cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raid 0 of intel 750 series pci need some help

Cneves
Level 7
Hello folks!!

I would like to know if is possible to make a Raid 0 of 2 Intel SSDs 750 series 400GB PCI (non sata)
I have just one gpu in the first PCI bay.

Is there some incompability around the others pci bays? Until now i know that pci Raid 0 is possible via Software.

In fact i just need more performance to edit large raw files in lightroom, and RAM (to ramdisk) is much more expensive

Anyone has a similar Raid 0? what about the performance?

Or... should I wait for Optane SSD??? (3D Xpoint)

many thanks

Cristina
6 REPLIES 6

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The X99 platform lacks the capability needed to RAID PCIe drives. As noted software RAID only.

Chino
Level 15
Hello Cristina,

Yes, it's possible to put two Intel 750 in a RAID 0 array with your specific configuration. Unfortunately you can only do a software RAID on with X99 chipset which means that it won't be bootable.

FuryA
Level 8
Cneves wrote:
Hello folks!!

I would like to know if is possible to make a Raid 0 of 2 Intel SSDs 750 series 400GB PCI (non sata)
I have just one gpu in the first PCI bay.

Is there some incompability around the others pci bays? Until now i know that pci Raid 0 is possible via Software.

In fact i just need more performance to edit large raw files in lightroom, and RAM (to ramdisk) is much more expensive

Anyone has a similar Raid 0? what about the performance?

Or... should I wait for Optane SSD??? (3D Xpoint)

many thanks

Cristina

hi Cneves

This is a known technical limitation of x99 platform
it doesn't suport PCIe/M.2 SSD for building RAID system:(

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Not sure Raid 0 would bring much to the performance table these days over the soon to be available large fast M2 ssds.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2182564

Maybe raid some ssds on sata?

You can raid PCIe drives but only software RAID ...not a bootable RAID setup. However RAID 0 of course means insreased data risk.

I reckon you'd have to be a very niche case to get much benefit in lightroom this way...

Overclock the CPU would bring you more performance 😉

Zarathustraa
Level 7
What I've read about NVME drives is there is a performance improvement with 2, but performance is actually lower if you raid 0 more than 2 drives. That being said I don't think most motherboards can support two raid 0 drives, without taking away from other pcie slots. Probably need to wait for Skylake E for it to be worth it.

I understand... i think the best solution is Ramdisk. Let´s go set up one