cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVE10 - Utilising m.2 and u.2 slots?

Keveira
Level 7
I am wondering if:

1. Am I able to utilise both m.2 and u.2 interfaces at the same time.

2.a. Can I hardware RAID 0 the m.2 and u.2 drives so I have a bootable OS drive.

2.b. If not, is there another way to do it while still having the same speed benefit of these interfaces.

I have the Rampage V Edition 10 board with a 28 lane cpu (i7-6800k) installed and currently have my OS booting on my m.2 drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7 REPLIES 7

kkn
Level 14
on the U.2 you can raid up to 4 drives, but you cant raid 2 diffrent drives together like M.2 and U.2.
the M.2 takes speed from the pcie lanes and the U.2 from the sata lanes ( stated in manual ).

Keveira
Level 7
Oh, I thought the U.2 port also used the PCIe lanes due to the U.2 being disabled when that particular PCIe port is in use.

Keveira
Level 7
And regarding the RAID of 4 drives on U.2, what max speed does each perform at?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Keveira wrote:

1. Am I able to utilise both m.2 and u.2 interfaces at the same time.

2.a. Can I hardware RAID 0 the m.2 and u.2 drives so I have a bootable OS drive.

2.b. If not, is there another way to do it while still having the same speed benefit of these interfaces.

Pretty sure the answers are no, no and no(why bother)

Any raid setup you make on U2 or M2 will not be bootable! The RAID would be software raid in windows.

RAID 0 was a desperate measure in the HDD days...it is pretty much not needed anymore with good NVME SSDs...I shouldn't wonder software raid is slower than
decent sized M2nvme drive running on M2 slot..

Maybe raid some ssds on the sata ports if you want to risk your data integrity that much?

Keveira
Level 7
Thanks for the info.

It's ok I'll have backups of the drives, I was after speedier drives so maybe RAID 0 SATA SSDs would be the next option.

kkn
Level 14
if you want to you can raid 4 ssd's on the U.2 port, but you are only geting as fast as the drives can do.
if you raid 4 driver with 550/500 R/W each it all depends on the raid setup you do.

i was a bit off here whit what was what on pcie and sata.

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2260/2280/22110 storage devices support ( Supports PCIE SSDs only)*4
1 x U.2 port, support PCIe 3.0 x4 NVM Express storage*4
*4 These ports share bandwidth with PCIEx8_4 slot.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/specifications/

Keveira
Level 7
Edit: accidentally double posted.