cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G74 Hard Drive

Brosef91
Level 7
Hello everyone,

Last week i bought an G74SX-BBK7 from Newegg and it' suppose to come with a 1TB hard drive. But when i checked them the first HD was 300GB and the second HD was 240GB, even when i checked the BIOS it said the same. how can this be fixed?
20 REPLIES 20

BrodyBoy
Level 10
None of them actually come with a 1Tb HDD....that spec refers to total disk space. So you should have (2) 500Gb HDDs.

Have you looked in Disk Management to see the disk configuration? Looking at drives in WIindows Explorer isn't definitive, because you can't tell which physical disks the drives are on.

Disk Management shows two 500GB HD's but only one is working and is split into two portions. how do i fix the 2nd HD to make it show up?

Brosef91 wrote:
Disk Management shows two 500GB HD's but only one is working and is split into two portions. how do i fix the 2nd HD to make it show up?

Just to be clear, can you clarify exactly what you're seeing there? (The partition sizes you mentioned earlier do not gibe with the expected disks.)

Could you post a screenshot of Disk Management? That would be really helpful. If not list exactly what you're seeing there.

Disk 0 size:
DIsk 0 partitions & sizes:

DIsk 1 size: (are you seeing a Disk 1?)

Brosef91 wrote:

1.open computer Menage and look for Disk Management
2. select you hidden HD my was Disk 1 465.76 gb
3. right click of touch pad mouse >>>>New Simple Volume>>>>next>>>>next>>>>next>>>>next>>>finesh!!!
wait 6 seconds and there!!!!

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Can you right-click on it and select the option make it active?

(If you could post a Disk Management screenshot, that would be really helpful. Your descriptions so far don't really jibe with the expected disk sizes.)

BrodyBoy wrote:
Can you right-click on it and select the option make it active?

(If you could post a Disk Management screenshot, that would be really helpful. Your descriptions so far don't really jibe with the expected disk sizes.)

Here is a screenshot, if you a different one let me know

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Perfect..thanks. So, you have the two expected 500Gb disks. One seems fine, with the three expected partitions.

Did you try right-clicking on the other disk (literally click inside the space on the graphical display) and choose the "Mark Partition as Active" option? In your screenshot, it doesn't appear that it's active yet.

Brosef91
Level 7
I tried that at the beginning, but it won't let me it grays it out. (screenshot shows it more clearly) 5239

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Okay....well, nothing important is on that disk right? How about you completely delete that volume, leaving the drive as unallocated space, and then make a new partition.

• Right-click on it and select "Delete Volume" (and confirm)
  • Right-click on the unallocated space, select "New Simple Volume." This opens a wizard where you will quick-format the space, name the new drive, and specify a size (if you want it smaller than the whole disk), and assign a drive letter. Accept the default settings for anything you don't want to change.
  • After creating the new partition, it should have a drive letter and be shown in both Disk Management and Windows Explorer.
  • If you didn't use all the space for that partition, you can make another partition from the remaining unallocated space by using the same procedure.