dacster
Level 7
Hello,

My brand new setup consisting of:

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER Socket-1151
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 TURBO
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake Prosessor
Corsair RM750x 750W PSU
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666MHz 16GB (2x8gb)
Corsair Carbide Quiet 400Q Midi Tower
Noctua NH-D15 CPU Kjøler

I thought it would be smart updating to the latest BIOS driver 2202. Updated. Restart PC.
Getting different error codes. First i got the code 62 which made the VGA_LED light up.
I removed the GPU and use the onboard GPU to see if that worked. Same error. Tried a few more reboots.
Error code 32, 79, 96. Managed to get into BIOS. All settings at Default. Went through most of the settings just to find out BIOS freezes.
Rebooted. Getting a Power Supply Surges detected. Installed my old PSU.
Tried different slots at my house (kitchen, upstairs, living room) Nothing happened. Disabled ASUS Surge protection in BIOS.
Same weird problems occuring that my BIOS is freezing. Right now i'm starting to become kinda clueless with what i should do...

Update:

Claered the CMOS. I flashed back to the old 1701 drivers that it had from the day i bought it. Now i'm in BIOS and loaded the defaults.
Let's see what happens now when i try to run from USB to install Windows 10.

Ran the UEFI USB partition one to install Windows 10.
ROG logo shows up. You can see the loading circle going clockwise and then it suddenly freezes. Q-Kode A0

Rebooted again. Getting the same Power supply surges detected during the previous power on.
ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!

I'm pretty sure that this is not the case.

Disablted Anti Surge. Saved and Quit BIOS. Next startup Q-kode 32.
Pushed the reset button on my MB. Next startup i'm back at the same ROG loading screen where it just hangs

Managed to get into BIOS again. Tried to run from the UEFI USB setting first which gave me the Machine check exception error.

Trying to run from the normal USB setting now which also gives me the Machine check exception.

Could it be that the windows 10 file i download from microsoft to make a USB installation is corrupt?

Update:

THe USB installation file is not corrupt. I've managed to install Windows 10 but when the installer says it's time to reboot itself my pc will just
freeze again and not complete the installation.

Update 2:

Been running with 1 single module installed in A2 slot.

Alright. Switched RAM modules. Still using slot A2 as it says in the manual.
Installed Windows. PC Reboots fine. Then it is finishing the installation and suddenly i get a CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT problem.

The only USB port that i am using is the blue one on the back where this USB stick is plugged in with the windows 10 files.
I'm using my keyboard through this USB/PS2 connector.
Displayport cabel is plugged in on the onboard gfx.
SSD is plugged in on the SATA 6G_12 socket

CPU temp is stable between 26-30C

Update:
I managed to get it working. I'm now running on 1 CPU core with alot of things in my BIOS disabled that has to do with CPU.
Does this mean my CPU could be bad?

Update: Slowly by Slowly i started enabling several CPU options again.
Now i'm running with 8 cores and Hyper Threading enabled and it loads Windows without any problem.
I'm running Prime95 stress test now so let's see what happens there

Prime95 just crashed right after it started.... Tried to reboot but getting the Q-code 79. Had to CLR_CMOS

Thanks

-Rick
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hi dacster

Welcome to the ROG forum.

I get the Clock_Watchdog_Timeout crash when my overclock isn't stable, do you get an overclocking failed message after you get this?

The freezing is likely to do with the ram, in the bios on the extreme tweaker tab try raising the Dram voltage to 1.25v - 1.30v does this stop the freezing ?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi dacster

Welcome to the ROG forum.

I get the Clock_Watchdog_Timeout crash when my overclock isn't stable, do you get an overclocking failed message after you get this?

The freezing is likely to do with the ram, in the bios on the extreme tweaker tab try raising the Dram voltage to 1.25v - 1.30v does this stop the freezing ?

Hey Nate,

Thank you.

I managed to get back into my BIOS and noticed my CPU Core Voltage was running with 1.5V. All my settings are at default because i have never OCed a system before.

I've now went to Ai Overclock Tuner and am using XMP
XMP DDR4-2667 16-18-35 1.2V as it says on my DDR

Lower down im at CPU Core/Cache Voltage which i put in Manual Mode to lower the 1.5 Volts to 1.250V (is that enough?)
Changed the DRAM Voltage to 1.2474V

Advanced Tab:
Hyper Threading Disabled
Active Processor Cores: 1

That only got me getting into Windows.. should i enable Hyper Threading again and put Active Processor Cores to All?

Update: Tried Hyper Threading Disabled with Active Processor Cores All. That froze after a few seconds in BIOS and it wouldnt not load Windows.
Error code i got was b2

Nate152
Wow 1.5v on auto in the bios is high for default settings, 1.20v - 1.25v should be enough for a stock 6700k.

You want all cores and hyper threading enabled.

Try rolling back to bios 1902 and see if this has an effect on voltage and stability.

Nate152 wrote:
Wow 1.5v on auto in the bios is high for default settings, 1.20v - 1.25v should be enough for a stock 6700k.

You want all cores and hyper threading enabled.

Try rolling back to bios 1902 and see if this has an effect on voltage and stability.

Asus site aint working since yesterday. At the moment im running the 1701 drivers. I have the 2202 and the 2001 drivers saved on my laptop though just in case.
Like i mentioned enabling Hyper Threading and all cores makes it crash... i could up the RAM voltage to 1.3V i guess?

got a hold on the 1902 drivers now. Flashing as we speak

Update:
1902 drivers didnt change the 1.5v on my cpu cores. I changed it again to manual and 1.2V.
Upped the RAM to 1.28V

Hyper Threading enabled with Cores at 1 works.
Hyper Threading enabled with Cores at 2 works.
Hyper Threading enabled with Cores at 3 freezes my pc. Q-code A0

Nate152
My friend it's looking like you may have a bad cpu as it should run on default settings with all cores and hyperthreading enabled without problems and have much lower voltage readings in the bios.

I've seen a few people having trouble with the corsair vengeance lpx ram and raising the voltage most of the time does help, you can try the Dram voltage at 1.30v and the cpu core voltage at 1.30v.

let us know if bios 1902 helps.

If none of this helps, contact Intel and tell them what's happening I'd be interested to know what they say and/or if they have you RMA your cpu.

Nate152 wrote:
My friend it's looking like you may have a bad cpu as it should run on default settings with all cores and hyperthreading enabled without problems and have much lower voltage readings in the bios.

I've seen a few people having trouble with the corsair vengeance lpx ram and raising the voltage most of the time does help, you can try the Dram voltage at 1.30v and the cpu core voltage at 1.30v.

let us know if bios 1902 helps.

If none of this helps, contact Intel and tell them what's happening I'd be interested to know what they say and/or if they have you RMA your cpu.

Negative... this didnt help.. as soon as i enable more then 4 cores it's a crash. I guess i have to find some support at Intel.. are they as quick with troubleshooting
as you guys are?

Looks like i have to send the CPU back to the store i bought it from... gonna take over a week before they will send a new one sigh

Thumbs up Nate, thanks for the help!

Nate152
You're welcome,

Yeah contact the store you got it from they should take care of you.

Please come back and give us an update when you get your new cpu.

Nate152 wrote:
You're welcome,

Yeah contact the store you got it from they should take care of you.

Please come back and give us an update when you get your new cpu.

Hey again Nate,

i have contacted the store and have been asked to send the CPU back to them and in the meantime i have to buy a new one else i wont get a new CPU for the
next 2-4 weeks... Great customer service..

Now i screwed up though. Wanted to take the CPU out and it fell out of my hands and ofcourse it managed to break 2 pins on the MB.. awesome

So now i have a new MB and CPU coming my way. Most likely i will get them tomorrow. Will come with an update wheni've mounted everything in place

-Rick

Nate152
Ouch, that was a costly mistake. It was good to order a new motherboard because a board with broken socket pins is not covered under warranty. You could have sent it off for repair but would cost around 150.00 u.s. dollars to replace the cpu socket and who knows when you would have got it back. So you're really only paying about 40.00 dollars more and to have a new working board tomorrow would be worth that to me.

I think you'll be coming with some good news for sure now, I'm looking forward to your update. 🙂