cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix 1080 A8G x8 Link Speed only with X99 Deluxe II MB?

HuckFinn
Level 7
Hello,

I recently bought a new Mainboard ASUS x99 Deluxe II and a ASUS GeForce 1080 Strix Advanced (A8G).
Whatever I do, it seems that the PCIe link speed is only x8, and not x16 as it should be.
The graphics card is in the PCIEx16_1 slot and the Thunderbold card delivered with the MB is in PCIEX16_5 slot.
Within the Bios under TOOL->GPU Post the card is listed as "NVIDIA GPU running at x8 native".
Also under Windows (10) with GPU-z the card is listed with x8 (under load).
I double checked that the card fits right into the slot and there seems to be no mechanical problem.

The mainboard is using the newest BIOS 1003.
The MB is equipped with 128GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX CMK128GX4M8A2666C12 RAM.

Any ideas what is causing this problem?

Best regards
18 REPLIES 18

Hi,

I just removed the Thunderbold card but nothing changed. Bios is still displaying x8.
In GPU-Z it is displayed with x8 too.
It displays "Graphics card capability PCIe x16 3.0"
Currently used: "PCIe x8 3.0"
No change due to removing the TB card.
😞

Anything else could try?
Is this Graphic card or Motherboard related?

HuckFinn wrote:
Hi,

I just removed the Thunderbold card but nothing changed. Bios is still displaying x8.
In GPU-Z it is displayed with x8 too.
It displays "Graphics card capability PCIe x16 3.0"
Currently used: "PCIe x8 3.0"
No change due to removing the TB card.
😞

Anything else could try?
Is this Graphic card or Motherboard related?

Sounds like Mobo/Mobo bios related.

Chino
Level 15

Yes, I've tried that several times. I also tried to put the graphics card into the PCIEX16_3 slot which is also capable to use 16 lanes. Both with the same result: Only 8 lanes are used. 😞

Chino
Level 15

Yes, I've take that one out. No change.
I also tried to only put the graphics card in either slot PCIEx16_1 or PCIEX16_3 (No other card used in parallel). Also no change.
I'm using an M.2 device. This one is occupying 4 lanes. But they should not interfere with the graphics card.

HuckFinn wrote:
Yes, I've take that one out. No change.
I also tried to only put the graphics card in either slot PCIEx16_1 or PCIEX16_3 (No other card used in parallel). Also no change.
I'm using an M.2 device. This one is occupying 4 lanes. But they should not interfere with the graphics card.

Correct.

Are you running the latest BIOS for your motherboard? If no, update your BIOS to the latest revision using a FAT32 USB pendrive and the EZ Flash Utility. I would also like you to test your system with a single memory module.

Yes, I'm running the latest BIOS which is version 1003.
I just tested the system with one memory module only. Same result: x8.
I also tried a Clear CMOS after that. Still no change.
😞