Did you mean: 

(Solved) Bad MoBo or CPU?

Hameli
Level 7
So a week ago i assembled my pc and here are the specs

Asus VIII Hero Alpha
GTX 1080 SLI
Dominator Platinum Ram> Avexir Ram

On the first time i assembled it i got the code 55 which indicates bad ram, i tested the sockets they were fine. removed two sticks of dominator ram and the pc worked perfectly for one week, ive changed it from dominator to avexir ram, i had no issues for few days until today i got the 55 code again, did the usual (remove the psu cable, reset settings to factory) nothing worked, removed two rams, booted and the first thing i noticed is an orange light near the 24 pin, the back fan barely moved then stopped moving, then i got an error that the ssd got failed to initialize, i restarted, the pc booted perfectly and i logged in for few seconds then i got bsod, i tried to disable SMART from bios the first time but uefi frooze, rebooted and disabled smart then booted into windows, for few tries i keep getting different bsod code, then the pc i went into bios the uefi frooze, now the pc booted once at qcode 99 and frooze then qcode 4F and froooze all with black screen, what could be the issue? I tried disconnecting the ssd with no luck, is it a bad mobo?
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi Hameli

Please list your complete pc specs including how many GB of ram, the speed of your ram and if they were purchased as single kits.

Based on the symptoms you describe I'd be suspicious of the PSU. What PSU are you using and what is it's history? This may seem obvious but is the PSU plugged into a clean, grounded power source?

You should probably go back to the basics since it seems to be failing regularly but erratically. Check the voltages, temperatures, connections and so on.

Run memtest for the full 4 passes. Should take about 5 hours.

No overclocking until you have a stabelesystem.

ASUS has a RAM compatibility list.... if your RAM is not on it, you could have a compatibility issue. I have 16 Gb of g.skill 2133 RAM for test purposes just in case I run into these sorts of issues.

emsir
Level 8
Hameli wrote:
So a week ago i assembled my pc and here are the specs

Asus VIII Hero Alpha
GTX 1080 SLI
Dominator Platinum Ram> Avexir Ram

On the first time i assembled it i got the code 55 which indicates bad ram, i tested the sockets they were fine. removed two sticks of dominator ram and the pc worked perfectly for one week, ive changed it from dominator to avexir ram, i had no issues for few days until today i got the 55 code again, did the usual (remove the psu cable, reset settings to factory) nothing worked, removed two rams, booted and the first thing i noticed is an orange light near the 24 pin, the back fan barely moved then stopped moving, then i got an error that the ssd got failed to initialize, i restarted, the pc booted perfectly and i logged in for few seconds then i got bsod, i tried to disable SMART from bios the first time but uefi frooze, rebooted and disabled smart then booted into windows, for few tries i keep getting different bsod code, then the pc i went into bios the uefi frooze, now the pc booted once at qcode 99 and frooze then qcode 4F and froooze all with black screen, what could be the issue? I tried disconnecting the ssd with no luck, is it a bad mobo?

It's not your CPU.....it's your motherboard.
Your CPU socket has bent pins. You did noti nstall the CPU correct. Buy another motherboard (ASUS will NOT replace your motherboard with bent pins) and let someone who knows how to install the CPU do it for you . You should not do it your self.

No disrespect intended emsir but on what facts do you base your assumption?

It's pretty difficult to install a Skylake CPU incorrectly... and while it's certainly possible that the CPU pins could be bent, I see no evidence of this in the problem description.

Since your advice is to throw the mobo in the trash and start over, the OP doesn't have much to lose by at least trying to troubleshoot the issue, right?

I'd be looking at a loose connector or unstanble power as a first step.

ondersma80
Level 7
I would focus on connections and memory. Go for G.Skill, which seems to give the least issues on this platform. I have the Maximus VIII Hero Alpha and use F4-3000C15D-16GTZ which is on the QVL and gives no issues. Check all power connectors, clear your board CMOS, change memory, then power on.

Hameli
Level 7
So i remounted the cpu, changed ram sockets removed ssd and the issue is gone, i was using 4x8gb rams then 2x8gb, one of the ram sockets works sometimes and sometimes compeletely fails, my psu is evga 1000 p2

Nate152
With the ram slot sometimes working this is likely ram instability and you'll need to raise:

1) CPU VCCIO voltage to 1.15v - 1.25v
2) CPU System Agent voltage to 1.15v - 1.25v
3) and possibly raise the Dram voltage 0.05v

I would expect it happening more with your 32GB kit, if it happens again try raising these voltages.