cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we have an HDR monitor now?

deadchip12
Level 7
Developers are hesitant to include HDR in PC games due to the lack of HDR monitors. Also, I don't want to buy a separate HDR TV just for PS4 Pro.
So Asus ROG, please tell me an HDR monitor is currently in development and gonna be released soon so I can sleep at night XD
Make it a 27-30 inch 120Hz, 4K, HDR, Gsync monitor and I will buy it on Day 1.
2 REPLIES 2

claydough
Level 7
deadchip12 wrote:
Developers are hesitant to include HDR in PC games due to the lack of HDR monitors. Also, I don't want to buy a separate HDR TV just for PS4 Pro.
So Asus ROG, please tell me an HDR monitor is currently in development and gonna be released soon so I can sleep at night XD
Make it a 27-30 inch 120Hz, 4K, HDR, Gsync monitor and I will buy it on Day 1.

If only there was a 32 to 27 inch TV market of any note there would be at least some alternative route from the insane pricing of enthusiast branded gear.
If 10 bit HDR wasn't so exciting from an artist's perspective I would probably just buy a 40" "insert Korean brand here" TV on sale for $4xx with 8 bit HDR and call it a day. But even then it seems that one has to be careful that there is no HDR lag and it's best to wait to see if there is a game mode or bios fix for HDR lag befor opening a wallet.
As it stands...
I do not see any obvious in-depth descriptions in the advertising of the new HDR monitors so far?
Lag free?
10 bit?
WCG wide color gamuts?
price?
Ads tout high nits and dark blacks but no claim that the Quantum Dot tech featured highly in the advertising are self-emitting diodes which if not would be pretty disingenuous considering as much would be needed to tout true dark blacks that could compete with self emitting OLED tech.

We get fast 144mhz IPS screens with Nvidia G-sync hardware in a 4k monitor but no mention of 3Dvision? ( one selling point that would open my wallet to replace the 3 aging 120mhz I have now for 3Dvision gaming in surround. I bought those at a premium but the market has given up on me even though it keeps producing fast monitors. i feel like Rodney Dangerfield... No respect! 🙂 )

Could some one point me to such in depth coverage?

I'll go as high as $600 considering I need to buy three cuz going back to a single display is not an option after one falls in love with wide.
But I am guessing that I won't get that for another 5 years ( hoping the Koreans will simply create an HDR10 OLED TV at 32" or less but even the top 2 did not include 3D in their line up for 2017! :(. Kind of odd when Billion are being spent on stereoscopic tech via VR/AR/MR )
But I have no confidence in sane priced gaming monitors.
Enthusiast is slowly becoming another word for blind sucker for market rape appeal.
😞

claydough
Level 7
Found at least one answer.
http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/04/rog-pg27uq-intro/
Thankfully the HDR supports 10 bit HDR10 which I suppose assures WCG as well.
Still no word on hos ASUS adresses the issue of HDR lag gamers are finding in some HDR TV brands but I have some confidence all the research thay put into making an IPS screen run at 144mhz might count for something. As it would be pretty confounding if HDR lag then discounted any such benefit? 🙂
I guess since the PG27UQ is an IPS screen that as much would mean LCD there fore NOT the cutting edge self-emitting Quantum DOT Diode tech that an army of enthusiasts are salivating for. But hey! lets all pretend that as much is not the holy grail of true blacks with high yields and desirous as all get out! Or that we would know the difference between some LCD Quantum Dot Hybrid like the big Korean manufacturer put out till it can find an answer to it's Blue Diode woes ( supposedly in 2019! ).
Just mention Quantum Dot and leave it at that! Grumble, grumble... ( so yeah probably a hybrid solution which u would replace in 2019 for another premium price. sucks to be sheep huh? )