cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selected file is not a proper bios

arnaud_p
Level 7
Hi people,

I downloaded bios 2001 for my maximus viii ranger and before flashing with EZ flash 3 utility it told me :"selected bios is not a proper bios file". I m sure i downloaded it from http://www.asus.com/support. So i tried to flash it to usb bios flashback and it flashed successfully apparently. My question is that i m afraid the bios file is a "wrong" file or corrupted one. Could it be possible?

Thanks for answering my questions,

Kind regards,
10 REPLIES 10

Janne-71
Level 7
That happened to me when my usb drive wasn't fat32-formatted. It only accepts that format.

Janne-71 wrote:
That happened to me when my usb drive wasn't fat32-formatted. It only accepts that format.

Yes, I also had that on my first attempt. Just format to FAT32 and the file will be read correctly

but the flashdrive is already formatted as fat32 but with a quick format i should maybe do it with a full format.

Anyway here is the screenshot as a proof. the file i tried to flash was 2001 from https://asus.com/fr

Hello,

Yes apparently formatting the usb flashdrive in fat32 completely did the trick,

Thank you for your precious answer,

Kind regards,

Arnaud

FuryA
Level 8
arnaud p wrote:
Hi people,

I downloaded bios 2001 for my maximus viii ranger and before flashing with EZ flash 3 utility it told me :"selected bios is not a proper bios file". I m sure i downloaded it from http://www.asus.com/support. So i tried to flash it to usb bios flashback and it flashed successfully apparently. My question is that i m afraid the bios file is a "wrong" file or corrupted one. Could it be possible?

Thanks for answering my questions,

Kind regards,

Do you have screenshot can show that
maybe other users can help to check

NemesisChild
Level 12
This happened to me after updating to 2202 on my Hero VIII. I tried to revert to previous bios versions but keep getting this same message.
I have tied reformatting with FAT32 and even different flash drives to no avail.
The odd part is that 2202 seems to be running fine but I wanted to compare the XMP profiles against previous versions.

Anyone else try reverting to an older bios versions after updating to 2202?

I'm wondering if the new CPU uCode in 2202 is not allowing a bios rollback for some reason.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

jab383
Level 13
Microcode 74 for Skylake was a good bug fix and I've had no trouble with it.

Microcode 76 is where Intel prevented BCLK overclocking of locked CPUs like the i3 6320 etc. and took away some of the fun. If Microcode 76 or higher showed up in BIOS 2202, perhaps Intel wants those CPUs to stay locked.

Isn't it convenient that BIOS chips are in sockets?

NemesisChild
Level 12
I was able to reflash 2202 but it will not allow reverting to a previous bios version.

Be warned, once you flash to 2202, there's no going back!
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

You can, with USB Flashback. I successfully downgraded BIOS from 2202 to previous version using usb flashback. Couldn't do it via EZFlash tho, received error. Mobo: hero VIII.