cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Impact Wireless Card Replacement.

boneil
Level 7
I want to buy the Maximus VIII Impact Motherboard. But others are having problems using the preinstalled Wireless/Bluetooth card on Windows 10 because of bad drivers. I want to replace the Wireless card with an Intel 8265 card to fix this issue and I need to know the following.

1. Is the Wireless card actually removable, i.e. is the metal casing of the Wi-Fi GO! box soldered on?

2. Does it use an M.2 2230 connector?

If you have this motherboard will you please check for me? ASUS customer support is of no help. Here is what the wireless card housing looks like.

Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2

dethrattle
Level 7
The metal shielding isn't soldered on, but I couldn't tell you if it's got a standard m.2 connector underneath. I just bought one this past Sunday and I didn't have any issues with bad drivers myself; my initial issue was just getting the things to appear in device manager. After updating to the latest BIOS, disabling BT and wifi in the BIOS, then resetting the CMOS, it started working.

The built-in BT/Wifi is from Qualcomm. I downloaded the latest drivers from Asus and so far (after the initial hiccup) it's working great.

I don't think you'd be able to just replace the card even if it's using an M.2 form factor underneath the shield. The BIOS may be locked to using the Qualcomm card because of FCC regulations. 😕 The fact that the BIOS can control the card too makes me believe this even more.

FuryA
Level 8
It is not recommended to change the wifi adapter , perhaps lose warranty