cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73SW Headphone jack problem

ClintonD
Level 7
Hello guys,
First of all A very Happy New Year to All of U!!!!!

I got myself a new G73SW A1.I am very happy with its running till now.Everything runs perfect except one small issue that I found.
The sound from my speakers is ok,but when I use the headphones I don't get a proper sound,some squeals,scratches,in case of songs I can only hear the music sometimes(not the vocals). I tried updating my Realtek Audio driver to 6.23 but the problem still persists.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,Have a great day today!!!
7 REPLIES 7

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Try uninstalling the Realtek software completely, and installing the lastest version directly from Realtek: v2.67

ClintonD
Level 7
Ok,I ll try that.I ll let u know later coz I am goin out sumwhere on New Year.

ClintonD
Level 7
@BrodyBoy
I tried uninstalling the driver completely and reinstalling the v2.67 Realtek driver,but the problem still persists.
What else can I do?

fostert
Level 12
Might be oxidation in the contacts inside the jack? Does the sound change if you twist the jack while its plugged in? Get a can of Contact Cleaner from an electronics shop (.e.g.the source) and squirt a bit in there, or some on the male end of the headphones and insert several times. In a pinch I have used ketchup to clean contacts, but that would be hard to wipe out of the jack!
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
Might be oxidation in the contacts inside the jack? Does the sound change if you twist the jack while its plugged in? Get a can of Contact Cleaner from an electronics shop (.e.g.the source) and squirt a bit in there, or some on the male end of the headphones and insert several times. In a pinch I have used ketchup to clean contacts, but that would be hard to wipe out of the jack!

I guess ur right.I tried inserting the headphone pin just over 3/4th in the jack & it sounds fine.But when I insert it full same problem happens.

JRd1st
Level 12
A tiny bit of toothpaste works well to clean contacts, but only in places where the toothpaste can be cleaned off, too. Not good in a headphone jack, I don't think . . .

A shot of WD40 on the headphone plug then inserted and twisted a few times might work.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Is that stuff conductive though? Might work but I thought a mineral oil would be more of an insulator. I usually use WD40 to lube the hubs of old dusty fans as I assume it doesn't short the windings inside. But I imagine it'd be great to protect from oxidation of the contacts. Worth a try too for sure and easy to wipe off if it doesn't work.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40