cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG279Q - Read before buying. BLB/IPS Glow mini-review.

projix
Level 8
I want to make a small honest writeup about this. While there are many valid concerns, not everything is completely FUBAR as often portrayed here.

There are two main issues:
Backlight bleed and IPS glow.

Backlight bleed issues:
These days a lot of this is ironed out. Meaning that it is probably fairly rare that you get a monitor where the backlight bleed is going to cover half the screen if the build date is recent.
However the panel itself is an imperfect solution. Perhaps it is possible to cherry pick a monitor that has no backlight bleed at all if you have 20+ panels to choose from, but usually they all have a little bit.
Here is a picture of my monitor, which I picked out of 3 panels at the store (yes, we dimmed the lights and I tested each one):
It is taken at 30 brightness in normal ambient lighting conditions. Note also, that I adjusted the ISO and the shutter on my camera to make it as similar as possible to actually viewing the monitor.
If you look at this picture first - it is almost impossible to notice any backlight bleed. Because I am using a rational brightness setting in a lit room.
Note that my walls are nearly white, so what you see here is not any kind of bleed but simply a reflection of the coating on the screen and my silhouette.

Now the same monitor at the same brightness with the lights out. Again the camera had it's shutter and ISO adjusted to make it look lifelike. A lot of the pictures on this site are overexposed and show things invisible to the naked eye. Even this attempt is a little worse in the photo than in real life.
Using this picture as a reference you can watch the first picture again, and you should make out a tiny bit of the backlight bleed on the picture with the room lit.
Now, while 30 brightness will burn your retinas with the lights out - even if you set the brightness at 10, which is a bit dim even for a dark room, you will still notice the bleed.

What this means is - IF you like to play in the dark with the lights out, DO NOT BUY THIS MONITOR. You will hate it, and you will just complain how terrible the bleed is.
However, if you play in normal lighting conditions, and you get a panel with some bleed in the corners only with the center being bleed free (like the majority of them are these days), then I do not see a problem. You will not really notice it. Even on loading screens.

Most of these monitors have three places with BLB:
1) Worst one is by the buttons
2) One opposite the buttons in the bottom left corner.
3) One in the top right corner

All three monitors that I viewed at the store had very similar amounts of bleed in exactly the same places. On one the bleed in the upper right was much stronger than on the other two. I can see it being distracting.

IPS glow/viewing angles:
Aside from the BLB, because of the size of the monitor there is also an issue with IPS glow.
The IPS glow means that the minimum viewing distance where this stops being an issue is about 55cm, otherwise the sides will look washed out - grayish. Some people have reported this, and most likely they are sitting closer than 55cm to the screen.
65cm is the spot where glow is no longer discernible on a black background and the panel appears uniform.

Overall - the other features of the monitor are nice.
The color reproduction is good.
The response is good enough for twitch FPS.
G-Sync is awesome for killing input lag and stutter. If you are sensitive to it then there will be a huge difference in responsiveness and feel.
If your eyesight is good then 1440p is a huge step-up in visual quality from 1080p, but you need a card to drive it. GTX980Ti minimum for AAA titles.

Closure:
There is no perfect 1440p G-Sync monitor on the market.
The TN panels suffer from dithering artifacts which at least for me was more annoying than the BLB which is almost unnoticeable in a lit room.
However, if you enjoy playing in a dark room DO NOT BUY THIS MONITOR, get the PG278Q - the colors are nearly as good, but you will have to live with the dithering during movement. No bleed issues though.
Also, make sure that:
a) You have the option to return it
OR
b) If you buy from a physical store in a country where the physical store does not offer returns (my case for example) - make sure you get the room properly dimmed, set the brightness at around 20-30 and see how bad it is. Compare multiple screens - you will get a reference point after that. If the store does not want to accommodate you on this, find another store to give your money to.
If you do not have either of the two options above DO NOT BUY THIS MONITOR. Or you may find yourself in a nightmare situation of arguing about what constitutes an "acceptable level" of backlight bleed with the warranty department of the place you bought it from.

Is this OK for a monitor that costs over 800 EUR? I can just say that right now there is no other panel that does 1440p, 144hz and has G-Sync without quirks. So either live with it, or wait until something else (better) comes up.
17 REPLIES 17

Bahz
Level 12
Wow this write up is very informative, thank you so much for sharing this.

oG_kill3r
Level 7
"dithering artifacts" i don't notice this with my PG278Q ! This is the reason i did not go with the PG279Q ... backlight bleed ... 4ms response ... the thought of having to play the return game until you find a good one ... no thanks ! Oh and the leave the lights on or off is lol !

oG kill3r wrote:
"dithering artifacts" i don't notice this with my PG278Q ! This is the reason i did not go with the PG279Q ... backlight bleed ... 4ms response ... the thought of having to play the return game until you find a good one ... no thanks ! Oh and the leave the lights on or off is lol !

They all have dithering artifacts, it is just the way the panel works.
Some notice it and get very irritated by it, some don't notice it at all. If you are not bothered/don't notice the linescan/dithering then buy the PG278Q.
As for lights on/off - I never use the computer with the lights out ever, so the slight backlight bleed doesn't bother me - same like you don't notice the artifacts on the 278Q (I do).

As for the response time. The 278Q has average 2.9ms response time at 144hz. The 279Q has 5.2ms.
However, the 279Q has 1.8ms less signal processing lag. This means that in the end, the difference is something like 0.5ms, I don't think anyone is going to notice that.
Speed wise the monitors are pretty much equal.

As I said there is no perfect monitor. The 278Q has dithering, the 279Q has BLB. Up to you which one bothers you less. Everything else is pretty much equal on these two.

oG kill3r wrote:

I did experience Pixel inversion on the PG278Q when I was looking on sites like Ebay or some others when scrolling up and down through items. It doesn't do all websites though, I guess it depends what kind of background thing that they used.

On my PG279Q, it doesnt show any of that, I may have like the similar backlight bleed as his but I can tolerate it since I don't really play in a dark room.

It seems that the BLB diminishes with time.
Here is a photo of my monitor as of today. Note there is basically no yellow in it - just a bit in the upper left corner. The blue-ish tint is just IPS glow/the camera having problems showing the correct colors. There is no blue when looking at it with your eyes.

I don't know why this is, but apart from the intrinsic IPS glow this panel is basically perfect. I do not notice any yellow in the lower right corner anymore at all even in games with black loading screens.

projix wrote:
It seems that the BLB diminishes with time.
Here is a photo of my monitor as of today. Note there is basically no yellow in it - just a bit in the upper left corner. The blue-ish tint is just IPS glow/the camera having problems showing the correct colors. There is no blue when looking at it with your eyes.

I don't know why this is, but apart from the intrinsic IPS glow this panel is basically perfect. I do not notice any yellow in the lower right corner anymore at all even in games with black loading screens.

I have similar experience. The bigger bleeds are now minimal and my minimal bleeds are gone. I think during packaging there is some pressure on the monitor causing some of the bleed. After 3 months there is now just a single minor bleed on the right border at center height only noticeable in dark (loading screen or dark environment). I don't notice it while playing even in the dark because i'm not focused on it. Overall I think this monitor is well worth it even with its small defects
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

gupsterg
Level 13
Nice write up projix 🙂 , thanks for taking time to share your experience (+rep 🙂 ) .
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
Nice write up projix 🙂 , thanks for taking time to share your experience (+rep 🙂 ) .

Hey guys, I noticed this topic so I figured I would share my experience with this great monitor.

2 days ago I purchased the ASUS PG279Q SWIFT monitor and fired it up and was quite happy with the performance, the 2nd day I had more time on my hand and figured let's see whether there are any blemishes or defects and sure enough, the bleeding was IMHO totally unacceptable and after close inspection I was surprised to see 5 scratches, 3 of which were 1 cm in length and the others were as if somebody tapped the screen with a pointy object.

I can live with IPS glow and bleeding to a certain extent but this was totally unacceptable and so I returned it and got it replaced with the same model.

Here is a picture of the 1st model, distance from screen to the phone is ~50 cm and it is in a rather dark room with the lights off and set at 80 brightness see attachment 1.

Now I am curious as to whether I should return the replacement because it too has some bleeding and I am curious as to whether this specific model has acceptable bleeding?

See attachment 2 and 3, distance is roughly the same, ISO on the camera has been set to 160 as to not exaggerate the lighting that is there and the same environment, dark room with no lighting on, attachment 2 is at 60 brightness and attachment 3 is at 100 brightness.

Let me know what you guys think.

Janne-71
Level 7
I would not return it if the bleed is only issue, that's pretty much as good as it get's with these monitors. +it could diminish overtime as others have said. It all comes to if it bothers you or not. Download color profile for it from tftcentral, they also tell you what brightness values to use etc. If the second picture is lifelike, then you might even consider yourself lucky :P.