Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

I just ran on stock settings for awhile at both 90 and 144hz. Text in Windows 10 and Chrome still seem ok on mine (even when the line shows up).

ROG Member Array

got a notification that my monitor was shipped back from asus after being in their hands for about 1 business day. I specifically requested a new panel and a firmware update, due to a dead pixel and backlight bleed issues. They never gave any statement of the work done to the monitor before sending it back, so I'm dubious I'm getting anything other than the exact same panel back from them... with or without a firmware update. I'll give an update when I receive the monitor.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Hope it works for you when you get it back. I would say a safe assumption is that only the firmware update was done as that is what this is about but who knows. In any case I am certain they did not ship it there and then ship it back without doing the firmware update. As I said before that would make no business sense at all in any context. Keep us updated.

ROG Member Array

My monitor came back today and as I expected, it was the same one I sent - so no hardware fixes, but I guess I can live with that. Also, I noticed some dust under the screen that I definitely never noticed in the last year and a half with this monitor. Don't know if this is new or old (or how it could even be new).

I've had the monitor set up for about 15 minutes so far and have been constantly power cycling it while connected to my pc at 144 Hz / 1440p and haven't had the vertical line appear yet. I'm crossing my fingers at this point but if it works long term, I'll consider myself satisfied.

If I don't post again, assume I'm good.
    Last edited by jershinator; 03-26-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Ex-employee Array

Quote Originally Posted by jershinator View Post
    My monitor came back today and as I expected, it was the same one I sent - so no hardware fixes, but I guess I can live with that. Also, I noticed some dust under the screen that I definitely never noticed in the last year and a half with this monitor. Don't know if this is new or old (or how it could even be new).

I've had the monitor set up for about 15 minutes so far and have been constantly power cycling it while connected to my pc at 144 Hz / 1440p and haven't had the vertical line appear yet. I'm crossing my fingers at this point but if it works long term, I'll consider myself satisfied.

If I don't post again, assume I'm good.
    Thanks for sharing this, I think this may be the first report that the firmware has been updated properly and working as it should. Anyone else that has sent back the monitor for the firmware update please do share you results after getting back the monitor.

ROG Member Array

Something I never noticed before on stock settings. When I open up the OSD sometimes it reports that the monitor thinks it's running at 2568x1440 (when obviously it should be 2560). This seems independent of whether or not the line wants to show up but I still feel like it has to be related. Like maybe the wrong resolution gets negotiated and then you've got the monitor trying to scale it weirdly. A quick google search of 2568x1440 and mg279q turns up a few other people who have reported this happening too. So far I haven't seen it when I use CRU to set my custom refresh rate to get rid of the line.

Anyway, Bahz had Asus tech support contact me directly so if I make any progress with them I'll let everyone know.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Hey grum_feast. Never noticed before myself but indeed sometimes when I bring up the OSD it reports that the monitors running at 2568x1440 instead of 2560. On mine it does this whether the line in the middle is there or not. No idea if there is a connection though. Thought I'd add my two cents.

Best of luck with support.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by grum_feast View Post
    Something I never noticed before on stock settings. When I open up the OSD sometimes it reports that the monitor thinks it's running at 2568x1440 (when obviously it should be 2560). This seems independent of whether or not the line wants to show up but I still feel like it has to be related. Like maybe the wrong resolution gets negotiated and then you've got the monitor trying to scale it weirdly. A quick google search of 2568x1440 and mg279q turns up a few other people who have reported this happening too. So far I haven't seen it when I use CRU to set my custom refresh rate to get rid of the line.

Anyway, Bahz had Asus tech support contact me directly so if I make any progress with them I'll let everyone know.
    Would you mind sharing and explaining your CRU setup? I attempted to apply refresh rates for 142 and 143 but it didn't seem to help.

Has anyone else got their monitor back and can report on the results?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by YiRz99 View Post
    Would you mind sharing and explaining your CRU setup? I attempted to apply refresh rates for 142 and 143 but it didn't seem to help.
    No problem YiRz99. Here's step by step exactly what I did on mine since it was pretty baffling the first time I used it. I can also send you my saved CRU settings file if you want to PM me your e-mail.

First thing I do is nuke all the modes lower than 144 Hz since a lot of games have this weird habit of randomly starting in 60 Hz (not sure if this is a driver or a Windows problem or what). The second thing I do is move the 144 Hz mode from the extension blocks section into the main detailed resolutions section. If you don't do this after deleting all the lower refresh rates then Windows doesn't seem to recognize 2560x1440 as the "preferred" resolution anymore which causes some issues. Then I go into the 144 Hz mode and subtract 1 from whatever number the refresh rate was actually set to.

After this you can optionally try to overclock your Freesync range by changing the V rate range limits if you haven't already (no guarantee this will work on every monitor as it's not officially supported by Asus and all that). 57-143 Hz works great on mine (and if a game drops below 57 fps then the Low Framerate Compensator in the driver will kick in basically allowing Freesync to continue to work below its normal range).

Finally, after hitting OK a bunch of times, I run Restart.exe to get the driver to see the new modes.

Also you should know there was a bug in the AMD driver that was preventing custom monitor modes from being recognized. They fixed it just a few versions ago so make sure you're on the absolute latest driver.

Detailed steps
    1. Select the one item that's listed under the "Extension blocks" section then click Edit underneath that. This will bring up your additional 2560x1440 modes that go beyond 90 Hz
    2. Select the mode for 2560x1440 @ 143.855 Hz then click Edit underneath that
    3. Click Copy at the top
    4. Click Cancel
    5. Select and delete all the 2560x1440 modes listed in that window
    6. Click OK
    7. Select and delete all the remaining 2560x1440 modes listed under detailed resolutions in the original window
    8. Click Add underneath that section
    9. Click Paste at the top
    10. Change the refresh rate from 143.855 Hz to 142.855 Hz
    11. Click OK
    12. (Optionally) click Edit at the top next to your monitor name and under Range Limits change V rate to 57 - 143 Hz
    13. Click OK until you've exited CRU
    14. Click Restart.exe to reload the driver so it recognizes your custom settings

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by grum_feast View Post
    No problem YiRz99. Here's step by step exactly what I did on mine since it was pretty baffling the first time I used it. I can also send you my saved CRU settings file if you want to PM me your e-mail.

First thing I do is nuke all the modes lower than 144 Hz since a lot of games have this weird habit of randomly starting in 60 Hz (not sure if this is a driver or a Windows problem or what). The second thing I do is move the 144 Hz mode from the extension blocks section into the main detailed resolutions section. If you don't do this after deleting all the lower refresh rates then Windows doesn't seem to recognize 2560x1440 as the "preferred" resolution anymore which causes some issues. Then I go into the 144 Hz mode and subtract 1 from whatever number the refresh rate was actually set to.

After this you can optionally try to overclock your Freesync range by changing the V rate range limits if you haven't already (no guarantee this will work on every monitor as it's not officially supported by Asus and all that). 57-143 Hz works great on mine (and if a game drops below 57 fps then the Low Framerate Compensator in the driver will kick in basically allowing Freesync to continue to work below its normal range).

Finally, after hitting OK a bunch of times, I run Restart.exe to get the driver to see the new modes.

Also you should know there was a bug in the AMD driver that was preventing custom monitor modes from being recognized. They fixed it just a few versions ago so make sure you're on the absolute latest driver.

Detailed steps
    1. Select the one item that's listed under the "Extension blocks" section then click Edit underneath that. This will bring up your additional 2560x1440 modes that go beyond 90 Hz
    2. Select the mode for 2560x1440 @ 143.855 Hz then click Edit underneath that
    3. Click Copy at the top
    4. Click Cancel
    5. Select and delete all the 2560x1440 modes listed in that window
    6. Click OK
    7. Select and delete all the remaining 2560x1440 modes listed under detailed resolutions in the original window
    8. Click Add underneath that section
    9. Click Paste at the top
    10. Change the refresh rate from 143.855 Hz to 142.855 Hz
    11. Click OK
    12. (Optionally) click Edit at the top next to your monitor name and under Range Limits change V rate to 57 - 143 Hz
    13. Click OK until you've exited CRU
    14. Click Restart.exe to reload the driver so it recognizes your custom settings
    Thanks I'm currently running AMD 17.4.2 driver (holding out hope one day they'll fix Battlefield 1 Crossfire so it actually improves performance). I haven't really used CRU before so the detailed steps were incredibly helpful!

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast