cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring CPU While Playing Games

Not_Enough_Rage
Level 11
Is there a way to view CPU usage while playing games? I remember Nate152 posted a thread about viewing GPU information, CPU temps, system RAM usage and FPS rates by installing MSI Afterburner, but I don`t remember if he said CPU usage rates were displayed using that program.
I don`t have to see it while actually playing games. Is there an app built in on Windows that shows how the CPU performed during the game?

I know that Hwifo64 can tell me this also, but what time from is that info from? I think that info is read in that instant the app is opened.
12 REPLIES 12

gustmi4
Level 8
It is possible:
http://superuser.com/questions/453909/log-cpu-by-process-over-time

However, I myself prefer AfterBurner as it is very simple to choose what you want to log.
You can also choose what to show in the OSD (On Screen Display) and you can assign a hotkey (ie. F11) to display/hide the OSD while in game.
You have a vast amount of choices of what to log and independently what show in the OSD. (CPU usage in total and/or per core, GPU usage, GPU Frequency, Memory usage etc. etc.)
The benefit of using AfterBurner is that if you don't start the program it wont use any resources or log.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/afterburner-download-msi.html

-Mikael

Nate152
Hi Not_Enough_Rage

Click On Screen Display at the bottom of my post I tell you how to use the onscreen display with Afterburner.

Sounds like Afterburner is able to give plenty of options to monitor in game play. Thanks.

Nate152; If I have time this week end, I`ll go over your guide and install Afterburner. I knew you had the guide, but I was`nt sure if it could monitor CPU usage.

Nate152

Yea, it does show CPU percentage. Missed that. 😛

Nate152
I mentioned about On Screen Display being implemented into GPU Tweak and I think they are working on it, GPU Tweak will be the ultimate GPU tool when they get this done.

I just downloaded and set up Afterburner. But it killed the HWinfo64 program. I had HWinfo64 installed long before I installed Afterburner, and I just ran it minutes before I installed Afterburner. Now it does not open. 😞

Nate152
Try uninstalling hwinfo and installing it again, make sure you're installing the native 64-bit version.

Nate152 wrote:
Try uninstalling hwinfo and installing it again, make sure you're installing the native 64-bit version.

Works now. Had to download it 2 times though. Strange.