cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone do the PG279Q Firmware Update?

jinetix
Level 7
Has anyone here sent in their monitor to get the firmware update done? If so, please share your experience.

I have a PG279Q that's a couple months past the Amazon return period so I am contemplating sending it in for the firmware update as I'm having issues with a vertical slice of the middle of my monitor moving toward the right edge of my screen.

I've had good luck with the panel lottery and got a PG279q with no light bleeding issues so I have a few concerns with this firmware update process.

Did the firmware update fix the issue for you?
Did you get the monitor back in the same condition you sent it in?
Did you get the same monitor back or was it replaced with a different unit (serial number)?
How long were you without a monitor?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

NicMic
Level 7
Nobody ? Or did noone get their monitor back ? 😛
Which firmware version contains the fix ?

I would like to have mine updated but to be completely honest, I don't trust shipping them out of state back and forth multiple times, or having an underpaid, underappreciated, foreign worker that is sick of flashing these by hand handle any of my 3 screens that I spent a month shipping back and forth for replacements because of garbage quality control.

I must also say I am getting quite disgusted in 2016 with all these companies that believe they have the right to control consumers devices after a sale is made, there is no reason a customer should not be able to perform a firmware update on a piece of hardware they own now days.

And as far as my comments about someone being sick of flashing these by hand, don't forget all back stock also needs to be updated, at this point I am disappointed I cant just send my monitors back for a refund, but have definitely learned from my mistake buying monitors from Asus.

That's my main concern. I just want to receive the same monitor back flashed with the new firmware. I've dealt with companies in that past that swapped me out with a refurb that had other issues.

It really is a shame that consumers cant flash the hardware themselves. Also sucks that I have to pay for and find my own sufficient packaging material and shipping.

I looked up the address of the ASUS Service Center I need to ship it to and it comes up as a company called Atan Gteh in City of Industry. With no reviews or information about the company on google, I'm not sure I feel comfortable sending it in.

I'm surprised no one is chiming in with their service experience. I was under the impression that many users were experiencing this issue and needed a fix.

Basically every single monitor "PG279Q" out from September 2016? going back has this issue, its not exclusive to Asus, Acer is also having this issue.

But yeah as stated before on my end of things, 2400 dollars invested in 3 of these and the solution to fix problems is ship them back.... really they should just be sending me and most other people new monitors especially considering I just purchased these mid July and they already knew about the problem then and just didn't say much or anything about it and still let sales go through and that's with them still being in denial about their quality control issues.

"Went through a hefty handful of replacements to get the 3 I have, problems ranging from dirt behind the screens, light literally shining out the side of the bezel on the monitor like a flashlight, even got 1 that was scratched and fingerprinted all over the screen"

Froto wrote:
Basically every single monitor "PG279Q" out from September 2016? going back has this issue, its not exclusive to Asus, Acer is also having this issue.

But yeah as stated before on my end of things, 2400 dollars invested in 3 of these and the solution to fix problems is ship them back.... really they should just be sending me and most other people new monitors especially considering I just purchased these mid July and they already knew about the problem then and just didn't say much or anything about it and still let sales go through and that's with them still being in denial about their quality control issues.

"Went through a hefty handful of replacements to get the 3 I have, problems ranging from dirt behind the screens, light literally shining out the side of the bezel on the monitor like a flashlight, even got 1 that was scratched and fingerprinted all over the screen"

The weirdest thing is, after I've done some research on the panel this monitor and the Acer monitor uses, I deduced that it was a problem related to NVIDIA G-Sync. Out of curiosity, I plugged the ROG Swift PG279q to the HDMI 1.4 output of my Z170 motherboard to use the Intel HD 530 iGPU and the problem still persists. It doesn't matter if you're running the monitor with G-Sync on or off, off the iGPU or dedicated. I cant exactly predict when it'll happen, I usually notice it while I'm gaming or when I'm using my code editor, which is especially disruptive of my work flow.

Turning the monitor on and off gets rid of the issue, but it surfaces again eventually, necessitating me to turn the monitor on and off again multiple times in a session.

I'm really surprised ASUS isn't providing the level of service I would expect for an expensive premium monitor such as this one. I feel the lack of response from an ASUS representative on the forum is also indicative that the company doesn't really care about the concerns their consumers may have.

If anyone has done the firmware update process with ASUS, please share your experience! ❤️

jinetix wrote:
The weirdest thing is, after I've done some research on the panel this monitor and the Acer monitor uses, I deduced that it was a problem related to NVIDIA G-Sync. Out of curiosity, I plugged the ROG Swift PG279q to the HDMI 1.4 output of my Z170 motherboard to use the Intel HD 530 iGPU and the problem still persists. It doesn't matter if you're running the monitor with G-Sync on or off, off the iGPU or dedicated. I cant exactly predict when it'll happen, I usually notice it while I'm gaming or when I'm using my code editor, which is especially disruptive of my work flow.

Turning the monitor on and off gets rid of the issue, but it surfaces again eventually, necessitating me to turn the monitor on and off again multiple times in a session.

I'm really surprised ASUS isn't providing the level of service I would expect for an expensive premium monitor such as this one. I feel the lack of response from an ASUS representative on the forum is also indicative that the company doesn't really care about the concerns their consumers may have.

If anyone has done the firmware update process with ASUS, please share your experience! ❤️

Well incase you didn't know, that when G-Sync first came out it only came with Display Port since that was the only input that Nvidia decided to add for the monitor.

The PG279Q and above models do have 2nd generation G-Sync module in order to have another input for HDMI for fixed rate only.

So you could say its using Nvidia standard scaller for the HDMI input, but they still try to match the standards requirements that other monitor has, when it comes to inputs such as HDMI and able pass through audio. (Since you never know people may also want to connect it to console or other sources that needed video and audio through HDMI.

Asus couldnt add HDMI on this monitor due to the 1st Generation of G-Sync, but has asked Nvidia to include that for their G-Sync module, since other people would also like to connect it to other sources of stuff, not just their PC's etc.

But from what been said, the firmware seems to fix the issue from Display Port but may also as well on HDMI, since they are both connected to the G-Sync Module, (On or Off)

Bahz
Level 12
Sorry that I'm late to this discussion. Regarding why the monitor is having issues not with just Nvidia cards is because the monitor is built on Nvidia technology, this is why we required the base firmware from Nvidia in order to develop our own firmware for our monitor to address this issue. I have received feedback from 3 users so far who have sent back their monitors to do the firmware update and the issues are now fixed for them.

Bahz wrote:
Sorry that I'm late to this discussion. Regarding why the monitor is having issues not with just Nvidia cards is because the monitor is built on Nvidia technology, this is why we required the base firmware from Nvidia in order to develop our own firmware for our monitor to address this issue. I have received feedback from 3 users so far who have sent back their monitors to do the firmware update and the issues are now fixed for them.

Great! Thanks for your response.

So the service center just takes apart the monitor and performs a firmware update on the G-Sync module? My main concern is the possibility of the service center swapping my monitor with a refurbished unit. I've had warranty work done on monitors in the past and this was always the way manufacturers handled warranty issues and the replacement monitors always had issues that I couldn't get past. Really want to avoid going through this again.

NicMic
Level 7
Hello,
So, is there a way to know if the monitor I want to buy has the fix or not ?