cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XMP makes my CPU voltage stay at 1.249

spritex23
Level 7
Hello all, so I enabled XMP on my RAM and now my CPU voltage stays at 1.249. Before I enabled XMP the voltage would be varied depending on what my clock speeds were. I tried changing my voltage to adaptive + at a maximum turbo of 1.25 but the computer won't boot when I do that. I'm not really interested in overclocking my CPU, I just want XMP so my RAM is running at it's full potential. My computer specs are as follows:

RVE Edition 10 1003 BIOS
6900k watercooled with a Corsair 115i
32GB Corsair Dominator XMP capable of 3000MHz CMD32GX4M4C3000C15
EVGA 1080GTX FTW x2 SLI mode
Corsair 1050HX power supply
5 REPLIES 5

kaese
Level 10
spritex23 wrote:
I'm not really interested in overclocking my CPU, I just want XMP so my RAM is running at it's full potential.

....technically when you run your RAM at 3000 MHz you are overclocking the CPU (its memory controller) and your CPU will typically require a higher voltage.
1.249 V seems a little high though - possibly you can tweak it manually to a lower voltage, or live with it, or you can try 2800 MHz XMP (you wont notice much of a difference anyways)

Menthol
Level 14
Did the XMP profile set the blck to 125 from default 100?, adaptive does not work properly except at a blck of 100
I would suggest not using XMP but setting the RAM manually to XMP settings, set profile to manual instead of XMP set memory speed to 3000mhz, set memory voltage to 1.35 to 1.4, set first 4 timings manually to the rated timings of your memory, try this and get back to us with results

Menthol wrote:
Did the XMP profile set the blck to 125 from default 100?, adaptive does not work properly except at a blck of 100
I would suggest not using XMP but setting the RAM manually to XMP settings, set profile to manual instead of XMP set memory speed to 3000mhz, set memory voltage to 1.35 to 1.4, set first 4 timings manually to the rated timings of your memory, try this and get back to us with results

Yup, that was it right there. I set the BLCK and CPU Strap to 100 and adaptive seems to work now. I left DRAM at 1.35. Just wondering, what's normal for CPU Input Voltage? I have mine set on auto and it gets as high as 1.95 sometimes. I bumped my CPU to 4.2 @ 1.249 CPU voltage, but it's still getting pretty hot (up to 98c) with Prime95

spritex23 wrote:
Yup, that was it right there. I set the BLCK and CPU Strap to 100 and adaptive seems to work now. I left DRAM at 1.35. Just wondering, what's normal for CPU Input Voltage? I have mine set on auto and it gets as high as 1.95 sometimes. I bumped my CPU to 4.2 @ 1.249 CPU voltage, but it's still getting pretty hot (up to 98c) with Prime95

From https://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/5/

CPU Input Voltage: This provides the 1.80VDC input to the CPU. All primary internal voltage rails are derived and re-regulated from this voltage source. When the CPU is overclocked, this voltage needs to be increased. We recommend keeping the CPU Input Voltage at least 0.45V higher than CPU Vcore, otherwise the system may become unstable or need a higher level of Vcore for stability. The maximum voltage we use is 1.95V set in UEFI. Do note that the actual voltage supplied to the CPU is affected by the LLC setting within the External DIGI+ Power Control menu.

Oubadah
Level 7
Why does Asus feel the need to screw with additional things when enabling XMP?