cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor getting hot too quickly

PixelMort
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my build. My computer was in a sleep mode for few days, and when I tried to boot it, it shut down after 5 seconds. I tried an other time and acheived to be in the BIOS for few seconds enough to notice that my processor was at 85°C, and my Corsair H110 was not really pumping (I guess). At the end, I saw the QCode 00, which means that it is related to the proco.
I opened my case, and touch the metal around it and it was burning. I waited few hours to let my proco to cool down.
After that, I tried to reboot it and I achieved to go to the BIOS. There, I saw the temperature of the proco taking 1°C per second. I waited until at least 50-60°C, I shut down my computer then.

So here I am. I down know if it is related to my processor or my cooling system. Actually, it is my second time I am facing heating problems, and I'm quite pissed about water cooling. I am planning to change for a Noctua NH-D15 (if my RAM/Case allowed it).

My question is : what do you think guy ? I do not have enough experience to tell if my processor behave normally without a cooling system, or if my processor got damaged already and I wasted 500euros...

My setup :
Asus X99 RAMPAGE V USB3.0
Intel 5930K
Corsair H110i
ASUS GTX 970 STRIX
G.SKILLS RIPJAWS 4 series black 32Go 2666MHz
Corsair 850W

thanks guys !
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
It's normal. The CPU will shutdown to protect itself when a certain temperature is reached.

RMA your liquid cooler or replace it.

snafup
Level 7
PixelMort wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my build. My computer was in a sleep mode for few days, and when I tried to boot it, it shut down after 5 seconds. I tried an other time and acheived to be in the BIOS for few seconds enough to notice that my processor was at 85°C, and my Corsair H110 was not really pumping (I guess). At the end, I saw the QCode 00, which means that it is related to the proco.
I opened my case, and touch the metal around it and it was burning. I waited few hours to let my proco to cool down.
After that, I tried to reboot it and I achieved to go to the BIOS. There, I saw the temperature of the proco taking 1°C per second. I waited until at least 50-60°C, I shut down my computer then.

So here I am. I down know if it is related to my processor or my cooling system. Actually, it is my second time I am facing heating problems, and I'm quite pissed about water cooling. I am planning to change for a Noctua NH-D15 (if my RAM/Case allowed it).

My question is : what do you think guy ? I do not have enough experience to tell if my processor behave normally without a cooling system, or if my processor got damaged already and I wasted 500euros...

My setup :
Asus X99 RAMPAGE V USB3.0
Intel 5930K
Corsair H110i
ASUS GTX 970 STRIX
G.SKILLS RIPJAWS 4 series black 32Go 2666MHz
Corsair 850W

thanks guys !

My cooler died and did the exact thing. I got bsod from quick overheats.
I have the same cooler and the software said everything was fine
My cpu is fine. It will shut itself off to protect itself before the heat kills it.

RMA that cooler. They will replace it. I got a new a new one and the temps went back to normal.

Thank you for your answer. I'm relieved..!

I'm quite disappointed about Corsair Waterblock. What do you use to cool down the proc ? I wanted the Noctua NH-D15, or Be Quiet DRP3, but the PCI-E 1 will be blocked.

For this mobo, the only solution for a good cooling is to go through water cooling..?

Thank you...

BondJamesBond
Level 7
Hi Pixelmort,

I just purchased a R5E10 with a Noctua NH-D15S (the "S" at the end is important)., along with a second fan from Noctua, NF-A15 PWM 140x150x25.
This Air Cooler has good clearance of the PCI-E 1 slot. I just finished my build yesterday, and it confirms what Noctua says on their compatibility list (here: http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s/comp#socket_2769_manuf_30)
I have enough clearance for my MSI GTX 980 in first slot.
Now I haven't started overclocking yet, just staying in optimized default settings for the installation of the different apps I need, but at these settings, an OCCT test for 10 minutes
gave me a CPU Temp of 56° max. In idle the temps are around 33°C with an ambient temperature of 22°C and an open case.
Will start overclocking in about a fortnight or so.

Good luck
Lian-LI Tower PC-2120
Rampage 4 Extreme Motherboard
CPU: Intel i7 3930k o/ced at 4,4 GHz
G.Skill Ripjaws Z - F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH running at 2133 Mhz
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Cooler
CoolerMaster Silent Pro MII 1500 W
2 Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB each in RAID 0 for OS WIN 7 Ultimate
2 Seagate HDD 2TB each
MSI N680GTX-PM2D2GD5 Graphic Card

Hi James Bond !

Thank you, I didn't know about the S model. Very interesting. Thank you for the tip, this might be my next cooler..! 🙂

Keep me in touch for your O/C