cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HERO VIII - How to downgrade BIOS

njuub
Level 7
Hi,

I'm unable to find any info how to downgrade BIOS. After searching now I know that I was possibly upgrading my BIOS incorrectly. I did it via AI suite in Windows. My issue is that I have updated BIOS to 2001 and later to 2202. However, after few days my PC started crashing during gaming, without any error. I didnt make any other changes, something is causing my system to be unstable when its under load. There's nothing in Event Viewer except for Critical Event that system crashed unexpectedly.
The crashes started on 26/09, I updated the bios on 16/09 and 28/09. At first it was crashing rarely, like 2 times during extensive gaming. However, since 2 days it is constantly crashing after being under heavy load between 5-10min. I run benchmark, it crashed. Did CPU stress test (prime95) it crashed. Open any game (eg. Total War: Warhammer/DOTA2) it crashes after the same amount of time 5-10min. I rolled back OC to default settings, still the same. When I check the logs from MSI afterburner I cant find anything odd, temps seem ok. I plan to swap few components but i will be able to do it tomorrow to further test but prior that I want to roll back BIOS to 1902 on which my system was stable.
Back to bios downgrade..I downloaded the .CAP file and tried to do it via AI suite first however it throws out error when I select previous version. I went to BIOS and tried to downgrade it from there by choosing open file from storage, but it gives error when I choose the .CAP file that the file is not BIOS? Should I do it with USB EZFlash, if yes could someone explain how?
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hi njuub

Welcome to the ROG forum !

You can use the ROG bios flashback method, format an empty usb flash drive to FAT32 and rename the bios file to M8H.CAP

Here is a guide you can follow.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Thanks, I will do it now! Will report back 🙂

Nate152
All right,

Yes please let us know if you're able to roll back to a previous bios version.

Downgraded fine with USB flashback, however it has not resolved the issue. PC is still crashing under load after around 10min 😞

Nate152
All right,

Reset the bios to defaults (F5), do not enable XMP and set your gpu to defaults then test.

If you still get crashing please list all your pc hardware.

Sorry for no response but I was busy with work and troubleshooting the issue. Issues was with PSU. It seems I was unlucky with the unit. This is very fresh build that I assembled 2 months ago. Replacing PSU resolved the issue. So people don't be affraid to update the BIOS 🙂

Nate152
Awesome njuub !

Good job finding the problem and thank you for reporting. 🙂

Daytrader
Level 11
When renaming bios file to M8H.CAP, is that including the file extension, so if file extensions are shown, you just rename MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO-ASUS-2202 correct.

Nate152
That's correct, extract the bios file to your usb flash drive and rename it to M8H.CAP 🙂