Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array gustmi4 PC Specs
    gustmi4 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus CM 200 Chromebook, HP Chromebook 14 (second gen), Lenovo T400
    MotherboardAsus Z170-A
    ProcessorI5-6600K
    Memory (part number)Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2666 MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming
    MonitorAsus VE228 21,5"
    Storage #1Corsair Force LE 240GB
    Storage #2Kingston HyperX 120GB, Intel 330 120GB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U12S
    CaseFractal Design R4
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2
    Headset AKG K702, Steelseries, Logitech
    OS Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by elmor View Post
    You need a BIOS which supports Windows XP, for M8F that would be 0018 from here http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=142991 . Also check out the OC guide for instructions on how to install Windows XP.
    Went for a coffee in the middle of responding to this thread and much had happened since then and when I pressed Submit Reply. Haha. =)

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Kenrou's Avatar

Full instructions for several motherboards and a link for USB install for Win7/WinXP

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=142991
    CPU: i7-6700k @4.7ghz
    Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
    GPU: Strix 980ti OC

RAM: 2x 8GB Ripjaws V 3200mhz C14
    Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero

SSD: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
    HDD: 1x WD Black 4TB
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold
    CASE: Fractal Define R5 Black

ROG Enthusiast Array Jones0610 PC Specs
    Jones0610 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ROG G750 JX
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Formula
    ProcessorIntel Pentium G4400
    Memory (part number)g.skill ripjaws 3200 16Gb (8x2)
    MonitorLG LED 28"
    Storage #1WD 3TB red
    Power SupplySeasonic X-series 650
    Mouse Roccat

Thanks very much for the information. However, I am not looking to do a cold install of XP on my M8F mobo.

What I want to do is purchase several ROG mobos and upgrade the hardware of several currently running XP Pro PCs. Basically, replace the old mobos in running, legacy machines with ROG hw so that I can continue using the apps that are installed on them under the currently running XP OS. I'll eventually have to upgrade them to Win10, of course.....

As a test, I have an already built 60 Gb Maxtor sata HDD that I pulled out of an old but running PC and tried to boot it on my M8F mobo that is currently in a breadboard state in the workshop.

Won't boot.

Starts to bring up Windows and then reverts back to the ROG logo screen. Endless loop doing that.

For fun, I tried booting from the XP install CD. Loads a bunch of sw and then blue screens.

So..... what I need to know is what magic incantations need to be said to get an already built XP Pro sata HDD to boot on M8F iron

I'll worry about drivers and pressing the lapels once XP Pro is running. Success for me would be being able to continue using my legacy XP PCs with ROG mobos installed in them.

Once I confirm that this plan is workable, I'll be installing Win10 Pro on the new M8F mobo I currently have and will procede building that new system.
    Then I'll be purchasing more ASUS ROG mobos and will begin systematically upgrading my fleet of legacy XP Pro PCs.

This is NOT a "how to build/install XP Pro on a M8F" issue. It's a "how to get an XP Pro HDD to boot on a M8F mobo question".

Quote Originally Posted by Jones0610 View Post
    I'll worry about drivers and pressing the lapels once XP Pro is running. Success for me would be being able to continue using my legacy XP PCs with ROG mobos installed in them.
    Hello

This desire has been mentioned several times now. XP does not natively contain the necessary drivers for the Z170 platform which is why the system is not booting. The drivers need to be added as well as using the XP modded BIOS. A backup utility that allows restoring to dissimilar hardware is the best option of injecting the necessary drivers.

Jones0610 PC Specs
    MonitorLG LED 28"
    Storage #1WD 3TB red
    Mouse Roccat

Please say more about how to impliment the steps you described. In the past I have simply booted onto new hardware and installed chipset etc drivers once the OS was running. This is the first time I have been unable to boot on new hardware.

Modding the BIOS: I'm currently running 2202. Someone advised 0018 which is well over a year old. My assumption is that BIOS upgrades are backward compatible. Having to revert to a year old BIOS seems insane to me.

Not being able to boot the XP installation CD does sound like a BIOS issue since chipset drivers are clearly out of the picture. Or an incorrect BIOS setting although the CD does boot..... it just blue screens at some point before the installation GUI comes up. In a sane engineering development organization, rev 2202 of a BIOS would contain everything in all previous versions (e.g. 0018) plus the latest fixes.

Injecting the drivers on a previously built XP HDD: How would you accomplish this?

The HDD has been removed from a machine that was subsequently disassembled. So this would have to be done offline. I seriously doubt that Z170 chipset drivers could be installed on a running XP Pro system running on a 775 (or non Z170) chipset anyway.

