cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VS Backlight off on startup?

miguel_pereira
Level 7
Hello,

I'm a proud new owner of a G752VS, and I'm reallt happy with my purchase!

I've installed a fresh Windows10 (because of the massive amount of bloatware that came), and I've got a minor poblem.
Whenever I turn off the laptop and torn it on again, the Backlight is reset to "OFF" and I have to manually use the FN+F4 to make it lit again. And the numlock button goes off aswell.

Is there a way to make it "remember" the way it was on power-off? I cannot find it anywhere. Even on bios there are almost no options. I had to use a software to undervolt (-15ºC :D).

Thanks!!
17 REPLIES 17

Bravoexo
Level 7
It should have been an installed ASUS Software. You probably have to install it again.

I did intall the ATK driver, the backlight works, its just "reset" when I turn off the laptop. So that's not it.
What software are you talking about?

miguel pereira wrote:
I did intall the ATK driver, the backlight works, its just "reset" when I turn off the laptop. So that's not it.
What software are you talking about?

Yeah same for me too, but haven't bothered to check it through why its not working, if I found anything will post.

pigulici
Level 8
You must install Asus ROG Gaming Center to remember what you set(on or off), even if you give off, you must keep the software installed(I keep it but removed from startup with windows, I keep the light off)...

The_Cool_Dude
Level 10
Hello.

I am seeing the same issue with my G752VS. While I like the lights on the back of my laptop (even though I don't see them while I'm using the laptop) this problem can also be replicated with the numlock and touchpad as well which is what bothers me the most. I have another post about this already but no solution.

The Asus ROG Gaming Center software should be installed along with the ATK driver.

The Asus ROG Gaming Center software has settings to turn on/off the touchpad, lights, etc however after a reboot or even waking from sleep the device you turned on/off will still have the setting set in the Asus ROG Gaming Center but whether or not your particular setting is working or not is anyone's guess.

For example, I have my touchpad turned off in the Asus ROG Gaming Center as I have a USB mouse connected. After either a reboot or even waking from sleep, sometimes the touchpad is still disabled and sometimes its not. When I go into the Asus ROG Gaming Center and check, it's set to be off but the touchpad is active. I have to set it to on then off again in the Asus ROG Gaming Center or use F9 to disable it again. It never stays off for long and is very frustrating.

While I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the Asus ROG Gaming Center software or the drivers, however it is definitely something ASUS needs to have a look at.

I have the same problem, when cold starting. backlight is always of. Also trackpad gestures is not working correctly after cold start, re-boot or repair asus PTP driver solves
Trackpad issue. Lightbar is always on, only way to turn off is to open ROG gaming center and manually change every time. Anyone got a solution or we wait for asus to fix this?

I guess we'll have to wait for ASUS to fix it. I wont install Game Center.

The entire USB hardware of that laptop is implemented extremely weird. It's all related to the "ATK" drivers.

Mine came with ATK version ending in 44 preinstalled. When i realized keyboard backlight didn't work until Windows had started booting, and then had to be manually switched on every time (after reboot), i contacted support.
They told me to uninstall ATK 44 and linked me a version 43. After i uninstalled 44 and rebooted (before installing 43) i noticed the backlight stayed on even past the reboot.

So, the USB device controlling that light (and the rear led lights for that matter) is not properly controlled by the UEFI firmware / BIOS.

I would have accepted the backlight being stuck on the "on" state and being unable to control it, that is what happens if you uninstall ATK while it is on,
sadly this also means touchpad gestures (also by ATK) do not work. So i cant scroll without them. BAAAAD.

Now, there is also newer versions of ATK drivers available (i believe i have 47 right now) if you dig around for them ... well atleast my keyboard won't forget the backlight setting anymore, however it still doesn't turn on until windows has booted.

Want more USB shenanigans? Try shutting down the laptop while an external USB keyboard is attached.
When you boot next time, the integrated keyboard won't work in UEFI/BIOS. If you have a UEFI or HDD password, you're **** out of luck.
The only solution is to plug in a USB keyboard to get past password prompts with.

The keyboard/touchpad/lights are essentially invalid USB devices which can be left in a broken state by the ATK drivers.

miguel_pereira
Level 7
Where can i find that atk finished in 47? I've got the 44 version. Maybe that can help my problem as you mention.