cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramdisk configuration

Cneves
Level 7
Hello boys!!

I´m trying to find the best solution -for me to- to increase performance in SSD. In fact, 2 Intel 750 PCI in raid 0 is not a good idea.

So why do I need this performance? because I use Lightroom to edit between 500 to 900 D810 raw files (per session). The idea is create a Ramdisk to put these raw files during edit process.

At this time i´m using 32 GB (4x8GB Trident Z 3000) and the question is: Can I add now 2x16GB and later more 2x16GB?? I know RVE is quad channel, so is safe to add 2 more modules??

Do you have other suggestions?

Many Thanks for your help
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If you buy RAM for this platform you have to make sure you buy a single binned kit of whatever size and frequency. Adding kits of even the same make and model will often give trouble...especially if you are heading for high frequency and/or high GB quantities.

The memory controller on the CPU is the limiting factor and often the higher you go in frequency the less RAM you can run and vice versa so for large RAM kits like 128GB you would best look to limit ambition for frequency to 2400 for guaranteed results.

I have the same camera but don't process near the same quantity of files in a session so never investigated this specific scenario..but looking at your PC specs it's hard to imagine you will get much more performance...law of diminishing returns etc.

Maybe one of the new 2TB 960Pros for christmas...maybe more RAM but then a single kit to replace not add to the existing...

I presume you have seen https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Decent RAM disk program I have used https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

Chino
Level 15
I'd just sell the 32GB kit and buy a 128GB one. Having a RAMDisk really increases your productivity. I'm running the HyperX Savage 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4 2666 kit on my system. don't even run a swap file anymore. 🙂

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Thinking about picking up a 128 gig kit too, so I can compile Unreal in ram. I've heard 3200 works on the 100 strap, might be the ideal xmp setting for larger kits.
Is a 64 gig kit the highest you'd go if trying to get 3200 Mhz on haswell-e?

red454
Level 11
Arne - how do you think the Softperfect ramdisk software compares to the ASUS version?
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi red454!

Actually I have never used the ASUS version! I regard ASUS as a hardware company...not so keen on their software LOL 😮

But yeah, not tried it so can't really comment. I don't use RAM disk much either...just found that program and tested it and it was easy to use and worked well so posted it up...

You used ASUS? any good?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi red454!

Actually I have never used the ASUS version! I regard ASUS as a hardware company...not so keen on their software LOL 😮

But yeah, not tried it so can't really comment. I don't use RAM disk much either...just found that program and tested it and it was easy to use and worked well so posted it up...

You used ASUS? any good?

Yes - using it now, but I have not used anything else, so I can't compare it. The ROG RAMDisk is fun to play with. It does have a nice "Junction" feature that lets you define or reserve RAM space to be remapped as temporary hard disk space. For example, you can allocate specific working folder as RAM disk space. So if you have a program that you use a lot, you can have it mapped into RAM disk space and it will load and execute at lightning speed.

It is nothing that I really need - but I am a real sucker for anything ROG. Paint it red and black and I will buy it. The marketing department loves me...
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi red454!

You used ASUS? any good?

RAMdisk and RAMcache are outsourced. Just different wrapper for some commercial offerings I'm not at liberty to expose.

Qwinn
Level 11
The ROG RAMDisk is fun to play with. It does have a nice "Junction" feature that lets you define or reserve RAM space to be remapped as temporary hard disk space.

There's two kinds of ramdisks. An imaged ramdisk is mirrored on your hard drive, and the image is updated whenever you do a proper shutdown/restart. Note that power loss or crashing can cause that image to not update and possibly be corrupted. I believe most ramdisk software allows you to create an image on the hard drive. Softperfect definitely does. If there's anything you can do with this "Junction" feature that you can't do by setting up an imaged ramdisk and installing your software to it, I'm not sure what it is. I can believe the Junction feature makes it easier to set up when the software has already been installed.

The other kind of ramdisk, the kind I use, is called a volatile ramdisk. This kind of ramdisk is *not* imaged to the hard drive, and is wiped completely upon restart/reboot. It is useful for creating self-cleaning browser caches that minimize unnecessary writes to expensive SSD's. This is the only kind of ramdisk that I use. Softperfect (Arne's recommendation, which I agree with) makes it very easy to set this up (though be sure, if you set one up, to check "Mount as Removable" when you create it, otherwise you will get Volume Shadow Service Copy errors during backups).

I was never able to set up a volatile ramdisk with ASUS Ramdisk, I could *only* set up imaged ramdisks, which I didn't have a use for. If that ever changes or has changed since I played with it, I might give it another shot, but to me not being able to use it to create volatile ramdisks is a dealbreaker.

Also, Softperfect will warn you that CCleaner is incompatible with using an imaged ramdisk if you have it installed (it is perfectly fine to use with volatile ramdisks). I'd worry (though I am not sure) that all other imaged ramdisks by any software company may also be incompatible with CCleaner and they just don't tell you.