cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus rog g551jw - extremly low fps

Stricken
Level 7
hi guys.

Okay will try to make this short. I bought my asus rog g551 jw 960m (12 gb ram) about 8 months ago, it s a great laptop, it ran most games such as witcher 3 on high settings.
Unfortunately I took it to a repair shop to have it cleaned as it was very dusty and overheating alot. After i got it back everything was perfect, except when i got home
after uni I went to play some dota 2 with my friends. I mean the fps was about 8-12 on it. It was unplayable by far. Only to games it happens like this, I mean every game.

I went with the most obvious thing and reinstalled my windows, deleted everything , updated drivers , went to bios to see if there was something wrong there , then installed
steam. The exact problem, just a tiny bit better, it was unplayable.

Took it back to the repair shop told them about it, and said it can t be a software problem, so they kept it there for 2 weeks, ran alot of test on it , like furmark , realbench
and so on.

I got it back today, they told me both drivers are working perfectly( intel i7 and nvidia 960m) , and that there is no hardware problem watsoever.
So i took it home, installed a game(dota 2), and the same result happened (still between 6-12 fps).The laptop is not overheating at all , and it starts up in mere seconds, as with any other program.

I am confused, there is nothing I can change now, i'm not sure if the warranty went away as they opened the laptop to clean it at the repair shop. Is there something else
I can do?

best regards.( sorry if the text is all over the place )
4 REPLIES 4

Dreamonic
Level 12
You're probably playing off the iGPU (integrated) instead of the dGPU (dedicated) as your model has Optimus. I read no mention of you knowing that in your post. Just check your NVIDIA Control Panel and make sure in Manage 3D settings > Global Settings tab > High-performance NVIDIA processor is selected like in the picture below. Then test your games again.

Dreamonic
Level 12
You're probably playing off the iGPU (integrated) instead of the dGPU (dedicated) as your model has Optimus. I read no mention of you knowing that in your post. Just check your NVIDIA Control Panel and make sure in Manage 3D settings > Global Settings tab > High-performance NVIDIA processor is selected like in the picture below. Then test your games again.

thank,yes I forgot to mention that but I did do it and restarted the game just to be sure it set in but still the same result. I'm afraid it might be a problem where i might need to change the motherboard or the graphic card. And that is more than the laptop is worth atm.

Stricken
Level 7
thank,yes I forgot to mention that but I did do it and restarted the game just to be sure it set in but still the same result. I'm afraid it might be a problem where i might need to change the motherboard or the graphic card. And that is more than the laptop is worth atm.