cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for PG278q and PG279Q

Fusiion
Level 7
Hello all. Im new here to the forums i have a question. I just made an order on PG278Q monitor and should arrive to me on Monday or maybe tomorrow if im lucky. But i saw the monitor is from 2014 and wondering is the Backligh bleed and the panel still there or fixed now
Same with the PG279Q? I play alot of FPS, MMO, Strat games. For FPS games i play alot of CSGO, Battlefield, Overwatch. MMO games is just for now World of Warcraft. Strat game can be StarCraft 2. So which monitor would fit best the PG278Q or PG279Q and what is the difference betwean those screens beside the 3D future and inbuild speakers and 165HZ (OC).
More could i not find at all the difference betwean those two monitors. Or should i just stick with the PG278Q since it has a TN panel which is best for FPS games that i play alot of right now. But i saw the IPS screen is more likely for photo/video editing and such things. But the PG278Q was only in stock atm and not the PG279Q.
8 REPLIES 8

Lacan
Level 7
I'm not going to sugar coat it. The PG279Q is drop dead amazing when you get a working model making the PG278Q feel washed out in comparison. However with that said, the road to a good 279Q is not a easy one. You have four lottery hoops to jump through, Black light bleed, Yellow Screen, dead pixels, firmware. Even though I got a perfect screen with minimal BLB I failed the firmware. Some have gone as far as 5 or more trying to find that perfect monitor. Most of my friends as well as forum posts on here suggest with the 278Q they got a good panel the first try. I'd suggest sticking with what you have until IPS process matures more or you feel like gambling...

Lacan wrote:
I'm not going to sugar coat it. The PG279Q is drop dead amazing when you get a working model making the PG278Q feel washed out in comparison. However with that said, the road to a good 279Q is not a easy one. You have four lottery hoops to jump through, Black light bleed, Yellow Screen, dead pixels, firmware. Even though I got a perfect screen with minimal BLB I failed the firmware. Some have gone as far as 5 or more trying to find that perfect monitor. Most of my friends as well as forum posts on here suggest with the 278Q they got a good panel the first try. I'd suggest sticking with what you have until IPS process matures more or you feel like gambling...

What he said. also being that I felt it was worth it for me to get a good 279q like I did.

I will also report that the yellow tint issue that I had initially with this 5th 279q of mine was not bad. Just minor enough to keep. and the BLB wasn't to bad compared to the rest. The yellow tint issue seems to have almost disapeered completely. I moved my screen around last night and couldn't really even notice it. So i feel like there is a manufacturing issue that resolves itself somehow. I'm not saying it will be the same for everyone else though. But yea the IPS display murders the TN panels if you like good graphics. If all you are worried about is being pro level gamer on competitive matches then the difference in response speed is 1ms for the TN panel and 5ms for the IPS I believe. you can look up videos on YouTube comparing this if you want a better idea.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Lacan wrote:

Hey thanks for you answer. I hope the PG278Q will work like a charm when it arrives to me. And about what u said thats why i ordered the 278Q instead.
Thanks again for the answer. Had one friend who bought 2 279q x2 and for him he had a good lottery with it. I will as I said go for pg278q for now until pg279q is fixed completely. I mean don't wanna spend time to send it back and back and back again.

oG_kill3r
Level 7
Money not being a issue here i picked up the PG278Q three weeks ago and haven't looked back . No backlight bleed , dead pixels etc . I did NOT feel like playing the return game with the PG279Q until i find a good one !

You have a higher chance getting a good panel with a PG278Q vs the PG279Q. The main difference is the TN VS IPS panels

oG_kill3r
Level 7
Just picked up the PG278Q three weeks ago . I am 100% satisfied with it , no back light bleed , no dead pixels .

Hello again thanks again for ya all advice. Canceled my order because i thought me and friend would going to our capital city and do stuff there and i was going to bring the PG278Q home with me today.
But in that case aint went well since my friend needed to work today. So now me and an other friend will drive to our capital city tomorrow on the morning and pick it up just made an order for the store and cant wait for tomorrow 🙂

Just got my monitor now for for like 1-2h ago came back from Stockholm (my capital city) and what i can see right now the screen working fine no BLR panel fine no dead pixel or anything.
So i will try some more games with the Gsync on my PG278Q and thanks to you all for the help and advice 🙂