update to fix these micron problems?Have the manufacturers been notified and do we have any official response?
    Running at full voltage all the time is more of a workaround than a fix,as the cards are drawing too much power when idle.
    The manufacturers have decided to be totally silent about this, and guard any information regarding this issue as a "top-secret" because it looks like Nvidia has not given them the permission to talk or say a single word about this issue.

    No official response from ASUS in this thread and no official response from Nvidia in the GeForce.com thread for this issue.

    E-mailing ASUS support for any info. regarding this was unsuccessful, currently talking about this issue by AIBs looks to be strictly prohibited, the issue remains a top-secret until further notice, not sure what they are hiding or why they are hiding it, it is just extremely frustrating for customers like us with Micron GTX 1070s not knowing weather to return our cards, wait for a fix or what to do exactly?!

  8. #18
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea
    Menthol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Reputation
    241
    Posts
    4,547

    I don't know about this generation and it is probably different per manufacture but last generation cards, Samsung memory would clock higher and scale with voltage increase if you had a card with vram adjustment but Micron memory had tighter timings which kind of made up for it in benchmark scores
    If you had 2 cards with the different memory chips you may find bench scores or FPS in games may be pretty much the same even with the difference in memory speed

    Just my ramble

  9. #19
    ROG Enthusiast Array F3niX PC Specs
    F3niX PC Specs
    MotherboardGigabyte Z77X-D3H
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3770k @ 4,2Ghz
    Memory (part number)Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC
    MonitorDell U2515H
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2WD Black 1TB
    CPU CoolerCoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
    CaseBitFenix Shinobi Window
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
    Keyboard Razer Lycosa
    Mouse Razer DeathAdder 3.5G
    Headset Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    41

    Quote Originally Posted by gtbtk View Post
    there is nothing wrong with the Micron memory itself.

    The problem is a software bug in the driver software that overclocks the memory before the memory VRMs turn up the voltage high enough to support the overclock.

    This is particularly relevant when the card is idling at less than .800v

    You can work around the problem by using the Afterburner curve screen to lock the voltage. You select the point that you want to lock the voltage at (1.093v) and press the"L" key then apply. After you have locked the voltage, the memory should be stable if you OC it to speeds above 480-500.

    Sorry I don't know how you might do that in Gpu Tweak II.
    I did test this theory and it seems to be true.I can achieve higher stable overclocks(about 8900) when the card is at full speed.Still less than 9000mhz that people are getting on easily on samsung but higher than the 8400mhz
    overclock that i could achieve before.Though this has its drawbacks as the card gets a bit hotter on idle and never getiing into 0rpm mode(on auto fan profile)

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSX View Post
    The manufacturers have decided to be totally silent about this, and guard any information regarding this issue as a "top-secret" because it looks like Nvidia has not given them the permission to talk or say a single word about this issue.

    No official response from ASUS in this thread and no official response from Nvidia in the GeForce.com thread for this issue.

    E-mailing ASUS support for any info. regarding this was unsuccessful, currently talking about this issue by AIBs looks to be strictly prohibited, the issue remains a top-secret until further notice, not sure what they are hiding or why they are hiding it, it is just extremely frustrating for customers like us with Micron GTX 1070s not knowing weather to return our cards, wait for a fix or what to do exactly?!
    I wonder why they do this.It seems to be an easy voltage fix.I know they can only guarrantee 8000mhz and above that its just luck.But we should get some short of an answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Menthol View Post
    I don't know about this generation and it is probably different per manufacture but last generation cards, Samsung memory would clock higher and scale with voltage increase if you had a card with vram adjustment but Micron memory had tighter timings which kind of made up for it in benchmark scores
    If you had 2 cards with the different memory chips you may find bench scores or FPS in games may be pretty much the same even with the difference in memory speed

    Just my ramble
    I didn't know about this.So if i understood correctly,lower clocked micron memory could have the same results as a higher clocked samsung memory?
    Last edited by F3niX; 09-26-2016 at 03:17 PM.

  10. #20
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    35

    Quote Originally Posted by F3niX View Post
    I wonder why they do this.It seems to be an easy voltage fix.I know they can only guarrantee 8000mhz and above that its just luck.But we should get some short of an answer.
    It is probably to save money or make more profits, or to lower the potential GTX 1070 performance to encourage more GTX 1080 sales, they do not want to talk about it because it will probably piss of the market a lot if they admit they have done that, Nvidia just responded in the GeForce.com thread about this issue that they will look into it, and that is the first official response given after one month of complaints regarding this, so we will see what happens.

    And we do not know if it is easy fix or not or if it is even fixable in software, if it was easy to fix it would have been fixed by now, but maybe a software fix is impossible.

    Quote Originally Posted by F3niX View Post
    I didn't know about this.So if i understood correctly,lower clocked micron memory could have the same results as a higher clocked samsung memory?
    Not true at all for Micron's GDDR5 8Ghz modules recently used on the GTX 1070, performance is directly correlated to memory frequency in Micron and Samsung alike, and since Micron memory OC potential is almost non-existent, they provide lower performance than cards with Samsung memory, add to that they are generally unstable, they result in full system lock-up and crash and screen-wide artifacts even on desktop and MS Edge browser ..

    We will see if Nvidia gets back to us with more information soon or not ...
    Last edited by GamerSX; 09-23-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •