CPU CoolerCooler Master 212X
    CaseCooler Master
    Power SupplyRosewell RX750-S-B
    Keyboard Logitech G110
    Mouse Razer Deathhadder Elite
    Mouse Pad Rocketfish
    OS Windows 7

set up assistance

I hope its ok to post my questions here. My questions are MB and video related but I'm trying to set everything up to play Arma3 with the best performance I can get.

MB - Crosshair V Formula Z
    CPU - FX 8350
    Memory - Trident 1866 16GB
    GPU - GTX 660 TF

MB Questions:

I have BIOS version 2201, I cant find anywhere that lists what the current version is, is this the correct? I tried the update option in AI Suite but nothing happened.

Does the MB control the fan speed?

Q Codes - I've seen 80, 66 and AA. I believe AA means all is ok but after a while 80 shows up and I've seen 66 a few times. I cant find them in the manual.

Fast Start - does it make any difference that I would be concerned about if its on or off?

Game First - I don't see this in the start menu following the instructions in the manual, do I need this? How do I find it?

MB Updates - other than the BIOS, do I need to update any of the other features such as sound or anything else I may be missing?

Level up - I really don't want to learn to much about overclocking, at least not until I see what this MB does initially. Is this option the same as overclocking?

The only thing I've done so far is set the memory timing. I've run a RealBench test but don't understand the words or numbers it gave lol and I've run a stress test with the only result being "passed" and "Result Hash Match!" (this was listed twice) does this mean anything?

These questions might be out of the realm of ROG but I figured I'd give it a shot before heading to NVidea, I understand if no one has any info.

I have the GTX 660 TF and recently installed the GeForce Experience and just selected the option for this program to optimize Arma 3 itself. Is this acceptable? I also have Afterburner but not really familiar with the overclocking process....yet

Are there any options/setting the MB has to improve the performance of the GPU?

I've been only experimenting outside of multiplayer mode in Arma 3 but I'm only averaging 40 FPS without making any adjustments.

Sorry for so many questions and even if only a few get answered, I truly appreciate it. I'd really like to tune my system in for this game.

Thanks,

Reno

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

I think 2201 is the latest, yes.

Yes, the MB will have some control for fan speed....monitoring tab of BIOS should have options.

Boot codes....should just cycle through them and stop on AA when hand over to windows occurs....you mean it end up on 80 or 66? If so does it hang and need reboot or is this in Windows?

Fast start...probably not...

Game first...certainly don't need it...but I have never used it so can't help on that one...

Drivers...make sure you install chipset MEI and LAN drivers....latest sound if you use onboard.

Level up is OCing yes...BIOS will auto "tune"

RealBench....if you ran selecting maximum memory and got hash match and passed then means you are stable...good to go...

GForce experience is totally unacceptable to me ....but nah...joking aside...you are probably good to go there too...

ROG Junior Member Array MajReno PC Specs
    MajReno PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair V Formula Z
    ProcessorFX 8350
    Memory (part number)F3-1866C8D-16GTX
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1050 TI
    MonitorACER GN246HL
    CPU CoolerCooler Master 212X
    CaseCooler Master
    Power SupplyRosewell RX750-S-B
    Keyboard Logitech G110
    Mouse Razer Deathhadder Elite
    Mouse Pad Rocketfish
    OS Windows 7

Hi Arne and thanks a bunch for the info.

Q codes - I've noticed the board will show AA at startup but when I'm ready to shut down that is when I've seen these codes. The past 2 days I've seen 30 and 64 at shut down, 64 has been that last 2 times.

I've gone ahead and uninstalled Game First and Geforce Experience, I've seen several reviews stating these were not necessarily needed, thanks for the advice.

I went to the ROG driver list and updated the ones you recommended. I can tell the audio driver version is now updated but couldn't tell if the LAN did. There wasn't a reference for the "MEI" chipset but I did download the link that said chipset but this too I cant tell if it was successful. I looked at the version listed in CPUZ and it listed the same version before install and after, am I missing something?

I did a level up and tried the first level and then the extreme, as it was recycling through the various tests it crashed and stopped at 4.2. I also ran a benchmark and this appeared to give me the best scores so far.

Now my only problem is trying to get my FPS up. I'm still running around 30FPS in Arma3. Will overclocking to 4.8 help with this or is it all around the GPU? I've read that others are getting at least 60FPS with the same card.

Thanks again for responding to my questions, I'm much closer to having this rig dialed in.

Reno

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array haihane PC Specs
    haihane PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD FX 8350
    Memory (part number)Gskill F3-2400C10-8GTX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS HD 6950
    Storage #1WD Velociraptor 1TB
    Storage #2Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 120XL
    CaseCooler Master Silencio 650
    Power SupplyCorsair HX850
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Logitech G500
    OS Windows 7 X64
    Network RouterLinksys E2500

Quote Originally Posted by MajReno View Post
    Q codes - I've noticed the board will show AA at startup but when I'm ready to shut down that is when I've seen these codes. The past 2 days I've seen 30 and 64 at shut down, 64 has been that last 2 times.
    i wouldn't worry about Q-code: AA.

i have a suspicion that Qcode 30 and 64 don't mean anything important (but of course i could be wrong). i mainly use Q codes to diagnose problems (by referring to motherboard manual Q code table), though it doesn't say much there, but at least it narrows down to a specific thing for me to focus on.

i don't have easy access to my own CF5F-Z since i don't have a windowed panel (and i was a little bit lazy too nowadays - admittedly). but if it shuts down properly, i didn't have the urgency to peek over and look at it.

I've gone ahead and uninstalled Game First and Geforce Experience, I've seen several reviews stating these were not necessarily needed, thanks for the advice.
    GameFirst, i could no longer live without it (lol. this maybe a slight exaggeration). let me tell you something: when windows 10 was released with the free upgrade rights, and the old ASUS Gamefirst II (provided for free at the time for win7 series) was outright nuked by microsoft after the upgrade, i tried forcing win7 x64 installation to work on windows 10, which worked to some degree with its own lil bitsy bugs. but eventually i forked out da extra money to cfosspeed for the full version. reason was simple: my grandma hogs the internet to herself all for youtube and what other i didn't even know nor care. without Gamefirst, the lag during gaming was much worse than with. also, i run a multi monitor setup, and have the unfortunate habit of watching youtube or twitch while gaming. Gamefirst helped plenty in this regard. but to each their own. if you don't need this, and would rather a clean-clean system, yeah i respect that.

Geforce experience, i didn't quite like it myself. it does help a bit when my own system is somewhat inadequate to run certain games (Geforce experience auto-tunes da game settings, but not without its own hiccups).

Now my only problem is trying to get my FPS up. I'm still running around 30FPS in Arma3. Will overclocking to 4.8 help with this or is it all around the GPU? I've read that others are getting at least 60FPS with the same card.
    i don't know about Arma3, whether that game is very much cpu intensive.

you can try overclocking your CPU to 4.8 GHz and see if that improves anything. in fact, when i read this line of yours, i was immediately reminded of jayz2cents' video:

the 60 FPS claim you've read, you shouldn't pay it too much attention unless it's totally verifiable instead of a one sided inflated claim.
    one way to know if your card or system is performing as should, go download 3dmark and run the benchmarks and compare the results online. similar specs should deliver similar scores, +- 10% deviation.

IF, on 3dmark, your own system if performing much worse than your peers', we may have a cause to worry about.
    no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array haihane PC Specs
    haihane PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD FX 8350
    Memory (part number)Gskill F3-2400C10-8GTX
    Graphics Card #1ASUS HD 6950
    Storage #1WD Velociraptor 1TB
    Storage #2Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 120XL
    CaseCooler Master Silencio 650
    Power SupplyCorsair HX850
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Logitech G500
    OS Windows 7 X64
    Network RouterLinksys E2500

slight pet peeve, which i can't seem to ignore:

4.8 GHz on an 8350? pay very close attention to VRM temps. for my own system, i ziptie-rigged a dedicated 120mm fan to blow on general VRM area just because i started noticing on-chassis SD-card reading device started appearing and disappearing from device manager list.
    also because, the VRM temps reported on HWinfo64 reached some pretty scary temps.

and i run my system on stock speed (i don't even OC the CPU to run the TridentX on 2400 MHz anymore, but at standard 1600 MHz).
    i've probably owned this FX 8350 / CF5F-Z for about 4 years. i may have made some mistakes along the way (late in noticing the high VRM temps for so long until recently), and the damn thing still works. i'm grateful enough.

just putting this out here so you don't make the same mistake.
    no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Active cooling for VRM is a must OCing....get a good strong fan on there...this is good advice...

Qcode 30 is a sleep code...you sure you are shutting down or is something set to hibernate/sleep? Check windows settings...power plan etc.

Sorry...there should have been a comma in my post....MEI driver and chipset driver are separate drivers.

GPU is probably the main driver of FPS...OCing CPU will help some no doubt...

You seen guides on YouTube etc.? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csb60KxkebM etc.