I don't doubt what you are saying..... just don't know how to impliment your suggestions.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jones0610 View Post
    Thanks very much for the information. However, I am not looking to do a cold install of XP on my M8F mobo.

What I want to do is purchase several ROG mobos and upgrade the hardware of several currently running XP Pro PCs. Basically, replace the old mobos in running, legacy machines with ROG hw so that I can continue using the apps that are installed on them under the currently running XP OS. I'll eventually have to upgrade them to Win10, of course.....

As a test, I have an already built 60 Gb Maxtor sata HDD that I pulled out of an old but running PC and tried to boot it on my M8F mobo that is currently in a breadboard state in the workshop.

Won't boot.

Starts to bring up Windows and then reverts back to the ROG logo screen. Endless loop doing that.

For fun, I tried booting from the XP install CD. Loads a bunch of sw and then blue screens.

So..... what I need to know is what magic incantations need to be said to get an already built XP Pro sata HDD to boot on M8F iron

Once I confirm that this plan is workable, I'll be installing Win10 Pro on the new M8F mobo I currently have and will procede building that new system.
    Then I'll be purchasing more ASUS ROG mobos and will begin systematically upgrading my fleet of legacy XP Pro PCs.

This is NOT a "how to build/install XP Pro on a M8F" issue. It's a "how to get an XP Pro HDD to boot on a M8F mobo question".
    You still need to flash the bios with XP support.

In order to inject the driver you can use the method from here http://www.prime-expert.com/articles...windows-xp.php (step 4 and onwards), using the Z170 AHCI XP driver http://www.mediafire.com/?5c3t05284lsg8sz.

Note that this will most likely render the system unable to boot on the previously working system, and if it fails it won't boot on either. I recommend cloning the drive before attempting this.

Jones0610 PC Specs
    MonitorLG LED 28"
    Storage #1WD 3TB red
    Mouse Roccat

So version 0018 of the BIOS has support for XP and XP support was removed from all subsequent versions of the BIOS? This may be true but it makes absolutely no sense.

I am currently running OpenSuse on the M8F and it runs perfectly fine except for some very minor issues. ASUS doesn't even pretent to support Linux on this mobo and there are no drivers whatever for it. Linux uses a totally different file system and bootloader.... so Linux works fine and Windows XP won't even boot?!?!?!

In addition, an OpenSuse HDD that ran fine on the same source PC as my test XP Pro HDD boots fine on the M8F. The only problem is that the built-in wifi doesn't work which is what I would expect when there are no drivers available.

As I said, even the XP Pro install CD won't run on the M8F.

At this point I have pretty much abandoned my plans to upgrade all of my current PCs with ROG hardware. I "get it" that XP won't run on M8F hw unless you go through all sorts of insane gyrations which may or may not be successful. Since the M8F was designed for Gamers who tend to run the latest of everything and have the funds to do so, I can see why ASUS would not put much energy into legacy os support. My bad for buying the best mobo for gaming that's out there....

I'll still continue my M8F solo system build..... but "plan B" will be to purchase an el-cheapo Z170 mobo and see if I can get my test XP Pro HDD to boot on it. If that test is successful, as I expect it will be, I wil obviously have zero respect for the ASUS ROG Engineering guys........ I already have zero respect for ASUS support which has so far ignored my trouble tickets.

Supporting XP in BIOS 0018 and then removing that support in all subsequent versions of BIOS, if true, is a major gaffe IMHO. The 2202 BIOS *SEEMS* to support legacy and non-windows operating systems.....

Hello

UEFI version 0018 was released solely for support of XP when running some benchmarks. It is a one-off UEFI and has absolutely nothing to do with any other UEFI version before or after. So nothing was removed in subsequent UEFI versions. And good luck with success on any other Z170 motherboard. As I wrote in my first post the XP limitation is the result of the Z170 platform and not any particular motherboard or brand.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

I don't mean to honk your horn Jones0610 but if you had no intentions of playing games you should not even considered the maximus viii formula or any ROG motherboard because you paid for a lot of features you will never use, the maximus viii formula and ROG boards are designed specifically for gamers in mind. Windows XP supports directx9 and who would want that when you can have directx12 again a gaming feature.

