cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage 3 Extreme / 980x 1080/Titan X pascal advice required!

Biohazard7
Level 7
Hi, I'm a proud owner of the Asus ROG Rampage 3 Extreme.

I'm currently using 2x GTX480s with 3x2g Corsair Dominator GT (CMG6GX3M3A2000C8)v1 and Intel Core i7-980X
Corsair AX1200 PSU / 700D case
3x 22” Samsung SyncMaster 2233 3D LCDs 16:10 1680 x 1050 (x3)
I have a dual loop water cooling CPU+MB with EK blocks and the 2x EVGA Hydro Copper cards on the second loop.
I only used the OC to break some benchmark records initially and since then everything is running at stock speed, since I never felt the need of the OC for my daily use.

I'm planning to upgrade to 1080 or Titan X pascal and was wondering if my CPU or the current system in general will bottleneck it and how should I go with upgrading my ram without losing performance.
I’m also looking to upgrade my main monitor to a 24” 1080p G-sync one (any recommendations on that will be appreciated)
So, the reasoning behind this is having a single card which is more efficient and not having to deal with SLI. Plus I will get VR in the nearest future. Also I wonder if I should keep 1 of the 480s in for my other 2 side monitors and maybe just use it for physX if I absolutely have to.

To sum it up. The questions are:
1. How much RAM do I need (If I need over 12gb, I’ll have to get rid of my current dominators which I paid top $ for) and do I need to OC my system to keep up with the GPU, if so, any RAM recommendations with safe/stable OC settings will be appreciated.
2. Is there a need to keep one 480 in the system?
3. What’s the “best” 24” monitor I can get for 1080p 120mhz+ G-sync with low response time?

I mostly play Blizzard games and currently the most demanding one I is the overwatch. With that said it doesn’t mean I won’t be giving a shot to the new AAA titles.
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi Biohazard7

Welcome to the ROG forum.

You'll need at least 16GB of ram for the TitanX-P and it's probably not wise to spend money on upgrades for old hardware.

The 980x was a great cpu in its time but it's an old cpu now and will definitely hold you back. If you could swing a maximus viii board, 6700k and a fast 16GB DDR4 ram kit (3000MHz - 3200MHz) that would be the way to go. You should upgrade your system to get the full performance out of the new gpu's, that is if your budget allows.

With the 1080 and TitanX-P you could jump up to a 1440p monitor and have much better clarity with your games, I'm gaming at 1600P with the ROG Strix 1070. (60FPS)

You could even upgrade to a 980 Ti which would still destroy your 480's, my ROG matrix platinum 980 Ti is about 15 FPS faster than 680's in SLI.

So in short:

1) 16GB of ram with your system overclocked to the max is still going to hold back the new gpu's quite a bit.

2) No, a gtx 480 used as a PhysX card will slow performance.

3) Look at the 1440p monitors.

kkn
Level 14
dont even look or think about the titan, waste of monny.
look at the 980TI ( witch should be cheaper then it was if stil in stock ) or get the 1080 or if you want to blast it up and hope it dont cost too mutch the 1080TI when it comes out.
the 980TI/1080 will give you great FPS stil, i have overwatch and i dont remember what FPS i did have but it did run it smooth on 27" 1440P 144HZ monitor.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
From what I have read..that CPU may well limit the GPU. So OCing pretty mandatory.

And like Nate said...Titan X will run PhysX way better than 480. PhysX would not be a limit in most cases...especially not this one.

Thanks for the replys

My current system runs overwatch with all settings maxed out @ 140+ fps in SLI and with vsync enabled I get a stable 120fps. So overwatch is not an issue.

I'm not looking to upgrade my mobo+cpu just yet. Maybe in a year or 2.
Maybe when VR becomes more mainstream and a less limiting and intrusive MS operating system comes out (if ever). I'm still using win7ult.
As of now I just want to get a better single GPU which will support a nice gsync 24" monitor. I'll most probably will get the 1080.

What RAM do you recommend with my rampage3e x58 mobo to hold a stable OC on 980x? As far as I know my mobo supports triple channel DDR3 24gb max.
It has 6 slots but I'm not sure if it can hold stable OC with all slots used.

I will really appreciate a detailed recommendation on the RAM with possible OC settings, I'm currently on the latest 1502 bios.

Will this work? Corsair Vengeance memory 24GB 6 x 4GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9 (couldn't find anything better for now)

Also I noticed gtx 10 series having fast sync. So how viable is it compared to G-sync?

Quick UPDATE:

I placed orders for Corsair Vengeance 24gb kit CMZ24GX3M6A1600C9
AOC G2460PG 24" G-sync monitor

And unfortunately I had to go with 1070 for connectivity (DL-DVI-D x2) to connect my remaining monitors. GeForce® GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC (the best 10 series I could find with 2x DVI connections)
I’m planning to get a 1080ti once it’s out. Will I be able to use the 1080ti to power my AOC G2460PG 24" while still keeping the 1070 to connect my other 2 monitors? And how will it work? (I’m not sure if I can SLI different cards or how will my system choose which GPU to use?)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
SLI will not work between different cards like that. It has to be same memory quantity and same card type.

Menthol
Level 14
I'm surprised you found a card with 2 DVI connectors, I think you can use different cards to power different monitors, obviously connect which monitor to which video card you want then in Windows select which monitor is your primary display, second and third, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised how well that 1070 performs

I am curious as if the motherboard supports a new video card with a UEFI bios? please come back and let us know, although the board and CPU still has plenty of power it is aging but can fetch a good price on ebay

Can someone confirm or deny if rog rampage 3 extreme supports 1070 and the ram I ordered mentioned above?