cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU fan error! Asus Maximus VI HERO

omgzzz
Level 7
Hi guys,

I've seen this same thread a few times from searching the issue however their solutions didn't help me.

Basically I just bought Rainbow Six Siege and have been playing it for a few days, then suddenly when i turned my PC on a few days ago I was given the "CPU Fan error! Press F1 to resume" error.

My PC is going on 3 years old now, the specs. can be seen on my profile. I haven't changed anything in the 3 years I've had the build so I don't know why this would happen now.

I saw on other threads that the fan wasn't spinning fast enough for the computer so they turn off the notification, however i opened the case and the CPU fan wasn't spinning at all.
The fan I use is not the stock CPU fan, mine's called "Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro"
When I put my build together 3 years ago, i didn't have any thermal paste so i used what was on the stock CPU heat-sink, however i don't think this is an issue as I've been playing games for the past 3 years, and also this shouldn't stop the fans from spinning.

I went into the BIOS to see if there was any details about the CPU Fan and found under 'Monitor->Fan speed monitor' that CPU fan speed is N/A.

Various pictures of the Fan and Bios can be seen here...http://imgur.com/a/wsVB1

If anybody knows how to fix this issue please do let me know, I'd be truely grateful as right now I'm too scared to make the PC work too hard aha.
I also need the PC to do my uni work as I study Computer Science and would be f*cked if it broke, especially after how much it cost 😄

Many thanks,

- J
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi omgzzz

Welcome to the ROG forum.

You're reply below

"however i opened the case and the CPU fan wasn't spinning at all" could indicate the fan has failed.

It looks like you need to do a little fall cleaning, there is a good bit of dust build up in there. 🙂

Do you have another fan you could try with?

Hi nate152,

Thanks for the quick reply it's much appreciated.

Yeah I know haha, and those are good pictures, it gets much worse. I haven't really opened it since I built it, will definitely get to it soon though. 😄

Yeah I've got the stock CPU fan somewhere, I'll try changing it out. Should have tried that already tbh aha.

I'll aquire a different fan, try it out and get back to you.

Many thanks,

- J

Okay, I don't have the stock fan here with me, so instead I took my fan and put it into the CPU_Fan bit on my housemates MOBO, it didn't work, so I think I'm going to have to get a new one.
I tried removing the fan propeller to see if it was on incorrectly or something, this didn't fix anything.

Now should I just buy a replacement fan from Artic and pay the stupid delivery fee and maybe risk it breaking again, or would it be better to get a whole new heat-sink?
Maybe I could even get a different fan for the same heat sink, if i could some how clip it on, would this work?

Many thanks,

- J

Nate152