With your cpu, windows XP and the maximus viii formula (the formula being a ferrari) that would be like ordering a ferrari and telling them to skip all the nice features and put a volkswagon engine in it. And when you do that you might as well have just bought the volkswagon because you basically just end up with the body and low performance, sure it will look like a ferrari but it won't run like one, it just doesn't make any sense. I agree you should have gone with a lesser z-170 board but as Praz said the z-170 chipset does not natively support windows XP, this would easily be resolved with windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10. Since you now know the maximus viii formula supports bitlocker without the TPM module why not just break down and use windows 10?

I used windows 7 with the maximus viii formula then did the free upgrade to windows 10.

Again I don't mean to honk your horn that's just my thoughts and opinion.

Jones0610 PC Specs
    MonitorLG LED 28"
    Storage #1WD 3TB red
    Mouse Roccat

I don't feel like you are honking my horn. Your comments are reasoable although irrelevant in my situation. I thought I explained my plan several times aready but for anyone doing a search on XP Support for ROG mobos here it is again.

My current M8F build will replace a ten year old Allendale PC that has been my "daily driver". My goal is to build a new PC that will still be running when I am in my grave. At age 69, if the M8F performs as well as the Allendale it will meet this objective. The Allendale system was built on a very high end Intel mobo that was also "way too much mobo for my needs". Clearly, since it is still running ten years later, albeit feeling it's age, my design plan was correct for my needs.

To accomplish my objective, I need a mobo with exemplary build quality, that contains components that were selected for reliablility and stability, not low cost. I also need a mobo that has the latest and greatest (skylake, M.2, etc., etc) so that I can upgrade it from time to time. A mobo built by a company that provides exemplary support (frequent BIOS/driver updates as needed and excellent tech support).

From a design standpoint, the M8F seems to be built like a tank. I have every confidence that it is up for a 10+ year run as a 7x24 workhorse.

"Gamer machines" typically run great until the next generation of power hungry gaming software comes along. I am not at all interested in the Ferrari that needs a total engine rebuild after one race. I want a Roll Royce that will still run flawlessly generations from now. Capice?

Moving forward... unlike many Gamers I am retired and do not have unlimited funds to build toys with. I am also a degreed, disciplined Engineer who does things in a very methodical manner. I am building this system slowly and methodically starting with a reasonable but unimpressive G4400 CPU. It is currently in a breadboard state running free OpenSuse Leap Linux. After it burns in for a month I'll have the funds to purchase a Win10 Pro USB and a garden variety SSD,

Over the next few months I will upgrade this PC to a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD, the biggest, fastest, most capable CPU available, lotsa fast RAM, a REALLY good graphics card and so on.

My intention is to recycle the G4400 and other low end parts I'm using to get this M8F build off the ground.

That brings me to the next phase of my plan which I'm trying to validate.....

I have quite a few legacy XP Pro PCs that run fine at the moment but are also feeling their age. Eventually XP will become unuseable and I want to be ready for the day when I HAVE to upgrade to Win10. Clearly, buying a half dozen or more mobos at one time as well as all the needed supporting hardware to upgrade these PCs is not feasible for me. A more reasonable approach would be to buy just new mobos, CPUs and RAM (in stages) and continue to run them as XP Pro PCs for a while longer. Then do the remaining upgrades, in steps, as needed.

I had hoped that the M8F would run my existing XP HDDs..... so far that's looking increasingly unlikely.

The M8F needn't run XP flawlessly..... I understand that there is no driver support..... but all of my apps really don't care about the Z170 chipset. So long as my stuff runs more or less ok on the new mobo I will be blissfully happy. That is to say that if my XP Pro HDD boots on my M8F breadboard, I'll consider that to be a success. I'm not expecting or even wanting XP OS support since I understand that XP is past end-of-life. I do, however, expect that legacy operating systems like XP and various flavors of *NIX will at least boot especially since the 2202 BIOS seems to support that.

Anyone who understand configuration management knows that having a dozen computers all containing different hardware is a LOT more difficult to support than having everything running similar hw. Since ROG is a high quality brand, it was my first choice when planning to upgrade my fleet. I probably won't upgrade everything to M8F..... but if I can upgrade my existing machines to a Hero or Ranger platform, that would be great.

I can certainly upgrade my legacy machines using el-cheapo one-off non-ASUS mobos if it comes to that. But as I explained above, that approach is less desireable. And to be honest, the fact that ASUS support has been totally MIA during this exercise is MUCH more of a concern to me...... I'm really not that keen to spend a pile of $$$ upgrading my machines to run on hw made my a vendor that is as unresonsive as ASUS has been so far.

I've managed some VERY big data centers and I can tell you from past painful experience that there is NOTHING worse than being tethered to a vendor who could care less about it's custoemrs. Can you say "Oracle"?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast