New ROGer Array

Post RE: Rog Strix RX 480 8gb or Rog Strix GTX 1060 6gb OC

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to the ROG forums and the Strix Lineup and l was looking at getting 2 x Rog Strix RC 480's 8gb and put them into crossfire. I have done abit of research on both the AMD and Nvidia Strix Cards. I really wanted to get a good bang for buck card and the Strix RX 480's deffinatly are that. Then looking around and seeing now the Strix Nvidia 1060 6gb OC has come out and looking at it specs it looks like the 1060 runs a lot faster clock speeds in single card but what l can find no SLI on the 1060 OC 6gb. I haven't purchased the cards yet and am looking to get both in the next few weeks but l wanted to put it out there and see if 1060's support SLI e.g 2 x Strix 1060 OC's work or go with 2 x Crossfire Strix RX 480 and could give me a better opinion on which would be the better option. Being the ROG forums l am hoping l can get a more accurate list of specs than the youtube videos l have seen or forums l have read so far and also see which would be better for 3D Gaming, VR and 3D applications such as MAX and Maya. Also which pair of cards will probably last me the longest when it comes to gaming before needing to replace them in the future. A question more needing more technical oppinions.Thanks all.
    Last edited by dasweetdude; 10-01-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Moderator Array

Hi dasweetdude,

The choice is actually quite simple, as GTX1060 simply cannot support SLI. (No connector)

If you want to use multiple GPU in CrossFireX: STRIX RX480 8GB OC (up to 4 GPUs max)
    If you want to use single GPU or more energy efficiency: STRIX GTX1060 6GB OC

New ROGer Array

Going with the RX 480's

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-OP View Post
    Hi dasweetdude,

The choice is actually quite simple, as GTX1060 simply cannot support SLI. (No connector)

If you want to use multiple GPU in CrossFireX: STRIX RX480 8GB OC (up to 4 GPUs max)
    If you want to use single GPU or more energy efficiency: STRIX GTX1060 6GB OC

Thanks for your reply. Decided to go with the Strix RX 480 8gb even after looking at the Asus Strix 1070 to get the SLI support don't think l will notice huge amounts of difference for the amount of money extra 2 x 1070's Cost. Thanks again looking forward to buying my first Strix Product tomorrow and seeing how they perform in crossfire.
    Cheers.