CaseBitFenix Shinobi Window
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
    Keyboard Razer Lycosa
    Mouse Razer DeathAdder 3.5G
    Headset Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSX View Post
    It is probably to save money or make more profits, or to lower the potential GTX 1070 performance to encourage more GTX 1080 sales, they do not want to talk about it because it will probably piss of the market a lot if they admit they have done that, Nvidia just responded in the GeForce.com thread about this issue that they will look into it, and that is the first official response given after one month of complaints regarding this, so we will see what happens.

And we do not know if it is easy fix or not or if it is even fixable in software, if it was easy to fix it would have been fixed by now, but maybe a software fix is impossible.

Not true at all for Micron's GDDR5 8Ghz modules recently used on the GTX 1070, performance is directly correlated to memory frequency in Micron and Samsung alike, and since Micron memory OC potential is almost non-existent, they provide lower performance than cards with Samsung memory, add to that they are generally unstable, they result in full system lock-up and crash and screen-wide artifacts even on desktop and MS Edge browser ..

We will see if Nvidia gets back to us with more information soon or not ...
    Micron memory is worse than samsung in oc potential but its not THAT bad actually.They just have to fix this voltage problem.
    By locking the voltage my memory can go up to 8900 which i think is not that bad.(Maybe i am lucky idk)
    Without locking it only goes to 8400 which IS bad :P

Also i don't think its actually nvidias fault.I think all FE edition cards still use samsung memory. Its AIB fault that use micron memory in their custom boards.
    Its propably them that we should be hammering down :P

ROG Enthusiast Array

I am pretty convinced that i have this Micron GTX 1070 memory issue figured out with the aid of Micron's GDDR5 datasheet found here https://www.micron.com/products/data...b-595ce11150c4

Micron graphics memory in general is not terrible, but it is a 2nd-tier manufacturer after Samsung, since Samsung GDDR5 has always had a higher quality and headroom across the different generations.

I am talking specifically about Micron's GDDR5 which has a maximum data rate of 8.0 Gb/s

According to its datasheet found here https://www.micron.com/products/data...b-595ce11150c4

Micron GDDR5 operate at data rates of 6.0 Gb/s, 7.0 Gb/s, 8.0 Gb/s (MAX)

8.0 Gb/s being the maximum rated for this memory which could explain why there is no headroom left because at stock settings the memory is already pushed to its limit.

If the same Micron GDDR5 chips were used on a 7 Gb/s rated GPU it would have been great, very stable and would have an amazing OC headroom left ..

The way they have used these Micron GDDR5 modules is bad and makes it of a much lower quality standards than Samsung's GDDR5 which appear to support up to 9 Gb/s and so it has that great headroom and stability ..

This cheaping out on components is not a good thing, you could cheap out on coolers, chokes, power phases, or any other GPU component, it will still operate at stock settings but will provide an overall lower quality and performance.

If you imagine that the highest binned GTX 1070 cards like the MSI Gaming Z, EVGA FTW, Asus Strix OC, Zotac AMP! Extreme, Gigabyte Xtreme, have all switched to Micron's lower quality chips when on other parts of the cards they are using premium components you will realize this whole thing must be orchestrated by NVIDIA as a direct design change to downgrade the GTX 1070 ..

When you also know that in previous generations (700 and 900 series) top binned cards were all using Samsung, you will realize that AIBs had no control over this because it is Nvidia who ordered them to do so.

Also when you think about the amount of vagueness, shadiness and secrecy surrounding this decision, and the fact that Nvidia and all its partners refuse to give any information about the switch, you will know how messed up this situation is.

I also predict that no fix will ever be provided because it is meant to be and stay this way, that the GTX 1070 has been downgraded and capped at a max 8Ghz memory for business and financial reasons, and it is manipulative that this has been done after review samples were sent out, if they have done this from the very beginning, reactions would have been very different.

It looks like Samsung's GDDR5 memory was of a much higher quality and headroom than Nvidia liked them to be, to position the GTX 1070 in a certain performance category compared to its GTX 1080 and other products in its lineup, so they have downgraded the card to cap its memory performance for business reasons, but can't publicly announce what they have done.

Also Founder's Edition cards look to be drying up in my market, and all what will be left of the GTX 1070 till the end of the generation is AIB cards with the downgraded Micron GDDR5 with a max data rate of 8 Gb/s

I am very much convinced that this analysis with the aid of Micron's GDDR5 datasheet is pretty accurate and reflects what actually happened behind the scenes.

Also when the card is already selling way above its MSRP and since now its performance has been downgraded it should have least come down to its MSRP level to reflect the cheaper, lower quality memory chips now being used

Downgrading the card's performance while still keeping it way above its MSRP after review samples have been sent out with better quality components and staying in total silence and denial about the situation, makes this unacceptable from a consumer stand-point and i predict the GTX 1070 prices will start coming down to reflect its new value proposition and lower demand after this move.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Great news update, we actually managed to get Nvidia to make a new vBIOS for Micron cards that should improve the overclocking experience or at least make it stable at stock, said vBIOS will be made available through board partners soon.

Can't wait to actually try it, pretty excited about it

ROG Enthusiast Array F3niX PC Specs
    F3niX PC Specs
    MotherboardGigabyte Z77X-D3H
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3770k @ 4,2Ghz
    Memory (part number)Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC
    MonitorDell U2515H
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2WD Black 1TB
    CPU CoolerCoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
    Keyboard Razer Lycosa
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSX View Post
    Great news update, we actually managed to get Nvidia to make a new vBIOS for Micron cards that should improve the overclocking experience or at least make it stable at stock, said vBIOS will be made available through board partners soon.

Can't wait to actually try it, pretty excited about it
    Great news. Hope they fix it. Silly question incoming
    How do we get vbios updates? We need gpu tweak or something? How do we receive them?

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Techpowerup has vbios updates but do it at your own risk.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

ROG Enthusiast Array F3niX PC Specs
    F3niX PC Specs
    MotherboardGigabyte Z77X-D3H
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3770k @ 4,2Ghz
    Memory (part number)Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8GB 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC
    MonitorDell U2515H
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2WD Black 1TB
    CPU CoolerCoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
    Keyboard Razer Lycosa
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

I am not talking about vbios in general.I am talking about official vbios updates from asus and others,like the one that we will recieve soon.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Oh ok sorry about that, I believe you are referring to the updates with GPU Tweak II. I just checked and there hasn't been any released for the ROG Strix 1070 yet, at least GPU Tweak II hasn't notified me of any.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by F3niX View Post
    Great news. Hope they fix it. Silly question incoming
    How do we get vbios updates? We need gpu tweak or something? How do we receive them?
    I don't know for sure but it should be pretty simple, as soon as NVIDIA provides ASUS with the new base code for the GTX 1070s with Micron memory vBIOS, ASUS will tweak the base BIOS with the settings for the Strix OC and non-OC and then will probably upload it into the product support page in the form of a one click BIOS update tool that would identify your card and flash the new BIOS.

It most probably works like this, NVIDIA has just finished making the BIOS yesterday and according to them, they have not sent it to board partners yet, maybe ongoing internal testing, once ASUS gets its hands on it, i think it will not take long to customize it for the Strix and do some internal testing as well and then release it, i expect that we will all be able to get it next week or so, if i am not so hopeful.

I think ASUS might take a few days to make a tool that will make sure that cards with Samsung memory will not be able to flash it and that it will only target Micron memory cards.

Best is to just wait a few days and see, i personally hope we get it as soon as humanly possible.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    Oh ok sorry about that, I believe you are referring to the updates with GPU Tweak II. I just checked and there hasn't been any released for the ROG Strix 1070 yet, at least GPU Tweak II hasn't notified me of any.
    Nate152 could you please ask the BIOS guys at ASUS about the ETA for the Strix version of the new NVIDIA vBIOS targeted at fixing the stability issues with GTX 1070s with Micron memory? and if they got the new base BIOS from Nvidia yet?

Ex-employee Array

Hi Gamer,

I'll check with our product team regarding this issue, however normally if the issue is related to Nvidia all manufacturers should get the code from Nvidia around the same time and normally most will release the new BIOS around the same time.

I'll update everyone in this thread once I get a reply from our team.

Best Regards,
    Bahz

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast